English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 02 April 2008, 11:16   #1
kodek

making amiga hdd on pc

please help

i have found one 2.5 hdd i have winuae and i have all original wb floppies and i have classic WB lite copy

i want to install that classic wb lite on 2.5" hdd and then run it on my amiga 1200

---

but i cant find any way how to format my hdd and how to extract classic wb image to that hdd

---

i have digged out google and EAB wiki - but i cant find how

maybe im too L4M3

please help !

Old 02 April 2008, 15:35   #2
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodek View Post
please help

i have found one 2.5 hdd i have winuae and i have all original wb floppies and i have classic WB lite copy

i want to install that classic wb lite on 2.5" hdd and then run it on my amiga 1200

---

but i cant find any way how to format my hdd and how to extract classic wb image to that hdd

---

i have digged out google and EAB wiki - but i cant find how

maybe im too L4M3

please help !

I think all you need to do is install the hdd in you 1200 and then boot to the Install floppy that you should have. I believe the Install floppy will partition/format the hdd and install WB. Doing this will give you the regular WB, I don't know about the WB light.
Old 02 April 2008, 15:44   #3
alphonsus

Install disk crashes

Depending on which hd install disk you've got, the Workbench install routine might crash (mine did for no apparent reason).
If so, use the install disk to partition the drive, then boot from your wb floppy. Format the hard drive, which should be visible on the wb window/desktop. Use the CLI to copy sys:#? all dh0: (or whatever you've called your hard drive). Then you can eject and reboot and hopefully it will boot from the hard drive.
Good luck.
Old 02 April 2008, 19:11   #4
kodek

hey i just realised that LOCAL and STORAGE floppies are missing

but i have thay as amiga ADF files on my pc hdd

is there any chance to burn tghem to floppy with pc ? ;/

--------

i also tryed to copy wb on my hd with the winuae .
but winuae dont find it as hdd - maybe because it is fat32

fuck - im really stuck , but i still want run AHX and other trackers on my amiga
i have ldsj and gameboy but it diont give mne that CRUNCHYY sound of commodore ; )

__

+ is there any chance to make bootable 720k floppy with only AHX on it ??

Old 03 April 2008, 00:20   #5
JDunlap

You need a program that will change the partition type on the hard drive to type 0x76. Otherwise, the HD will be useless once placed in the Amiga. You could try Acronis Disk Manager, which will const about $50 US or you could try the USB partitioning software mentioned somewhere on these forums (search for it). Sorry, I do not remember what it was called, but it is free and was in a topic talking about how to use a flash drive as an HD in WinUAE. This program is free and will also allow you to change the partition type of a regular HD.

After you change the partition type, you will need to boot using your WB disk (the ADF will work) and partition the drive as you want it and then format it. You can then copy any files to it that you want to. I have done this three times now and have always installed the WB lite to a HDF file and then prepared the hard drive for use. You could then boot to the HDF and use DOpus to copy all of the files to the real HD. It's always worked for me at least

Hope this helps.

BTW, there is no way to write Amiga floppies on a normal PC. It requires special hardware as the Amiga floppy drive controller was programmable, where the PC one is not and can not write the proper format for Amiga. (This is why Amiga can read PC disks, but not the other way around.)

Last edited by JDunlap; 03 April 2008 at 00:25.
Old 03 April 2008, 00:23   #6
JDunlap

Okay, found it. It is the Ranish Partition Manager, and can be found here. You will need to download an ISO and burn it to CD. Then, boot from the CD and change the partition to type 0x76. This is RDB for the Amiga and will allow WinUAE to see the HD as an Amiga drive.
Old 03 April 2008, 08:16   #7
kodek

hey man thank you alot ! I DID IT ! i have even two 200 mb partitions on my amiga ;D i used one manual for CF cards

great AHX tracker is runninng ! ;++ sometimes i ca move m mouse arrouund mut cant click to anyything - it is problem in soft or in mouse ?

Old 03 April 2008, 08:20   #8
thomas

Quote:
change the partition to type 0x76. This is RDB for the Amiga
That's complete nonsense. 0x76 partitions are for Amithlon only. If you want to use the same HDD to boot your PC and to store AmigaOS within Amithlon, then you can use such a partition.

A real Amiga cannot do anything with this kind of HDD. You have to add the entire HDD to WinUAE, not only a partition. Then you can install an RDB to it so that the Amiga can read it. The RDB overwrites the MBR, deleting all PC partitions, including 0x76 ones.

You might have to disable WinUAE's safety check to do this. Search the forums for details.
Old 03 April 2008, 20:34   #9
OddbOd

It's probably Toni that caused JDunlap's confusion as nobody pointed out in previous threads (here and here) that creating an RDB disk inside an MBR partition is only suitable for use with WinUAE or Amithlon and that a disk created this way will not work with a real Amiga.
Old 04 April 2008, 01:03   #10
JDunlap

Quote:
A real Amiga cannot do anything with this kind of HDD.
I beg to differ. If it will not work, then someone needs to explain why I now have an A1200 and an A600 running on HDs that were BOTH created using exactly this method. I did exactly what was described above. Perhaps the HDInstTools actually overwrite the MBR with RDB when you prepare and partition the HD within WinUAE???

Quote:
You have to add the entire HDD to WinUAE, not only a partition.
I also disagree here. I have an external HD partitioned with two NTFS partitions and one that is 0x76. One of the two NTFS partitions contains WinUAE which I run and use the 0x76 partition as the Amiga's hard drive.

I also have a USB Flash Drive partitioned similarly and do the same thing.
Old 10 April 2008, 07:22   #11
OddbOd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDunlap View Post
Perhaps the HDInstTools actually overwrite the MBR with RDB when you prepare and partition the HD within WinUAE???
If you select the entire disk rather than a partition then yes it does, if the disks work connected to a real Amiga then this is what you did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDunlap View Post
I also disagree here. <snip>
Thomas was speaking in the context of Amiga hardware compatibility, perhaps a subtle distinction but he is definitely correct. As an aside Toni has mentioned on several occassions that direct disk access in the manner you describe might incur a performance penalty over using a hardfile because Windows write caching is not used.
Old 11 April 2008, 05:42   #12
JDunlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd View Post
If you select the entire disk rather than a partition then yes it does, if the disks work connected to a real Amiga then this is what you did.
I would have to place the drive back into my PC to check to see if this is the case. I only use the PC to prepare the drive, then run it in the Amiga. I am currently working on switching over to compact flash instead of an HD, so I will check it then.