English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 29 December 2010, 13:46   #1
catwatch3

New to forum Love AMIGA of old and beginning an emulation state

I have recently set up an emulation of the elf game by OCEAN and as it is quite a long game (I used to play it on my old Amiga and finished it many times before the disks were corrupted) I want to save out my progress. Does anyone know how to do this in the WinUAE emulator. Also where can I find a joystick to use for this game?
I have'nt seen this game since the mid 1990’S and as you may imagine am blown away to see my little elf again and looking just the same. I am content to use keyboard for the minute but I loved the Amiga joystick with rapid fire and would love to recreate that experience. Hope fully someone out there knows the set up I am talking about and can help.
I found the section telling of the F12 to get back to emulator to set up a save disk scenario but in my game It does not do so There is no response from F12 key, I am playing on the keyboard as input device at the moment perhaps a clue there . I seem to be just stuck in game till I die and then can reload if I want to. If I get out of the emulator completelly always need to reset my input devices and insert disks etc.....
Old 29 December 2010, 13:57   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi catwatch3 and welcome to EAB!

First you might want to create a configuration, so that you don't have to everything each time you start WinUAE again. Once you've inserted the disks and choosed your options, go to the configurations panel, enter a name for your config and save it. Afterwards you can simply load the config and click on start.
For saving your progress you can use the savestate feature on the miscellaneous panel. It's strange that F12 doesn't work for you. Which version of WinUAE do you use btw?
You can use any PC joystick/pad within WinUAE or an Amiga one with an adapter. There are a few threads about both topics here, so which option would you like to use?
Old 29 December 2010, 14:14   #3
catwatch3

Thanks for that I don’t really know how to run this thing yet I am pleased just to see the game going I really loved it plus a few others. The version I have I downloaded today is WinUAE 2.3.0 (2010.09.24)
Old 29 December 2010, 14:16   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

That's okay then. So when the game runs, F12 doesn't open the GUI for you?
Old 29 December 2010, 14:20   #5
catwatch3

I dont know if I still have a joystick I will have to dig around in the box with all the old stuff. I still have the Amiga500 which I paid 700 dollars for in early 90's and 100 dollars for one meg expansion RAM. dont those figure astound when we see what is available today It would be good to find an adaptor but I really worked those old games I think I wore out all the joysticks.

No F12 just offers print and the emulation just stays in the game

Last edited by TCD; 29 December 2010 at 14:22. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 29 December 2010, 14:23   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Do you have any keyboard shortcut program running?
Old 29 December 2010, 14:32   #7
catwatch3

I dont know about a keyboard shortcut menu. I followed what you said about saving the configuration and have attempted it I saved my config and the game is playing under that name. Now I am in the game and playing when I chose th F12 key it only paused game.
Old 29 December 2010, 14:39   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

So it's even random. Can you enable logging by checking the 'Create log file' option on the miscellaneous panel and then attach both 'winuaebootlog.txt' and 'winuaelog.txt' here?
Old 29 December 2010, 14:56   #9
catwatch3

Ill try

Im sorry i dont know where to go to find the text files

Last edited by TCD; 29 December 2010 at 14:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 29 December 2010, 14:58   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

In the same folder where 'WinUAE.exe' is (usually 'C:\Program Files\WinUAE').
Old 29 December 2010, 15:06   #11
catwatch3

I found a text file seems recent

Im sorry but I am getting tired it is past midnight here and I need to go to sleep. When is a good time to talk to you again. It seems that this might take a while and I will work on it later on when I am rested. Thankyou for you help so far It is very much appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (10.7 KB, 265 views)

Last edited by TCD; 29 December 2010 at 15:15. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 29 December 2010, 15:17   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

When you get back to it, make sure you check the 'Create log file' box and post the created 'winuaelog.txt' then.
No worries about the time, I'm around quite often
Old 29 December 2010, 15:20   #13
catwatch3

I think I did that but I will make another attempt tommorrow I has been so many years since I played this game just seeing it is good, I will work it out thanks again good night
Old 30 December 2010, 00:38   #14
catwatch3

Still not able to find log or save state but hopefull as it is working

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
When you get back to it, make sure you check the 'Create log file' box and post the created 'winuaelog.txt' then.
No worries about the time, I'm around quite often
Hello I have done this but still no result. The game plays fine but the only way out of it is to end task in task manager. F12 still just pause. Then looking for log text file none has been created. I will try again. Perhaps it is because I am using a wrong keyboard option. I will chose another as well and try that. At least the sun is out finally after weeks of rain.

Later that day
Hello again I would like to report that after another few hours of messing around with settings I have worked out how to do it and now I am playing with my USB joystick F12 works and I am as happy you know what. Thankyou for your help. I did it yyyyeaahhhhhhhhhhh the best christmas present ever since I got my first elf game

Last edited by catwatch3; 30 December 2010 at 08:33. Reason: I am new here and still learning
Old 30 December 2010, 10:47   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Ah, nice Hope you stick a bit with your emulated Amiga and stop by at times.
Old 30 December 2010, 12:38   #16
catwatch3

Evil grin Thankyou again

I am allready into the second scenario after killing the first spider boss. I don't think this was a very popular game I have seen very few people (on the internet forums etc) over the years who can get through it. I wonder if I am one of the few. If this game plays all the way to the end I will be over the moon. or should I say smily rainbow