English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 August 2001, 01:32   #41
Ian
Global Moderator

Both of you

Read my post in THIS THREAD as you will see I have already established that mine is better than yours Just don't click the link for the picture as it's no longer there.
Old 16 August 2001, 01:38   #42
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Okay you win! For now at least!

Actually the next big thing in emulation will be a CRAY 2 emulator!

I am currently programming one now!
Old 16 August 2001, 04:15   #43
Amiga1992

And I have established, that my country is shittier than all your countries joined together! And I won!

Anyway, back 'on topic', yes Ian, you got the shit for your Saturn. As I said, us poor westerners did not get to fulfill delect the sweetness of the games released in japan. Let me tell you, 2D wise, teh Saturn pees all over the PSX. But stupid western Segas decided that '3D is the shiznit, let's go do a PSX' with a machine that couldn't handle 3D as well as its competitor (though there are a few examples that show it oculd get quite close, but these were the least).

At the end of the day, teH Saturn was pulled from all western markets, but lived on until about 1999/2000 in Japan.

My statement about Sony releasing info wasnt clear enough. I tried to say that they easilly released info to developers, but sega were more hard arses. Just ike with the NeoGeo Pocket. Those bastards didnt even let known euro companies to have the info! But that was good, since quality assurance was of a high level. I preffer this than a company pulling a Nintendo and letting any kind of crap go out to the market (read: Gameboy Color)

System wars are stupid and childish, but I love getting invvolved in them...

PS2 SUX J00 SOX!!!!
:laugh
Old 16 August 2001, 21:18   #44
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

The PS2 doesn't suck. have you played GT3 its the best game ever. So it plays almost exactly the same as GT2 and has less cars, etc, etc. What about all the other great games? There are lots of them. When I counted, I managed to get to my second finger!
Old 16 August 2001, 23:00   #45
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

I lied of course. I really can't think of one truely classic game on the machine that I have played. All the best games that are coming out in the future appear to be ports from Dreamcast. Now that's a great machine. Why didn't this machine do well? Lots of reasons I know, but it was still a fine machine with most of the best games that have come out over the last two years.
Old 17 August 2001, 01:03   #46
Ian
Global Moderator

Sega Games

Are cool, but if you base your console (Whoever makes it) on 5 minute wham, bam, thank you mam arcade fest's the console is doomed to fail. The Dreamcast has some great games, but aside from Shenmue weren't all Sega games of the Arcade type (ie Last a little over five minutes and then it's over)

If Sega concentrated a little harder on games like Shenmue, maybe the Dreamcast would still be a strong player and not on the sidelines like it is now.

Sega DO make great games, in fact they have made some of the greatest ever IMO, but after the huge success of the Mega Drive marketing campaign (Here in the UK at least) they either thought they owned the market and rested on their lorrals or they simple lost the plot when it came to advertising.

Either way it's brought about the demise of this once great company and now I've heared recently that Micro$oft is probably going to buy them out.
Old 17 August 2001, 01:18   #47
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Unhappy

I've recently heard that too. That just shocked me! There are some games that last longer than five minutes on the DC. Too name a few there is: NBA 2K (one of the best basketball games), MSR (a great racing game with loads of replay value), Soul Calibre (in my opinion the best 3D fighting game), Gauntlet Legends (though Gauntlet is better and yes it is on other machines), Codename Veronica (the best in the Resident Evil series), and Virtua Tennis (the best tennis game other than Super Tennis on the Snes! Al these games lasted me a lot longer than Shen Mue which I completed after about 15 hours play!

Old 17 August 2001, 05:56   #48
APFelon
Cable Buyer

Jaguar emulator is showing some promise. Check out this thread from Retrogames.com.

http://www.retrogames.com/cgi-bin/ww...sb=7#Post39459

I wish I would have bought a Jag in its heyday, but... Oh, well.
Old 17 August 2001, 09:36   #49
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Jagulator seems promising!
Old 17 August 2001, 18:38   #50
Amiga1992

Re: Sega Games

Let's quote Ali G again

Quote:
[Sega games]Are cool, but if you base your console (Whoever makes it) on 5 minute wham, bam, thank you mam arcade fest's the console is doomed to fail.
Hello? Phantasy Star Online? Grandia 2 The DC really had quite a lot of neatos for the more thinking person, and the replay value of many of its arcade titles make it more than just 5 minutes of fun. DC is the machine for me because I'm more of an arcade player. Keep in mind a lot of people don't have the time to sit for hours and play an RPG, like me, even if I like them. If I had to pay one RPG, it'd take me a whole year finishing it or something, given the free time I get.

Quote:
The Dreamcast has some great games, but aside from Shenmue weren't all Sega games of the Arcade type (ie Last a little over five minutes and then it's over)
Again, I put two examples above, and Shenmue is teh worst of them all. I have never seen such a boring game. It's pathetic. You are much better playing Grandia 2 than that tech demo they call a game. Dragon's Lair syndrome all over. It really is technically amazing, but that's yer lot. scratch teh surface and you'll find nothing.

Quote:
If Sega concentrated a little harder on games like Shenmue, maybe the Dreamcast would still be a strong player and not on the sidelines like it is now.
Thank god they didn't

Quote:
Sega DO make great games, in fact they have made some of the greatest ever IMO, but after the huge success of the Mega Drive marketing campaign (Here in the UK at least) they either thought they owned the market and rested on their lorrals or they simple lost the plot when it came to advertising.
Sega, liek most great companies (read: commodore, Atari) have terribly FAILED in the Marketing field. A real shame. You know, Atari was always a step beyond everyone else technology-wise, but their idiotic marketing er.. 'techniques', made them lose the market. They were the first to make a cd-rom, fer pete's sake

Quote:
Either way it's brought about the demise of this once great company and now I've heared recently that Micro$oft is probably going to buy them out.
If this DOES happen, I'll be fucking raving MAD.
Old 17 August 2001, 19:49   #51
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Thumbs up

I second that Akira! Every single word of it! What was Ali G on about!? Ali, did you ever own or substantially play games on a Dreamcast? Although I did enjoy Shen Mue, but it did feel more like watching a film than actually playing a game! I am happy I completed it quickly and was able to get a refund!

Anyway Ali G, mine is better than yours!

Old 17 August 2001, 19:55   #52
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Next best ting in emulation will be.....

.......can you guess?

Well of course, its me! I will definitely be the next big thing in emulation! Bet you all can't wait to have me emulated on your PC's!:laugh :laugh

OK, it wasn't that funny! But at it least it was about emulation!
Old 18 August 2001, 00:22   #53
Ian
Global Moderator

My infomation came from the only friend of mine how DID have a Dreamcast, oh and the very Sega biased Sega web also said the exact same thing a few months back. About the Arcade 5 minute thrill thing.

As for my comments on Shenmue being the only long game on Dreamcast, well what can I say, I honestly thought it was, I pay NO attention to any console these days now I have GT3 and I won't pay anymore attention to them until Final Fantasy 10 comes out either.

Consoles Suck (All of them, Dreamcast, X-Box, GameCube and PS2) in fact the only good console is one that's turned off (And the classic Atari 2600)
Old 18 August 2001, 00:50   #54
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Thumbs down

Got bored with GT3 after about 5 minutes, man! Done all the GT thing with the PS1! Granted it looks better, but its just another sequel and its only real merits over the first two games are aesthetic! Oh, I forgot about the oil change. That really elevated the game, didn't it?

Granted there are a few arcade 5 minute thrill games - such as Crazy Taxi and 18 Wheeler but they are playable and I still go back to them occasionally as they are a larf! GT3 is just too much of an car anorak thing for me!

Also all of the games Akira and I mentioned came out well b4 GT3! Anyway I see no point in dissing the machines. Its the games that should be criticised. The PS2 is a fine machine but for me there is no game that makes me want to have one, yet! Don't mention the likes of MGS 2, coz that is just another sequel of a game that I thought was well overated!:hooooo
Old 18 August 2001, 01:46   #55
Ian
Global Moderator

As I said

Console's suck, I am completely bored with all consoles (Apart from the Atari 2600, Combat rulez), the powerful machines of today are only intended to improve Graphics and Sound not gameplay. Has any game managed to beat the sheer playablity of Mario 64 , I think not (Well maybe Mario Tennis, but it's still on the N64) and that game was released something like 6 or 7 years ago.

Improvement's in gameplay will only happen if the Miyamoto (Maybe not spelt right but hopefully you know who I mean) genius strikes gold again. All innovations in gaming today IMO have come from that softly spoken gaming god. Apparently even he is running out of ideas.

Last edited by Ian; 18 August 2001 at 02:20.
Old 18 August 2001, 12:15   #56
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Thumbs up

Agreed about the Miyamoto thing! But not all consoles suck! The N64 and the Dreamcast have most of the best titles on console over the last three to four years! Not many people mention Blast Corps and that was a fantastic game. About as original as gaming has got and actually worth playing in the five years! Altho Mario 64 was probably the last time I really though WOW. I am playing something really special on the day I bought my N64.
Old 18 August 2001, 21:50   #57
Amiga1992

Re: As I said

Quote:
Originally posted by IanCharge
Console's suck, I am completely bored with all consoles (Apart from the Atari 2600, Combat rulez), the powerful machines of today are only intended to improve Graphics and Sound not gameplay. Has any game managed to beat the sheer playablity of Mario 64 , I think not (Well maybe Mario Tennis, but it's still on the N64) and that game was released something like 6 or 7 years ago.

Improvement's in gameplay will only happen if the Miyamoto (Maybe not spelt right but hopefully you know who I mean) genius strikes gold again. All innovations in gaming today IMO have come from that softly spoken gaming god. Apparently even he is running out of ideas.
PREACH ON, MY BROTHER!

though I would not consider Miyamoto to be the end-all games guru, I completely agree with what you said. However Im not bored with consoles, except those which are 'next gen', and the Dreamcast. I quite like the DC.

My Gameboy Advance is the king of today, though
Old 18 August 2001, 22:41   #58
Ian
Global Moderator

Big grin Mark this day in history folks

As Akira and I finally agree (In part) on something related to consoles

BTW Jagulator had a release today for those that wanted it. Still only plays PD roms at the moment though, but next release will be a biggy (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink say na more)

Also GBA is good It wasn't included in my all console are crap statement as I don't consider it a fully fledged console, it's a hand held

Last edited by Ian; 18 August 2001 at 23:02.
Old 19 August 2001, 23:36   #59
Amiga1992

Hah! Jaguar! Anotehr one they thought wouldn't be emulated. I'll be looking forward to this... at last, interesting emu news!
Old 31 August 2001, 00:15   #60
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I refuse to post in the Off Topic zone anymore. But I must MUST say, this is by far the best thread in it...keep this one, RCK..it is big, true, but its a good reference point. Maybe it can be moved to general discussion. This is my small opinion on this