English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL data problems

Old 17 March 2003, 03:38   #1
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

MSX Conversions

Where do you guys get the information for the conversions?

There are some games that show up when searching for MSX in the hardware conversions tab, which AFAIK were never released for the MSX.

The Games: Winter Edition
The Games: Summer Edition
Superman: The Man of Steel
Xenon 2: Megablast

Xenon 2 also seems to have wrong info regarding developer and publisher (The Assembly Line are the developers and Cinemaware are the publishers in HOL, while I believe Bitmap Brothers are the developers and Imageworks are the publishers... though I can be completely wrong at this one)

Also, Pacmania has MSX 2 in the hardware conversion tab. While Pacmania indeed had an MSX 2 version, it was developed by Namcot. The version developed by Teque and published by Grandslam (As in HOL) was for the MSX 1.

There are lots more of Amiga games that also were released for the MSX.. I could list them here, if this is any interesting info.
Old 17 March 2003, 06:13   #2
Amiga1992

I have noticed MANY errors in the "Conversion" fields. I will search the HOL thoroughly and find more, but it's ridden of erros pointing to erroneous versions.

I dunno why this field was included and I don't seem to understand it fully. Is it about a game based on a version for another machine? Or is it about versions of this game for another machine, that were based on an Amiga original?

Xenon 2 has never been an MSX original, and Pacmania is an arcade conversion.
Old 17 March 2003, 07:06   #3
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Re: MSX Conversions

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
Where do you guys get the information for the conversions?
Nowhere in particular - lots of different sources really.

Quote:
Xenon 2 also seems to have wrong info regarding developer and publisher (The Assembly Line are the developers and Cinemaware are the publishers in HOL, while I believe Bitmap Brothers are the developers and Imageworks are the publishers... though I can be completely wrong at this one)
Image Works (Mirrorsoft) is listed as the publisher, but you have to go to the actual game definition to see it. When you do a search, there is only room for one publisher in the list and there is currently no way for us to specify which will appear if there are multiple. So, it was published by Cinemaware in the US and that is the one that appear - to see Image Works, go to the game entry itself.
Old 17 March 2003, 07:11   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
I have noticed MANY errors in the "Conversion" fields. I will search the HOL thoroughly and find more, but it's ridden of erros pointing to erroneous versions.

I dunno why this field was included and I don't seem to understand it fully. Is it about a game based on a version for another machine? Or is it about versions of this game for another machine, that were based on an Amiga original?

Xenon 2 has never been an MSX original, and Pacmania is an arcade conversion.
The list of machines in Conversion Hardware merely shows what other formats the game was released on and nothing else.

The 'Amiga original' tag shows whether the game was originally an Amiga game or was written for another format.

If the game isn't an Amiga original, there will also be a bit of text explaining what the original format was e.g. in the Pac-Mania entry - "Based on 1987 Atari/Namco coin-op.".

The conversion fields are included because we will have usually researched this information anyway and it is a good idea to then include it. For example, we know that Gloom was an Amiga original - end of story. For Pac-Mania, we know that it was an arcade machine - the original format info is included. We also find out the other machines while researching and include them as an extra bit of info.
Old 17 March 2003, 07:14   #5
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Also, Pacmania has MSX 2 in the hardware conversion tab. While Pacmania indeed had an MSX 2 version, it was developed by Namcot. The version developed by Teque and published by Grandslam (As in HOL) was for the MSX 1.

There are lots more of Amiga games that also were released for the MSX.. I could list them here, if this is any interesting info.
The developer and publisher doesn't matter - if it is the same game but on another format, the machine will be in the Conversion hardware list.

A list of Amiga game also on the MSX would be very helpful.
Old 17 March 2003, 07:28   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
http://www.classicgaming.com/pac-man...ames/PacMania/

Also:
The Games - Winter Edition
http://home.arcor.de/cybergoth/games...eredition.html
Superman
http://www.digidome.nl/msx.htm

I don't know if it was me or someone else who added the other two games, but the source could have been anything from an article, ebay auction, interview with developers, mention in magazine ad, etc.
Old 17 March 2003, 08:35   #7
Amiga1992

The conversion tag is more of a mess than I thought at first, then :P

Personally I could do without that information, but it's your database, so....
Old 17 March 2003, 11:13   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
The conversion tag is more of a mess than I thought at first, then :P
Not really. Conversion field lists known versions on other platforms. The Conversion Notes field displays the info as it exists, ie. Based on 1987 Atari/Namco coin-op.

Just an added bit of extra info, that's all. For some, it's useful.
Old 18 March 2003, 04:21   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

!!!!

Why the hell I don't have those games?
I had never heard of such games on the MSX, I will have to hunt them now. Even though the only good game from Epyx for MSX is Winter Games, everything else they made is crap (And California Games is UNBELIVEABLE crap)

I will go and make a small list of some MSX games on Amiga later.

Now I am even afraid to say that.. but I am nearly sure Xenon 2 really wasn't published for the MSX.
Old 18 March 2003, 05:37   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Why the hell I don't have those games?
I had never heard of such games on the MSX, I will have to hunt them now.
Welcome to the disease! As much as we HOL staff know about Amiga games, there's still games that are turning up that are so obscure, none of us knew about them until recently. Poor Cody accused Walker and myself of making the games up! So I expect this can be the case with most any system. Which certainly has its merits!
Quote:
Now I am even afraid to say that.. but I am nearly sure Xenon 2 really wasn't published for the MSX.
I really wish I could track down where this info came from, but I will keep my eyes peeled for the source. We wouldn't have added it to the database if it wasn't a fairly reliable source. Always the possibility of a typo (or mousepo, in this case), but less likely.
Old 18 March 2003, 16:34   #11
Amiga1992

Shatterhand's brain is the MSX HOL
Old 19 March 2003, 04:35   #12
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

lol

Maybe The Games:Winter Edition was published in tape-only or something. I remember California Games was a tape only game, and in 1992 someone managed to make it run from a disk, and then it was widely spread. Before that, nearly no one knew the game.

Here a small list of MSX games on Amiga, more to come later

Army Moves
Astro Marine Corps
After The War
Freddy Hardest In South Manhattan
Mega Phoenix
Grand Prix Master (This game was also know as Aspar GP Master)
Navy Moves
Terrorpods
Dragon Ninja
Viaje Al Centro De La Terra
Gemini Wing
Toobin'
Klax
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (Not the arcade game)
Old 19 March 2003, 07:22   #13
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Are these games that you believe were originally written for the MSX? Dragon Ninja, Klax and Toobin' were originally coin-ops.
Old 19 March 2003, 12:03   #14
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I believe it's just a list of games that are also on the MSX.
Old 19 March 2003, 16:42   #15
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Re: MSX conversions

A guy who worked on the MSX conversion of The Games: Winter Edition claims to have done work on The Games: Summer Edition also (see http://www.cyberware.demon.co.uk/bio.htm).

Probably not definitive proof that a MSX conversion was released, so we might need to change that one.

Xenon 2 seems to be wrong, though. The Bitmap Brothers say on their web page that there was a MSX version of Xenon but not Xenon 2.

Last edited by DrBong; 19 March 2003 at 16:51.
Old 19 March 2003, 17:33   #16
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: Re: MSX conversions

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBong
A guy who worked on the MSX conversion of The Games: Winter Edition claims to have done work on The Games: Summer Edition also (see http://www.cyberware.demon.co.uk/bio.htm).

Probably not definitive proof that a MSX conversion was released, so we might need to change that one.
Maybe not definitive, but considering whatever the other source was that got it added in the first place with that mention is good enough for me. Definitive we should reserve for the Amiga info.
Quote:

Xenon 2 seems to be wrong, though. The Bitmap Brothers say on their web page that there was a MSX version of Xenon but not Xenon 2.
That's good enough for me.
Old 20 March 2003, 04:16   #17
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Yes, it's just a list of MSX games that also are on Amiga. None of them are MSX originals.

The only MSX original released for Amiga that I can remember now is Thexder (And I forgot to mention it in the last post).

The original MSX game was made by Game Arts, then Sierra bought the rights to port it to other systems.
Old 20 March 2003, 05:28   #18
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
The only MSX original released for Amiga that I can remember now is Thexder (And I forgot to mention it in the last post).

The original MSX game was made by Game Arts, then Sierra bought the rights to port it to other systems.
Hmmm...according to this site, the first platform for Thexder was the NEC PC 8801. Also according to this Thexder shrine, as well.
Old 21 March 2003, 04:33   #19
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

/me hits the head against a brick wall

I give up, it seems like all the info I have is WRONG

I had read, more than once before, that the MSX was the 1st system where Thexder was published. I didn't even know that a PC 8801 version existed.

Everyday I learn a new thing on EAB
Old 21 March 2003, 06:59   #20
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
/me hits the head against a brick wall

I give up, it seems like all the info I have is WRONG

I had read, more than once before, that the MSX was the 1st system where Thexder was published. I didn't even know that a PC 8801 version existed.

Everyday I learn a new thing on EAB
LOL! Let the HOL lead you down the path of righteousness!