English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 06 April 2022, 23:30   #701
boondoggle

Hmm, kickstarts where installed there was just some message about it not being installed.
Old 06 April 2022, 23:53   #702
boondoggle

I installed the FULL classic workbench and the dopus version i get by right clicking (A-programs:diropus4) doesn´t show the files? I installed all 68020 versions and i´m using 020.
Old 07 April 2022, 21:40   #703
cyberhead97

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTomorrow View Post
Cyberhead, since Cloanto rom kicstart files are not encrypted anymore is it possible to use them without rom.key?
Cloanto rom kickstart files are untouched and will remain encrypted. HstWB Installer will only detect and use Cloanto rom kickstart files properly, if rom.key file is present since it decrypts them in memory to match them to unencrypted original kickstart roms checksums.

The reason for this is Cloanto changes the rom.key every x years, so MD5 checksums change even when the unencrypted content remains the same. Matching against unencrypted means Cloanto can change the rom.key as much they want and I still only have to keep track of original kickstart rom checksums.
Old 07 April 2022, 21:44   #704
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhead97 View Post
Cloanto rom kickstart files are untouched and will remain encrypted. HstWB Installer will only detect and use Cloanto rom kickstart files properly, if rom.key file is present since it decrypts them in memory to match them to unencrypted original kickstart roms checksums.

The reason for this is Cloanto changes the rom.key every x years, so MD5 checksums change even when the unencrypted content remains the same. Matching against unencrypted means Cloanto can change the rom.key as much they want and I still only have to keep track of original kickstart rom checksums.
You are missing the point, Since AF 8 the rom files do not come with a rom.key, they are unencrypted as standard now.
Old 07 April 2022, 21:45   #705
cyberhead97

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondoggle View Post
I got similar errors when kickstart files where named with "[]" chars. Are the os files md5 checked via the script aswell?
Kickstart rom and adf files with "[]" chars usually comes from TOSEC torrent or collection downloads.

I did try to make the scripts take care of filename with these charas, but is seems not all are covered.
Old 07 April 2022, 21:50   #706
cyberhead97

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma776 View Post
You are missing the point, Since AF 8 the rom files do not come with a rom.key, they are unencrypted as standard now.
It has been a while since I installed Amiga Forever. I usually only mount the Amiga Forever 9 iso when I need it and this comes with encrypted kickstart roms and a rom.key file in directory "Amiga Files\Shared\rom".

Does installing and registering Amiga Forever 8 or 9 unencrypt kickstart rom files?
Old 07 April 2022, 21:58   #707
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhead97 View Post
It has been a while since I installed Amiga Forever. I usually only mount the Amiga Forever 9 iso when I need it and this comes with encrypted kickstart roms and a rom.key file in directory "Amiga Files\Shared\rom".

Does installing and registering Amiga Forever 8 or 9 unencrypt kickstart rom files?
It must do, as my AF9 install has no rom.key. I use the downloaded version not a disk though.
Old 07 April 2022, 22:08   #708
cyberhead97

Quote:
It must do, as my AF9 install has no rom.key. I use the downloaded version not a disk though.
What size is your "amiga-os-310-a1200.rom" file in "c:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\Shared\rom"?

If it's 524299, then it's encrypted. Also opening it with Notepad (not a good tool for binary but it works for checking this) and it starts with the text "AMIROMTYPE1" means it's encrypted.

If size of "amiga-os-310-a1200.rom" is 524288, then it's not encrypted and considered original kickstart rom.
Old 07 April 2022, 22:12   #709
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Yup its 524288

--EDIT--

I made a iso using the inbuilt tool and yup on the iso there is a rom.key go figure. Still not encrypted though that rom is still 524288
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-07 211138.png
Views:	58
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	75234  
Old 07 April 2022, 22:20   #710
cyberhead97

Quote:
Yup its 524288

--EDIT--

I made a iso using the inbuilt tool and yup on the iso there is a rom.key go figure. Still not encrypted though that rom is still 524288
Interesting. If they are unencrypted, then HstWB Installer should detect them as original kickstart roms.

But I need to test this further.
Old 10 April 2022, 21:46   #711
TommyTomorrow

Any suggestions what might be wrong with this?

When I try to install OS 3.2 (adf's in \amigaos\amiga-os-3.2\) with 3.2.1 adf's in amigaos\amiga-os-3.2.1\ folder, I got "install os 3.2 from floppies" option only and I have to insert adf's one by one. I think it's a bug. I tried 4gb image, I don't know if it's the same with the others. Without 3.2.1 adf's, there are two options to choose.
Old 12 April 2022, 13:56   #712
cyberhead97

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTomorrow View Post
Any suggestions what might be wrong with this?

When I try to install OS 3.2 (adf's in \amigaos\amiga-os-3.2\) with 3.2.1 adf's in amigaos\amiga-os-3.2.1\ folder, I got "install os 3.2 from floppies" option only and I have to insert adf's one by one. I think it's a bug. I tried 4gb image, I don't know if it's the same with the others. Without 3.2.1 adf's, there are two options to choose.
Some adf files seems to be missing, if you only see i stall from floppy disk option.

Could you please try viewing detect log and share pictures of it here? This will tell which files are detected and which are missing.

Also are the adf files copied directly from Amiga OS 3.2 CD?
If the adf files have been copied to your harddisk and used in other emulation context, they might be modified if not adf files are mounted as read only
Old 20 April 2022, 19:22   #713
TommyTomorrow

Sorry for late answer... I've found the cause of this issue. First time I've copied these adf's from cd but then I tried to install 3.2.1 update from working OS 3.2 and 3.2.1 installer asked me for Install3.2.adf, maybe 3.2.1 installer changed something in Install3.2.adf and its checksum was also changed.

BTW I've bought larger CF card, 32GB (previous 4GB) but when I make an image with HstWB and burn it to that CF card, my A1200 gives me software failure error, that image works ok with WinUAE. Have you any idea what can be wrong guys?
Old 22 April 2022, 12:43   #714
mattsav0728

rom.key

Quote:
Yup its 524288

--EDIT--

Going to try that option ...

I'm new to the HSTWB scene, just dusted off my original A500 few weeks ago, just used HstWB to install a 32GB image using WB3.2. When gathering my AmigaForever ROM files using the instructions I had found in a video on youtube they also mentioned that rom.key file, when I gathered my ROM's I used the build in ROM tool and never generated/found a rom.key file.

I had found this AmigaForever KB so do we really even need that key.rom file anymore? I just booted up my .hdf image and loaded no problem however noticed when I built it using WIN

https://www.amigaforever.com/kb/16-128

"For licensing reasons, the free Amiga Forever Express Edition continues to use encoded ROMs. The ROM files are decoded following registration or an upgrade."

I bought AmigaForever is that the difference?
Old 22 April 2022, 12:54   #715
mattsav0728

@enigma776 Sure enough that ISO had the key.rom file in the shared\rom directory. Thanks for that info.
Old 22 April 2022, 12:57   #716
mattsav0728

Hey guys I have a question on HSTWB, I just installed it using WinUAE and I'm over here in the US running NTSC. Did notice by default that the screen mode was set to PAL by default and that was an easy fix to correct when Workbench loads. But now when I run any of the games launchers, it reverts me back into a PAL mode and I don't have any TV/monitor to support 50hz. Is there a config file somewhere I can change to force NTSC on startup of the games launchers?
Old 22 April 2022, 16:26   #717
SilentBob77

I'm having a problem with the newest version and older versions. after I write to my cf cards, and install it into my A1200 I don't get to the workbench screen. Just a solid orange HD activity light. If I write to the cards before installation it works but I can't install on my actual Amiga.
Old 22 April 2022, 20:46   #718
TommyTomorrow

Well, I think there's something wrong with 32GB image because after installation in WinUAE and burning it to CF card, I get software failure on my A1200 (but it does work mounted with WinUAE). I've checked my CF card and I'm sure it's ok because I've cleaned it with diskpart then partitioned it with Install3.2.adf floppy (in WinUAE) then installed OS 3.2 from floppies and my A1200 boots up correctly.
Old 23 April 2022, 02:13   #719
cloverskull

Hey @cyberhead97 is it possible to support BestClassicWB? What do you recommend for the most full-featured WB environment currently supported with AmigaOS3.2.1?
Old 23 April 2022, 13:41   #720
TommyTomorrow

Let's talk about kickstarts... There are two folders when we put them, one is \kickstart, the other is \userpackages\Kickstart roms\Kickstarts
and now... when you start the installation, the first kickstart detection says "found 0 kickstart roms" and that's not true because we have some kickstart roms in \kickstart folder (eg: when we put A1200.47.102.rom in it and start hstwb_image_setup.cmd it will detect that rom and save it to the WinUAE configuration file (hstwb-installer-a1200.uae). So, we get to that point when we see "install 0 kickstart roms" so we choose that option then we go to the other installation point when we choose userpacks to install and then, if we choose whdload packs, the script starts another kickstart detection but this time, it is checking \userpackages\Kickstart roms\Kickstarts folder and if we have correct roms in it, we'll se "X roms detected" or something like this. If we have roms named like in tosec (eg. Kickstart v1.2 rev 33.180 (1986)(Commodore)(A500-A2000)[!]) then we should rename them as whdload documentation says (in this example this should be amiga-os-120.rom), see the link below
http://whdload.de/docs/en/need.html
So... we don't really need Cloanto's roms because even if we have a legit but downloadable version (not CD), we won't find rom.key in it. The question is - what is that first kickstart detection screen for if it always finds no roms?

BTW I've just started another CF 32GB installation and I hope this time my A1200 will boot and I won't get Guru meditation error... Oh, one question bothers me - what is FFS in user packages for? If the image and partitions in it are made with PFS3, what would happen if I choose FFS to install in userpackages choice screen? Will it change my file system from PFS3 to FFS?

One other question. Which options should I enable in configuration having blizzard 1230-mkIV with FPU 128mb? I have 3.2.1 roms in my A1200 and I don't have mapping rom jumper enabled on my 1230-mkIV (does maprom option enables actual, physical rom from your amiga or 3.1 like in https://github.com/henrikstengaard/hstwb-package) description? There are some options like MMU, 020+ cpu, os patches, etc. Is "load scsi.device" option required if I have a 3.2.1 rom? I don't know which scsi.device version in that rom, I can't find any info what it contains.

---edit---
Yeah, my the last installation (32gb image) does work. With or without 020+ cpu, FPU and OS patches, every time Workbench was telling me "please insert volume containing LIBS\icon.library in any drive". I saw there are more icon libraries in LIBS: for different cpu but I tried 68020icon.library_disabled renaming it to icon.library but that didn't work so I've copied one from one of the 3.2.1 adf's (a1200 modules I think) and it did work. The only thing is that iGame icon from desktop doesn't show any games on the list. iGame from HstWB\Games folder does but none of the WHDload games work with iGame. There might be some issue I don't know yet. I've checked some games directly from their folders and they work fine with whdload.

Last edited by TommyTomorrow; 23 April 2022 at 17:09.