English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 January 2005, 21:57   #1
RuySan

What's your favorite amiga RPG?

Mine must be Legend. The game is perfect. It's a shame that no games with that same style of puzzles are being made today.

Other must be Heimdall. I remember that my copy had a bug and i couldn't pass to the second world. But it was a great game witn awesome graphics

I also liked a lot Hero Quest and its sequel "Legacy of Sorasil". They don't have a lot of depth but are very atmospheric. I never beat Legacy of Sorasil boss.
Old 06 January 2005, 12:36   #2
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Legend of Sendai

Can be found on Aminet.
Old 06 January 2005, 17:57   #3
LordCrass

Dungeon Master or Ultima V

Old 06 January 2005, 23:58   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Ambermoon but I would say that

Last edited by alexh; 01 June 2007 at 18:08.
Old 07 January 2005, 00:00   #5
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Ultima VI: The False Prophet.
Old 07 January 2005, 00:13   #6
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett
Ultima VI: The False Prophet.
I too liked U6 very much there Cody, the sound track is top notch

However I would say my favorite is a Dungeon Master clone named Black Crypt
Old 07 January 2005, 01:14   #7
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Thumbs up [Dungeon Master] & [Black Crypt]

Ahhh, RPG's = the ultimate gaming experience...

I remember playing [Dungeon Master] "back in the days"...

It was summer vacation and while doing absolutely nothing, one could play on Amy, listen to music and all that while watching TV...not to mention breathing the nose-stinging scent of manure aka shit (from the game plainly - it has nothing to do with the fact that i live in a small village )

Even whith all this crap going all around, one could actually "feel the climate" hiding at every corner of the dungeon. Playing with the spells, watching the food meters, knocking out those dumm dummies... i mean mummies with the open/close door trick, hunting green-tree-creatures for green-slime-food, and writing/painting those (annoying yet incredibly helpful) level maps... sometimes stopping for hours/days/weeks on one single puzzle/item that looks impossible to figure/find out... and then RULEING with the almighty "Staff of Fire" aka "Fire Staff" ... and FINALLY, actually finishing the game!!!

...and the next year...

It's [Black Crypt] time!
Here we go again: Playing with better looking (but less 3D), easier casted yet IMHO less in quality/quantity/effective spells, watching again food/water meters, getting used to a bit different characters build-up scheme, and some "temporary indestructible" creatures (for about a month i was trying to beat that damn first level Ogre who got the key to the next level ). Automapping saves hours and hundreds of pencils and the nicely felt map scrolling... feels... nice . Watching while getting through the eye-candy water levels and the horrible red-levels... again those puzzles/key items, yet seemingly easier to solve/find... but not so fool-proof this time, and one could easly use them almost anywhere (example: water-breathing or invincibility potions), walking the game to a death-end. More boss-like-creatures holding some key-items, impossible to beat without other key-items, which (those key-items held by bosses) are necessary to advance further in game ... and (yeah, you've guessed it ...) FINALLY, finishing the game!!! (yet the final boss seems tougher )
Awesome games those where, awesome games those are!
Old 07 January 2005, 02:22   #8
oldpx

Eye of the Beholder 2 is certainly my no1 although it's more action oriented and perhaps the krynn games come after that. Ishar 2-3 are nice artistically but not in gameplay. Ultima is great of course but I like Ultima 4 on master system more than any version/port

Old 07 January 2005, 04:29   #9
Locash

Got to agree with Jimijo here an say Black Crypt. Excellent escape the maze RPG.
Old 07 January 2005, 10:38   #10
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Ishar 2 & 3 were nearly impossible (IMO). The clues were almost impossible to find and for some of the puzzles you had no clue at all. I finished Ishar 3 with a solution at hand when I got stuck... (did the maps myself though). Plus the fact that in the beginning you are just walking around beating up ninja muggers just to get cash and experience was not exactly fun. But I did like the character system those games had, like the fact that different characters could have relationships or hate eachother and disappear during the night.

Dungeon Master was indeed my favorite Amiga RPG. It was hard, but possible. I liked the way you developed your spells, although there was a lot of training required for that game also to get the spells to higher levels (I know I kept a huge amount of potions for it ). The same system still applies today to games like Morrowind. And then the way you had to kill most enemies in the beginning of the game. Either jam them between a door or toss your entire collection of clubs at them
Old 07 January 2005, 14:44   #11
Marcuz

almost every game you say in the thread has got hours from me, and to me too, EoB saga was a great action rpg (well almost shot 'em up...); also Frontier could be considered as such. but in the end, the rpg that i kinda was honest to, by playin' them for the sake of the quests were the ones of the Gold Box serie, particulary both the Savage Frontiers games.
Also the Krynn ones were good, but the last one.
Ishar would be my fav ever probably, if it wasn't for its crappy gameplay.

On PC i've enjoyed some mods of Neverwinter Nights wich saved the gameplay from the repetitive routines of the original game, for instance the port of Eye of the Beholder and the rendition of Lone Wolf.
Morrowind was cool but flawed by a lack of realism and (to me) a too plain and boring game' rule set. it lacked of mistery, you know...
The Temple of Elemental Evil was good, just awfully programmed, but the ambientation was really great.
Old 07 January 2005, 15:07   #12
frostwork

There are several very good ones...
But the alltime BEST is Ambermoon!!!!
Till today I don't know what this antic-book is good for?
Old 09 January 2005, 12:49   #13
RuySan

I always wanted to try Ambermoon...but i only got the ADF's in german. Its spiritual sequel Albion, is probably my favorite RPG ever.
Ishar games were gorgeous, but i agree about the clues. The game was only played with a solution.
Old 09 January 2005, 12:59   #14
EmuChicken

Might and Magic 2 , Crystal Dragon
Old 09 January 2005, 13:53   #15
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuySan
I always wanted to try Ambermoon...but i only got the ADF's in german.
You can get the English version from the Thalion Webshrine
Quote:
Its spiritual sequel Albion, is probably my favorite RPG ever.
It's the sequal to Amberstar and the forerunner of Albion (different game altogther).

Last edited by alexh; 01 June 2007 at 18:07.
Old 09 January 2005, 15:22   #16
Titler
Zone Friend

I'd say Ultima V over VI, although this is partly because I played UVI on PC instead of Amiga; however the plot of Ultima V is, although a little more clichéd than VI, is stronger overall in the characterisation of incidental characters, and just seems to have a greater level of small details to me... and this makes up for the worse graphics, and single repeating tune.
Old 09 January 2005, 22:00   #17
keropi

EOB II is my favorite...
BTW, wheren't a RPG similar to nintento's ZELDA released on amiga? Something about a little indian? anyone knows what is that game?
Old 09 January 2005, 22:17   #18
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Legends? http://hol.abime.net/?id=864
Old 10 January 2005, 00:19   #19
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

That looks like the one he meant, although Speris Legacy is also VERY like Zelda, in fact it's pretty much a bloody zelda clone!
Old 10 January 2005, 00:36   #20
keropi

yep, it is legends! thanx!