Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 December 2014, 01:12   #21
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
@strider

Welcome!

I am a monthly subscriber to your magazine and I am always disappointed to not see more Amiga coverage - of course I am biased
This makes two of us =)

Thing is though, I do ask myself, what more could really be done, after all it is a Gaming magazine. I do enjoy the programmer interviews, retrospectives and minority reports, so I do wonder what more could be done.

Unfortunately I seriously doubt most readers would be that interested in the hardware, the nuts and bolts and how to get those said nuts and bolts to shuffle, dance and rumba effectively.

But perhaps a focused retro-radar segment where you can focus on a particular scene like the Amiga demo / games dev or even give a bit about the big-box A2000 / A3000 or A4000 systems.

Obviously such a focused segment could look into other systems like the humble Amstrad CPC, Spectrum, C64 or even MSX scenes as well as Mega-Drives and SNES.

All in all I do enjoy the magazine, my favourites are the obscure systems, the programmer / developer interviews. Keep up the good work
Old 02 December 2014, 01:48   #22
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

I guess the obvious one is the importance the a4000 played in video/cgi in the early days, mostly in the usa. Newtek ,video toaster and seaquest, babylon 5 etc.
Old 02 December 2014, 09:50   #23
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
I guess the obvious one is the importance the a4000 played in video/cgi in the early days, mostly in the usa. Newtek ,video toaster and seaquest, babylon 5 etc.

Lets not forget that Toasters played a small part in the first Jurassic Park - since this is quite topical at the moment
Old 02 December 2014, 12:40   #24
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Lets not forget that Toasters played a small part in the first Jurassic Park - since this is quite topical at the moment
Cool. I didn't know this.
Old 02 December 2014, 14:26   #25
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
We've actually got a 4-page Minority Report on the Amiga 1200 in the next issue. There's some good suggestions made so far. I quite like the idea of delving into emulation, but I'll have to find a suitable expert first who's a good writer. Some good list suggestions as well. Oh and we have a making of Hired Guns soon which I'm quite excited about.

I is a gud righter I can do it. LOL

Seriously guys this is a good opportunity for someone on here to do a bit for Retro Gamer, writing about the things we love...

Old 02 December 2014, 14:40   #26
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Robocop 2
Old 02 December 2014, 14:49   #27
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Terminator2. Didn't they use them for the CGI of the T1000 walking out of the fire following the truck crash?
Old 02 December 2014, 15:49   #28
Total Eclipse

Possibly for some initial modelling, however the visuals were rendered on Silicon Graphics kit.
Old 02 December 2014, 21:38   #29
Havie

James Bond - Goldeneye
Seaquest
Babylon 5

All used Amigas but we are getting a bit away from the game theme...
Old 03 December 2014, 10:22   #30
Amigajay

I just want an article to shows to other retro gamers the importance of the Amiga as a gaming system, the amount of games people don't realise came out on the Amiga first then ported to PC and consoles, and get remembered for being on the latter, lets rectify a piece of history!
Old 04 December 2014, 17:07   #31
Phantomz

I'd like to see more Amiga coverage in Retro Gamer like I'm sure a lot of people on here do.

I'd love for Retro Gamer to release a book for the Amiga like they did for the Megadrive & SNES, I'm sure they could fill a whole book on just the amiga.

It could have information about all the different systems, all the top games and hardware that everyone wanted back then like gvp hard drives and action replay carts for example.

It could also include what's currently available now for us amiga users that refuse to let the system die like, ACA Accelerators, Indivision Scan Doublers, RapidRoad USB Controllers etc.

Just an idea.
Old 04 December 2014, 18:20   #32
Tolls

More Developer interviews which cover lesser known games, rather than the usual same old faces would be good.
Old 08 December 2014, 16:45   #33
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomz View Post
I'd like to see more Amiga coverage in Retro Gamer like I'm sure a lot of people on here do.

I'd love for Retro Gamer to release a book for the Amiga like they did for the Megadrive & SNES, I'm sure they could fill a whole book on just the amiga.

It could have information about all the different systems, all the top games and hardware that everyone wanted back then like gvp hard drives and action replay carts for example.

It could also include what's currently available now for us amiga users that refuse to let the system die like, ACA Accelerators, Indivision Scan Doublers, RapidRoad USB Controllers etc.

Just an idea.
It's worth remembering that most of our books are typically reprints. While I like the idea of hardware based articles, my concern is that they might be deemed as too techy for the readership. Things like that in the past, have always seemed better suited to fanzine in the past as they can always give them the space they deserve. We're always on the look out for new developers, so watch this space.
Old 08 December 2014, 19:39   #34
Mr Plow

Maybe it'd be worth you contacting Sam Dyer (@MrSidC64) and seeing if he'd be interested in doing a few articles for you (early memories of the Amiga back in the day etc, demo scene, that sort of thing). I expect he's a little busy at the moment juggling a full time job and putting together the new Commodore Amiga: a visual Commpendium book but it might be something he'd be up for doing.
Old 13 December 2014, 09:58   #35
SWIV

Either interviews with programmers or the history behind games and their creation is always interesting,we already know much about the games themselves but not always what was going on behind the scenes at the time.I have heard some fascinating stories on various gaming podcasts with designers and programmers regarding where they came from,how they joined the team and what happened to them later. Also you can discover some interesting facts about the game code including removed features and problems.
Old 20 December 2014, 17:57   #36
zapiy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomz View Post

Just an idea.
This ^

I am also a monthly subscriber and would love to see more Amiga related articles.. As said previously, many people seem to think the MD or SNES we the be all and end all so leveling that playing field would be great..
Old 23 December 2014, 22:02   #37
mrbob2

On a general note.. it would be nice to have articles about all the major platforms of the 80s/90s and have a where are they now section?

the amiga maybe dead.. but for me its never been more alive! This community is vibrant and new games and PD stuff gets released all the time.

Would be nice to see how the spectrum, c64, st, amstrad "scenes" are doing nowadays too. The sites and best forums etc.

EDIT. just been browsing on retro gamer site and found your doing The Amiga Book! wow amazing, i thought earlier you said you were not going to do a bookazine as it just reprints old articles?

http://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/...he-amiga-book/

available 31st december hurrah!
Old 09 January 2015, 01:30   #38
s2325
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Plow View Post
Maybe it'd be worth you contacting Sam Dyer (@MrSidC64) and seeing if he'd be interested in doing a few articles for you (early memories of the Amiga back in the day etc, demo scene, that sort of thing). I expect he's a little busy at the moment juggling a full time job and putting together the new Commodore Amiga: a visual Commpendium book but it might be something he'd be up for doing.
Sam Dyer - AMIGA Kickstarter Interview at Play Expo 2014
Every now and then we post something that isnt a longplay, like this int.
BACK IT: spoke with Sam Dyer about his AMIGA Kickstarter, .
BOOK NOW FUNDED! VISIT or to pre-order your copy (coming soon) This campaign is to hopefully produce a new.
This months episode includes a new gaming museum coming to England, several Donkey Kong titles, and a very retro way to send your post (if you live in Ireland).

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 January 2015, 08:33   #39
spudje

I guess first thing to do is clear up all the fuzz around the Retro Gamer "Amiga Book". Many of us have it on order in the imagine shop stuck on processing, while it released days ago
Old 09 January 2015, 10:34   #40
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
s2325 the video at your link is simply an advert for the book. Where is the interview?