English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 October 2013, 01:50   #221
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Why is it not possible anymore to see "Todays posts" without being logged in?
Old 13 October 2013, 02:07   #222
DH
Global Moderator

I agree stingray, because I use a tablet and phone sometimes, and because it isn't safe to log on and apply any moderation on the forums because of misshaps etc, that are really easy to do at times, I no longer log on when using the tablet or phone.

I must admit, this feature is most needed when not logged on, as it's a means to safely continue my mod duties only when absolutely required.
Old 13 October 2013, 08:38   #223
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Why is it not possible anymore to see "Todays posts" without being logged in?
Good view, it was a side effect, fixed
Old 13 October 2013, 15:38   #224
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Thought so, thanks for the fix.
Old 15 October 2013, 23:01   #225
Ed Cruse

Delays

Thank for the great work of keeping this up. However I've been having problems with delays. I've been using this board for many years and I've had no problems, in fact it generally out performs most other web sites. For the last three weeks or so I've been experiencing thirty second or more delays about every minute or so. It started the day I bought a new computer with W7 and IE10, but I've had no problems with any other web sites. During the delays my DSL modems shows no data coming in, and then all of a sudden it comes blasting in, and then I can use the board normally for about a minutes and then it delays again.

The delays happen the whole time I'm logged on, even logging off I sometimes get the delay. It's been so bad that I've been opening another tab on IE during the delays and visiting other web sites until IE shows it's not waiting any more, and then continue on until the next delay. It's not a matter of slowness, the board just flat out stops and it doesn't seem to matter what time of day either.

Quick update. While trying to Preview this Post I had to log in again, it delayed for about a minutes before I was logged in again and could right this quick update.

Can you tell me what could be causing this problem?

Thank you
Old 15 October 2013, 23:04   #226
Retro1234
Phone Homer

If I click on a profile then Statistics I cant follow posts unless logged in
Old 16 October 2013, 11:10   #227
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
If I click on a profile then Statistics I cant follow posts unless logged in
This is normal, guest search robot was doing a lot of SQL queries with thoses links, let's keep cpu ressource for members

Next step is to disable member profile for guest if the massive brute force attack persist with member's login.

Last edited by RCK; 16 October 2013 at 11:19.
Old 16 October 2013, 11:15   #228
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Cruse View Post
It started the day I bought a new computer with W7 and IE10, but I've had no problems with any other web sites. During the delays my DSL modems shows no data coming in, and then all of a sudden it comes blasting in, and then I can use the board normally for about a minutes and then it delays again.
Can you tell me what could be causing this problem?
Well, I don't have any code designed to slow down IE10
However, to determined it it's IE10 fault or something else on you installation, could you unzip this Firefox ESR Portable on your computer ?
This will let you test EAB with something else than IE10, and then tell me if you see the same "lag" with Firefox.

If other user are using IE10 with success, please report
Old 16 October 2013, 11:47   #229
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
Well. Not really "using "IE10 here, i'm a FireFox user. But i do have IE10 installed, so i fired it up, logged in, and tested it. Works fine on my end.
Old 16 October 2013, 15:12   #230
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Bit of a blow a quite often use this to find old posts etc
Old 16 October 2013, 17:51   #231
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Bit of a blow a quite often use this to find old posts etc
Just login to find the search link back, or memorized the following url and change id
http://eab.abime.net/search.php?do=finduser&u=6977
Old 17 October 2013, 00:21   #232
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Well, I don't have any code designed to slow down IE10
However, to determined it it's IE10 fault or something else on you installation, could you unzip this Firefox ESR Portable on your computer ?
This will let you test EAB with something else than IE10, and then tell me if you see the same "lag" with Firefox.

I tried FireFox and it works just fine, no lags. When I came in to read your reply with IE I got lagged a couple of times. Right now I'm using FireFox to write this reply, and earlier I read several posts and even wrote a message in another area, no problems at all.

Do you have any ideas? I even went to www.winuae.net with IE10 and it seemed to work fine, no delays. I've had no problems at all with any of the many web sites that I've gone to.

I was thinking that maybe IE was not sending everything the board is expecting and therefore it's waiting. The problem with that theory is once the delay is over I can click and move around the board normally for about a minutes and then it delays for about a minute. Sometimes I get lucking and the delay is almost over and I only have to wait a few seconds when I click on something.

It's like the board is doing a high priority job every couple of minutes for a minute. Is there some kind of priority setting that IE is maybe not setting correctly? I was going to ask if my user priority on the board is set real low, but then I should have the same problem with Firefox.
Old 17 October 2013, 10:45   #233
RCK
Administrator

Go to the board with IE10, launch Dev tool with F12 key, start a network capture and profiler capture, then navigate on EAB.
When a lag happen, return back to dev tool and stop the both captures, look at the end of Network capture and try to see if one http request is slow or not responding.
Same thing with the javascript profiler, try to find if on slow javascript function is here.
Old 18 October 2013, 17:00   #234
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Go to the board with IE10, launch Dev tool with F12 key, start a network capture and profiler capture, then navigate on EAB.
When a lag happen, return back to dev tool and stop the both captures, look at the end of Network capture and try to see if one http request is slow or not responding.
Same thing with the javascript profiler, try to find if on slow javascript function is here.

Thanks, I'll give it a try and report back.
Old 19 October 2013, 01:36   #235
Ed Cruse

Quote:

I captured a hang, the very last line of the network capture showed a 32 second delay. The Profiler showed only small delays. Both files are attached. I did it several times and saw as much as a 60 second delay.
Attached Files
File Type: txt IE10_Profile_Capture.txt (21.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: txt IE10_Net_Capture.txt (2.5 KB, 111 views)
Old 23 October 2013, 20:12   #236
RCK
Administrator

32 seconds for /showthread.php?p=917356 ?!
It's not possible, no way my server take that time to generate a showthread page.
Moreover, you can't reproduce it with firefox and nobody here have the problem.

One last idea, please try to disable all the IE10 extension in "Tools > Manage addons", and try to reset IE settings into "Tools > Options > Advanced > Reset IE parameters"
Old 23 October 2013, 22:33   #237
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Just read about Ed Cruses problem. Could it be something to do with his ISP and the fact he is in the USA?
I know it shouldn't make a difference as I have used BBS's based in the US just fine with less than half a second lag, but just throwing it out there...
Do we have any other US based users? Are they having similar issues??
Old 24 October 2013, 03:19   #238
Ed Cruse

Quote:
32 seconds for /showthread.php?p=917356 ?!
It's not possible, no way my server take that time to generate a showthread page.
Moreover, you can't reproduce it with firefox and nobody here have the problem.

One last idea, please try to disable all the IE10 extension in "Tools > Manage addons", and try to reset IE settings into "Tools > Options > Advanced > Reset IE parameters"
I disabled all the add ons including the ones that happen to not be loaded at the time. I reset IE back to default. I then rebooted the computer and it still does it.

It doesn't do it all the time. Generally it appears that once I get past a delay I can move around the board normally for what seems like minute or two, then it will hang again when I click a link or the back button. It also appears that the length of the delay varies depending on when I click a link. It's like there's something going on in your server on a regular time schedule and if I click a link during this time it hangs until it's done. I also noticed that once in awhile I'll click a link and it will show busy for the normal amount of time (0.5 sec or so) and then do nothing. If I click the link again it hangs for along time (1 minute or so). I think I'm clicking right at the very beginning or just before the delay is due to start.

It seems to me that if the problem is at my end it would hang every time I clicked on a link, but it doesn't, it's only during the minute intervals that occur every couple of minutes. Now obviously there's something different with IE10, IE8 and firefox work just fine. MS apparently made some changes that's making your server unhappy, but I'm not having any problems with any other web sites. I'm at a lose.
Old 24 October 2013, 06:37   #239
RCK
Administrator

Can you try this ?

1 - Launch IE10 and go into DevTools (F12), switch en IE Browse Mode to IE9, and use the board a long time and tell me if it's Okay.
2 - In IE10 mode, reproduce one slow page loading and tell me how many time abime.net took to generate the page, it's written and the bottom of every page (Page generated in 0.18961 seconds with 15 queries)

Last edited by RCK; 24 October 2013 at 06:48.
Old 26 October 2013, 23:15   #240
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Can you try this ?

1 - Launch IE10 and go into DevTools (F12), switch en IE Browse Mode to IE9, and use the board a long time and tell me if it's Okay.
2 - In IE10 mode, reproduce one slow page loading and tell me how many time abime.net took to generate the page, it's written and the bottom of every page (Page generated in 0.18961 seconds with 15 queries)

IE9 same problem. I tried IE10, 9, 8, and they all seemed to be the same. I've noticed that it seems much worse then it used to be, I used to have a minute or two to navigate before hanging, this time it hangs very frequently. On all three IE's the timeout at the bottom of the page was always less then 0.3 seconds. One page in particular did 0.20571 with 14 queries.

This whole problem started when I switched to a new computer with W7 and IE10, my old computer used XP with IE8, so I assumed the problem was here. IE10 in IE8 mode does the same thing so I'm going to fire up my old computer and see if it works or not. I'll get back with the results.

Edit 1: I fired up my XP IE8 computer and it works perfectly. I wonder how good the IE8 mode on IE10 actually is. Maybe it's something to do with W7, I've been updating it during this whole problem. Also during all of this my ISP, broadband speed, and DSL modem, haven't changed, only the computer and OS. I even compared the settings between IE8 and IE10, especially the international ones. There was no difference with the international ones, there were a few differences with some of the other settings, but I don't know what they do.

Last edited by Ed Cruse; 26 October 2013 at 23:47. Reason: Running XP with IE8