English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 April 2019, 20:08   #1
Pyromania

Millennium upgrade in the works!

We are working on an upgrade to Millennium and thought we would ask the community what features that would like to see in a new version. We are already making it more friendly to NG PowerPC systems and Classic Vampire based systems. The link to the old version is listed below.

http://www.discreetfx.com/Millennium.html
Old 16 April 2019, 12:30   #2
pgovotsos

I thought you sold Millennium to Aeon.
Old 16 April 2019, 13:31   #3
Pyromania

Nope, that’s not correct.
Old 17 April 2019, 08:30   #4
pgovotsos

Sorry, malfunctioning memory

As for what I'd, personally, LOVE to see is all the software / plug-ins and videos released for the Toaster / Flyer and Lightwave. Yeah, I know it's greedy and not realistic but if you are asking what we'd like, of course we'd like it all.

I'm guessing that getting the rest of the stuff from Merlin Software / Visual Inspirations and OzWare wouldn't be too hard. They're still around though in other companies. Some of the other guys I'm not sure if anyone kept track of them. I wonder if Digital Juice would be willing to release their Amiga stuff? Dave is still there.

Silly thing maybe, but if you include a demo tape like the old version, perhaps make it better. The old one was pretty rough

After so many years, would there be any use in asking Kermit or Bob for the contact information for the companies who contributed material before to ask for the rest of their catalog? Is anyone still in the same place after 20 years? I think only you and Dave are still with the same companies. Oh, Dan Wolf (Megagem) was still answering emails a couple of years ago and some of his stuff wasn't in the old version.

Anyway, my long winded two cents worth
Old 17 April 2019, 18:47   #5
Dr_Procton

If some sort of emulation (winuae) or recreation (fpga) could replicate the toaster/flyer this software could be a killer-app.
Old 17 April 2019, 19:06   #6
Overmann

What is Millennium?
Old 17 April 2019, 20:07   #7
pgovotsos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
What is Millennium?
A collection of 3rd party software for the Video Toaster and Flyer that Nova Design assembled.

Here's a link to an old version of the web page for it at Discreet FX:
https://web.archive.org/web/20100407055022/http://www.discreetfx.com/Millennium.htm
Old 18 April 2019, 18:45   #8
Dr_Procton

This release is awesome, but there's no availability of toaster/flyer hardware. So the majority of vampire owners will not be able to use it. Emufan showed that recompiling the switcher is possible.
Old 18 April 2019, 20:18   #9
pgovotsos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Procton View Post
This release is awesome, but there's no availability of toaster/flyer hardware. So the majority of vampire owners will not be able to use it. Emufan showed that recompiling the switcher is possible.
Ebay always has several Video Toasters and Flyers for sale. Usually they are reasonably priced.

I'm not sure if the Vampire is compatible with the Toaster and Flyer in a 2000 anyway. I haven't used a 2000 for the Toaster for a long time so haven't tested it. You lose features when you use a Toaster 4000 in a 2000. The Flyer software and Toaster software, other than Lightwave, don't really tax the system at all. A stock 4000 with some extra memory runs it all just fine - surprisingly well.

Really the only benefit a Vampire might offer is Lightwave rendering. Problem is that the "FPU" in the Vampire isn't compatible with Lightwave - at least as a few updates ago. It may be with newer updates but, even so, you won't see a lot of difference compared to a 4000 with an 060.
Old 19 April 2019, 07:11   #10
Dr_Procton

Fpu on vampire is fully implemented now.
Old 19 April 2019, 17:52   #11
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Procton View Post
Fpu on vampire is fully implemented now.
It was also "fully implemented" 2-3 years ago - no "full implementation" has ever been released.
Old 20 April 2019, 11:02   #12
Dr_Procton

I'm not a lightwave expert, but lightwave 5 runs on vampire pretty well (from what i know). There are some problems that i'm not aware?