English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 August 2001, 01:10   #1
Unregistered

Eek Godflesh FTP..

One of godflesh's FTP is up...

// FTP information removed after FTP's owner request.
// check out the Amiga Emulation Nation website for FTPs info.

Old 01 August 2001, 01:57   #2
Ian
Global Moderator

I'm sure this will please many a newbie ......... And L**c**r'*
Old 01 August 2001, 03:08   #3
Ian
Global Moderator

If this is true ...

... I think the whole GodFlesh issue has gone way too far for some people.

Quote:
Extract from GF's site

Somebody hacked one of my new ftp's and deleted everything on it. Gues some people don't like sharing old software and try to stop the hosting of the AEN collection. This is only a minor setback though with little or no impact...
Now I dislike his actions of late as much as anyone, but surely this is too much?
Old 01 August 2001, 06:04   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Oh puh-leeeeze! Unless he has deleted the post(s), he stated several times in the past that the reason for the delay of the ftp's was that he would be running them from CD ROM's and he was waiting for a new CD to arrive before this could happen. Now, he has had enough time to download several CD's worth of data on a 2400 baud modem since this was promised, but that's another story.

What I am wondering is how someone can delete the files from his CD archive. Possibly CD-RW? Hehehehe...gimme a break. Man, that sure didn't last long. Who could have delete privs on a CD even if run from the HD? Why would someone be given delete privs anyhow? And how would they be able to also delete the logs? Oh....the site was 'hacked'! Haven't we heard this story before? Hackers were waiting until the day his ftp went live and managed to get in there and delete everything. Right. If it's a 'minor setback and little or no impact', why would this not be something that could happen every single day of the ftp's being online. If this story is true, it sounds like an insecure ftp and could never function if he has this kind of enemies who could wipe him out in mere hours after going online.

And if anyone really has enemies of this calibre, then that says loads about your 'popularity'...

Man, I have heard some far-fetched stuff before, but this one is the most un-convincing rubbish I have seen since "the ftp's are the main priority"! And then trying to put the blame on people trying to stop him? Maybe it was one of his enemies...maybe one of us!!!

I guess when you host a ghost town, you have lots of time to think this stuff up. Perhaps this should have been posted to "Unsorted Nonsence" (sic)... If I am wrong and this is all true, it still raises a whole bunch of questions that just don't really seem to add up. Call me a cynic...
Old 01 August 2001, 07:14   #5
APFelon
Cable Buyer

Many can't understand how someone hacked into the FTP when Godflesh hasn't made the IP address public. I would like you to consider this-

Perhaps a elite squad of psychic friends devined the IP address for the perp, and then cast runes and read pig knuckles in order to discover the admin password. Sound crazy? Kennedy assassination/Hindenberg/Dunkurk evacuation/Waterloo- ALL PSYCHICS.

So before you dismiss GFs accusations as excuses, CONSIDER THE PSYCHICS.
Old 01 August 2001, 10:04   #6
Unregistered

Please remove this thread (ASAP)....

..untill I get more ftp's up...

Old 01 August 2001, 10:11   #7
Unregistered

Instead supporting me to make something really big and usfull to a lot of people, some of you only run your mouth without knowing the real facts.

I'd rather have that my site is not mentioned at all here.

(ADMIN: Please remove this thread also...)

Old 01 August 2001, 10:34   #8
RCK
Administrator

Question

I don't really understand you on this point Godflesh.
(I suppose it is you)

All those informations can be publicly found on your website: Amiga Emulation Nation
why do you want to remove them ?!

People have the right to speak about it, I don't see any problem.
could you explain your point of view ?
Old 01 August 2001, 11:54   #9
Khephren

Is this the point in time and space where I am supposed to give a shit whether GFs FTP are up or down or whatever the fuck they are?

@APFelon

You think that hackers who can get into government web sites will find these FTP sites very difficult? The real thing that puzzles me is an image in my head of a hacker going around saying he's wiped an ftp site of amiga stuff. Hardly good for his credibility.

@Godflesh
This isn't your board, so don't stifle criticism however justified it is.

Old 01 August 2001, 21:35   #10
Unregistered

Because..

I don't want the news out yet because I want to get more ftp's online before it is posted on any site/forum (including my own)...so please do me a favour and remove all messages concerning the ftp's ASAP.

thanks

Old 01 August 2001, 21:43   #11
Unregistered

p.s one of the ftp's getting hacked had nothing to do with me...one of my sysops made a "little" ftp security mistake.

Luckily he had everything backed up...and will host his mirror soon.

Old 01 August 2001, 21:51   #12
RCK
Administrator

Re: Because..

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I don't want the news out yet because I want to get more ftp's online before it is posted on any site/forum (including my own)...so please do me a favour and remove all messages concerning the ftp's ASAP.

thanks
okay, no problem
you just had to ask it "politely"

be aware, these FTP informations are always available on your home page, so people may consider that these infos are "public" again.
Old 02 August 2001, 00:10   #13
Ian
Global Moderator

Ask politely

And 9 times out of 10 (If the request is reasonable) you'll get what you want ....... A lesson for us all, I think
Old 02 August 2001, 00:18   #14
Unregistered

topics still here...

please remove...

I have asked 3 times today (nicely) to remove the topics about the ftp's and they are still here!

Why do you keep ignoring my request??? :?

Old 02 August 2001, 00:38   #15
Ian
Global Moderator

The info

Has been removed Godflesh, for instance the address and login for your ftp are no longer there.

See RCK's comments below the orignal post.
Old 02 August 2001, 00:47   #16
RCK
Administrator

- I have changed the topic of the thread as requested. (now it is "Amiga Emulation Nation news").
- I have removed the connection parameters of your ftp as requested.
- I have put one link to your website as requested.

What do you want more ??!!

If you speak about the quote that Iancharge has made about AEN, this text is available on the front page of your site !
You can not stop people to speak about news that you have post on the main page of AEN no ?
They have the right to speak about some news that you post on your site no ?!!

I don't understand why you are still complaining about that, it is normal that people speak about the lastest news, and it is normal to be criticized sometimes...
If you are not agree about some ideas that people have said, just answer them with your own opinion.
It is NOT my job to remove some messages from this board if you don't like them, do your own war, reply to them with a solid argumentation.

you are starting boring me with all those AEN requests which are NOT big issues for your FTP problems ...
Old 02 August 2001, 05:21   #17
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

RCK, Godflesh is so accustomed to censoring anything that does not strike his fancy that he feels he has the right to go around to other forums and tell them what can be discussed there and what cannot. The way I understand it is, once you become a public figure (such as running a web site and/or (alleged) ftp site), you become a target of public opinion. There are no rules that all comments about public figures can only be good. Only a megalomaniac would think that censoring all opinions except for good ones is an acceptable policy.

Godflesh, if you can't take the fact that people have differing viewpoints and opinions other than your own, perhaps you should go private. You want all of the glory that comes with having 'the biggest Amiga FTP site', but you can't accept the fact that there is a price to pay for that. All actors must deal with bad reviews, all musicians, all politicians, etc. - deal with it, bud! You cannot control the way we think and you cannot control our right to communicate what we think to each other. You are not being slandered as an individual. Your actions are. If everyone were like you, every time we mentioned how bad a game was, the programmers would be in here demanding that our viewpoints be censored. Think what the world would be like then. A dictatorship. Which is what you apparently support. Thanks goodness this forum does not support such primitive, archaeic thinking. And don't forget, too, that you created our opinions of you by your actions at your forum.

RCK has been very cordial with you and worked with you on your requests. He has done most of what you requested (because he decided to, not because you ordered it!), but he has chosen not to censor our opinions the way you do to users of your forum. Deal with it. If you have a product (and you do), you cannot demand that people only say nice things about it. Next thing you know, you'll be demanding that all of the low score votes for AEN at AmigaMOS be removed.
Quote:
Instead supporting me to make something really big and usfull to a lot of people, some of you only run your mouth without knowing the real facts.
Supporting you? Like how, for example. How soon you forget that at one time, we did support you. What did we get in return? Censorship.
Old 02 August 2001, 08:08   #18
Unregistered

why are you being a bunch of dicks to me? have'nt i done enough?? just do me the favor and remove the thread, please!

Old 02 August 2001, 08:43   #19
Walker

"have'nt i done enough"?

You most certainly have.
Old 02 August 2001, 08:53   #20
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Walker. This is nothing to do with this thread...but why don't you have "walker" as your avatar like APFelon does???