English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 March 2015, 12:15   #81
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrdesign View Post
I found the game has at least 3 different tunes in. Anyone can rip them in full? I think demo mode cuts the song too early... YM format, please.

@Tony Galvez: I don´t know how the MSX chip works. Please, explain how did you get those spectacular samples and I will research some sounds based on this tune.

Just a wip for the basic version (to work on). Needs to implement noise channel and ssc samples... (sorry for the arps, they will be removed)

EDIT: I could convert to MOD the Speccy, C64 and CPC versions indeed, don´t think I would worth the time anyway, only for nostalgic purposes. What do you think?

ADRDESIGN, mail sent , very good the Starquake tune man, may you put drums and some chords?

Wonderfull job
Old 08 March 2015, 17:57   #82
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
Galahad, Starquake II has *much* better graphics and palette. Would it be possible to choose between the original and that? They do look much better.
Not going to happen.

For a start not all the graphics needed were actually put in Starquake 2, and it was written by a different programmer with a different map system.

It would be easier to rewrite the game from scratch than to try and hack and bodge elements of SQ2 into SQ1

Not going to happen under any circumstances.
Old 08 March 2015, 21:34   #83
adrdesign

Okey people, 1st version. Arps are hidden with the snare and a kickdrum is mixed with the bass sometimes. No polyphonic version yet (I think it will loose the punch). Some CCs are welcome!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Starquake(RC1).zip (6.9 KB, 251 views)
Old 08 March 2015, 22:34   #84
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
This is the best Starquake Intro music.
[ Show youtube player ]
although I do not know why the 2nd half of the title tune is missing in all youtube videos.

Shame they didnt use the same theme in ST version.
Old 09 March 2015, 04:54   #85
invent
pixels

I thought I would spend a few moments seeing what's possible with the rework of the score panel. Could be lots of possible ideas though

reduced some of the bevelled clutter and aligned some elements
Old 09 March 2015, 13:21   #86
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
This is the best Starquake Intro music.
[ Show youtube player ]
although I do not know why the 2nd half of the title tune is missing in all youtube videos.

Shame they didnt use the same theme in ST version.
I preffer AtariST version, with better melody, drums and more sofisticated.
Old 09 March 2015, 13:23   #87
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Okey people, 1st version. Arps are hidden with the snare and a kickdrum is mixed with the bass sometimes. No polyphonic version yet (I think it will loose the punch). Some CCs are welcome!
Yes, so cool, I like it a lot, please use it in the game.
Old 09 March 2015, 13:28   #88
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Nah, C64 version is "THE" theme tune for Starquake. It is perfect. Atari ST version is ok though and might be a better candidate for in-game tune
Old 09 March 2015, 16:36   #89
Toni Galvez

For a game like Starquake, each part of the map has to be his own music, this will give personality and profesionality to the game.

No small music on loop for 1 hour (get boring and heavy), no SFX only.
Old 10 March 2015, 02:48   #90
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
I thought I would spend a few moments seeing what's possible with the rework of the score panel. Could be lots of possible ideas though

reduced some of the bevelled clutter and aligned some elements
Appreciate the effort, but this won't be used i'm afraid.

With the exception of some minor enhancements, it will simply be a conversion of the ST original.

If I decide to actually program a conversion entirely from scratch, then of course different and improved graphics will be appreciated, but Starquake will not be one of them i'm afraid, it has a certain charm in its simplicity.

The only way it could or should be improved is TOTALLY overhauled, not little bits that barely make it better than the ST version, or, frankly, the ST could still have achieved.

Don't want to sound harsh, but I don't want people putting lots of effort into something that simply won't happen.

However, this game desperately needs intro graphics, i've got an idea for a humourous intro with decent quality speech involving the main character, just need volunteers that want to contribute to it
Old 10 March 2015, 04:17   #91
invent
pixels

No problems at all, it was my own curiosity of 16 colour palettes to play around with and wanted to share

Great that your bringing games that were on the Atari ST to the Amiga. (Thinking of past games that didn't quite make it such as Oids, Road Runner, etc, when reading the game mags back in days

I would offer help with the intro (more involved), but have possibly too many other projects going at the moment. I hope you do find someone to help for the intro (have no idea how many graphic designers/animators are here. We could possibly post in other related forums. I did entertain the thought of creating a HAM Title screen based off the game packaging.
Old 10 March 2015, 11:17   #92
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Appreciate the effort, but this won't be used i'm afraid.

With the exception of some minor enhancements, it will simply be a conversion of the ST original.

If I decide to actually program a conversion entirely from scratch, then of course different and improved graphics will be appreciated, but Starquake will not be one of them i'm afraid, it has a certain charm in its simplicity.

The only way it could or should be improved is TOTALLY overhauled, not little bits that barely make it better than the ST version, or, frankly, the ST could still have achieved.

Don't want to sound harsh, but I don't want people putting lots of effort into something that simply won't happen.

However, this game desperately needs intro graphics, i've got an idea for a humourous intro with decent quality speech involving the main character, just need volunteers that want to contribute to it
I can help you with the intro graphics, please write me a PM and we talk about it.
Old 10 March 2015, 14:42   #93
adrdesign

Oooleoleoleee (translation: marvellous, fantastic, stupendous, excellent)
Old 16 March 2015, 17:35   #94
adrdesign

@Gallahad: PM sent
Old 17 March 2015, 11:26   #95
Toni Galvez

Quote:
@Gallahad: PM sent
I had PM to @Gallahad too
Old 17 March 2015, 21:15   #96
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Sorry folks been a bit busy, will answer in due course
Old 31 March 2015, 12:17   #97
adrdesign

While we are waiting, why not have a look at the discarded music.

Here is the full OST in YM->XM automatic conversion. Astonishing sound, but futile as basis for a mod conversion (it doesn retrigger notes, only uses pitch slides).
Attached Files
File Type: zip StarquakeXM.zip (58.8 KB, 244 views)
Old 31 March 2015, 12:27   #98
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
While we are waiting, why not have a look at the discarded music.

Here is the full OST in YM->XM automatic conversion. Astonishing sound, but futile as basis for a mod conversion (it doesn retrigger notes, only uses pitch slides).
Niice, so the ST version also has the C64 title music (as tune number 5) - where was it used in ST version ?

TC
Old 31 March 2015, 13:22   #99
adrdesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
Niice, so the ST version also has the C64 title music (as tune number 5) - where was it used in ST version ?

TC
All the st tunes (5) have been converted into a 3ch mod (about 5 channels emulated), based on Tony Galvez SSC method.

I'd wish there will be fresh remix(es) other musicians here...

Btw i am not very happy with my SCC
Old 01 April 2015, 01:56   #100
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
All the st tunes (5) have been converted into a 3ch mod (about 5 channels emulated), based on Tony Galvez SSC method.

I'd wish there will be fresh remix(es) other musicians here...

Btw i am not very happy with my SCC
Hoffman is getting involved after Revision, so Starquake is on hold until after then.

Your contribution is absolutely fine as always

So, i'll finish off Recoil with SFX and that will be ready for release