English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 24 July 2018, 21:09   #41
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo79 View Post
The commodore 64 in 1982 had 16 colors,the vga in 1987-88 256 colors,I dont wonder the amiga 1000 in 1985 had 32 colors.
I think your problems are arising from your rather simplistic and black-and-white view of things. There are a lot of different factors involved that you're simply ignoring. For example, yes, the C64 had 16 colours, like most 8-bit machines of the era. However, also like most other 8-bits, their palette was hard-wired for fixed colours. Those 16 colours were the only 16 colours you could ever display. No C64 could ever display standard red for example. It had 16 colours, from a palette of 16. The Amiga could set any of its 32 colours to any 4-bit values of red, green and blue, meaning it could display any colour from a palette of 4096.

VGA, while a great advance on CGA and EGA before it, and paving the way for high-end performance on PCs, was still limited with a slightly awkward, backwards-compatible palette and 6 bits per pixel for an 18-bit palette. And, to display 256 colour modes, original VGA cards were limited to 320x240 - using 640 pixel modes limited it to 16 colours, just like the Amiga. True, it didn't take long for VGA cards to develop beyond that and outstrip the Amiga, but even so, at the time they were very expensive (probably a similar cost to the the A500 just for the card) and most PCs still used 286 CPUs and CGA displays that could barely better the C64 in the graphics department.

Also, you shouldn't write off things like EHB and HAM. EHB could be used to excellent effect (e.g. shadow effects), and HAM, while very slow, could also display images in more colours than VGA could manage at any speed.

Quote:
In 1987 there was the macintosh II,professionals used it.
Yep, that had 256 colours from a 24-bit palette. And at a price of at least ten times as much as the A500, a very poor priceerformance ratio in comparison, and no TV-compatible output or genlock capability either. So while it may have done well in publishing and printing houses, it wasn't really much use for video.

Quote:
The atari ST with cubase was used more than amiga in music.
Indeed, that was the ST's niche. It didn't stop people using the Amiga for music with several successful artists starting out on them, but the ST dominated that arena.
Old 24 July 2018, 21:50   #42
Paulee_Bow

This is quite a weird thread.
Not super weird, surreal, but quite weird.

Like you’re trying to describe what fish are to a piece of wood.
Old 25 July 2018, 00:01   #43
idrougge

Amigo79, you're putting too much emphasis on non-linear editing. Due to the price of hard drives and digital video recording not being a reality before the mid-nineties.

Look at when the DraCo or the Toaster Flyer was introduced. It wasn't until then that non-linear editing was within reach for medium-budget studios.

The Video Toaster wasn't an editing tool — it was meant for titling, logos and effects.
Old 25 July 2018, 00:46   #44
grelbfarlk

It is it true that andy warhol did not use amiga to make painting! Many paintings done with paint and spray can not amiga! Amiga does not paint on canvas! What say you to these!
Old 25 July 2018, 00:56   #45
Amigo79

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post

Look at when the DraCo or the Toaster Flyer was introduced. It wasn't until then that non-linear editing was within reach for medium-budget studios.

This mean that high budget studios used mac+avid.

Howewer I understand that in LOW budget video market toaster was famous.
Old 25 July 2018, 01:02   #46
Amigo79

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
It is it true that andy warhol did not use amiga to make painting! Many paintings done with paint and spray can not amiga! Amiga does not paint on canvas! What say you to these!
And about andy warhol,the andy warhol fact is about amiga 1000,
when amiga had really graphic power over others.

From amiga 500 2000, amiga was no more a guiness.

Macintosh II,pc engine,coin ops,vga....

(I dont believe the acorn archimedes had 256 colors,I read somewhere on the internet the 256 colors of archimedes was like the 4096f ham of the amiga,I have the doubt the archimedes is another myth)
Old 25 July 2018, 01:03   #47
grelbfarlk

Your comment mean that you not know anything about video production in this era. High budget meant using Film. Look up what film mean. Film analog, not digital. Movie shot on film make good quality even 50 years old picture make film look pretty time.

Nonlinear editing of film mean use scissors and unroll reel and tape film to another piece and splice film pieces together.
Old 25 July 2018, 01:04   #48
Amigo79

In your opinion,this is a marketing exgeration or the truth?

https://www.google.it/search?q=amiga...9xKRgj2FbqZ1M:

I think amiga was great more for audio than for graphics.
Old 25 July 2018, 01:12   #49
Amigo79

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Your comment mean that you not know anything about video production in this era. High budget meant using Film. Look up what film mean. Film analog, not digital. Movie shot on film make good quality even 50 years old picture make film look pretty time.

Nonlinear editing of film mean use scissors and unroll reel and tape film to another piece and splice film pieces together.
at the beggining of 90's mac+avid was used for editing tv series,more than amiga,amiga was in low budget,for things like weddings.
Old 25 July 2018, 01:13   #50
grelbfarlk

Ok I can think of three things better to do on the internet than this. Hey Xanderbeanz do you think the Mindflayers or the Reptilloids will win next years World Cup?

Did you guys see Phase5 put out a new picture showing a beautiful gleaming fully working newly minted CSPPC, I heard idrouggue and mfilos were picked to be the beta testers to fully prove that it is not 100% fake or even 80% fake. Or even 20% fake. Or even 1% fake. 103% real.
Old 25 July 2018, 01:16   #51
Foebane
Banned

OK guys, I said it before and I'll say it again: Amigo79 is just a troll, out to rile up devoted fans of the Amiga computer. I say we stop feeding... it.
Old 25 July 2018, 01:25   #52
DamienD
Banned

Yeah, don't really understand the point of Amigo79 joining up here in order to slate the Amiga and try to prove some point... not sure why exactly though?
Old 25 July 2018, 02:14   #53
Amigo79

For example I have accepted Amiga dominated in low budget video industry.
I am not a Troll.

The troll was who in the 90's said me that amiga has been used for star trek babylon 5 sea quest and dominate video editing.
Old 25 July 2018, 02:18   #54
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo79 View Post
For example I have accepted Amiga dominated in low budget video industry.
I am not a Troll.

The troll was who in the 90's said me that amiga has been used for star trek babylon 5 sea quest and dominate video editing.
But you don't seem to accept that the Amiga and Video Toaster WERE used for those shows.

Yes they eventually used more powerful hardware as the VFX budgets were increased and needed to generate more imagery quicker, but all of those shows (exception of Star Trek) emphatically DID use Amiga and VT which enabled those shows to get commissioned in the first place and were used.

This is FACT. The only erroneous claim would be for anyone to say that the Amiga and VT were used in every season of those shows which would be false.

Thats how powerful a combination Amiga and VT were, they were able to get these shows off the ground.

Those Wedding Videos must look awesome as a result
Old 25 July 2018, 02:38   #55
Amigo79

I accept amiga used for that shows, but I think these are special cases.

Amiga was not the computer of high budget tv.
Old 25 July 2018, 04:11   #56
gulliver
BoingBagged

For what it is worth mac + avid were a piece of crap in the nineties if you talk about non-linear video editing (an expensive setup with lots of issues). Only reasonable for the mac fan boys.

More expensive, but undoubtely high-end were Silicon Graphics options. They were the undisputed king of the hill.

Everyone else was trying to mimic or take some market share from them.

The Amiga and the Video Toaster were undisputed in another segment: analog video.

Two different stories, two different market segments.

Old 25 July 2018, 04:49   #57
Amigo79

Then is true that amiga was for the low segment of market,
and that instead movies and great series were not edited on amiga.

(An interesting thing is that wikipedia page of non linear editing video do not speak of silicon graphics and video editing)

Avid became a standard in serious video editing.
Old 25 July 2018, 05:29   #58
ptyerman

What a twonk! Going round in circles here with no ending! Full story, Amigo79 is a Mac & Avid fanboy that twists and alters history to suit his delusions. The end!
Old 25 July 2018, 06:22   #59
Amigo79

In italian I could speak about how I discussed for amiga when I was young.
I think also that many of you agree that amiga was used for low budget production.

I am not a mac fan boy,mac is a toy for rich people.
Also PC was a toy for rich people in the first 90's.

In the first 90's expensive PCs were sold as "multimedia" computers when they weren't so much that.
Old 25 July 2018, 08:32   #60
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
This is quite a weird thread.
Not super weird, surreal, but quite weird.

Like you’re trying to describe what fish are to a piece of wood.