English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 July 2003, 08:55   #1
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Very cool Atari St game!

In the spirit of those cute arcadey racing games we love....

Power Up developed by a Czech company, has released it for free. Works on any Atari St with at least a Meg of memory, or an emulator.

get it here:

http://www.mujweb.cz/www/cichon/pu/d.../download.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pu04.gif
Views:	517
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	5415  
Old 21 July 2003, 12:50   #2
Bloodwych

Thanks Fred, I'll certainly give that a go.

Recently I've been feeling the need to pick up a second hand Atari ST. I used to have the single sided 520STFM before migrating to the miggy. I'm not the type to pick up loads of redundant hardware, but I have felt the need to buy back the machines I used to own from yesteryear.

First games - Barbarian, Star Wars and Super Sprint. Oh yeah, and that free asteroids game. Then games like Beyond the Ice Palace, Falcon, Defender of the Crown, Xenon, Time Bandit and Plutos seem to stick in my mind as well. Plus the ST was the very first machine on which I played Bloodwych - in demo format off a cover disk round a friends house. Then I went home and ordered it for the Amiga.

So what's the best model to pick up for compatibility with the Automation ect collections? 1024 STFM?
Old 21 July 2003, 14:20   #3
manicx

Go for a STE! Compatibility is not an issue. I've found menus that may not run in STE (eg Automation) but the Pompey Pirates does. Basically, I have 4.7Gigs of ST software and had very few issues on my STE...
Old 22 July 2003, 01:12   #4
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Bloodwych listen to Manix, an STe is the way to go. Its can be had cheap nowadays.
Manix, how many bloody games make s up 4.7 gigs??
Old 22 July 2003, 01:40   #5
jmmijo

Fred, just look at the freakin' TOSEC sets and you'll get the idea
Old 22 July 2003, 01:51   #6
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
1040STF's are dirt cheap on ebay, whats so great about an STE as far as games go, most wont use the extra memory or the stereo sound anyway.
Old 22 July 2003, 03:54   #7
IFW

An STE has a lot of the abilities of a miggy, like hw scrolling, digital sound, colour depth etc. that the original ST (st, stf, stfm etc) hardware does not have.
Probably it was made to help targeting both the Amiga and STE market at the same time by the developers and to keep developers on board as the similarities are spooky to say the least
Old 22 July 2003, 03:58   #8
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Yes but how many games actually used any of those functions? Everything was targeted to the 1040 STF with 1mb base memory.

Reminds me of how many games were made especially for the C128 (umm like a handfull)
Old 22 July 2003, 04:02   #9
IFW

No idea, but I guess from the point ST games become Amiga ports - as opposed to the original scenario - anything that were written for both platforms were strictly for the ste only.
Old 22 July 2003, 07:20   #10
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K Yes but how many games actually used any of those functions? Everything was targeted to the 1040 STF with 1mb base memory.

Reminds me of how many games were made especially for the C128 (umm like a handfull)
Correct and some of these specific C128 ports were games like from Infocom, their text adventures of course that ran under 80-column mode but still loaded slow due to the loader routines

As for the ST thing, since I never ever had one I can't comment except to say it wouldn't surprise me that Atari copied a lot of things from the Amiga, plagarizm is the sincerist form of flattery
Old 22 July 2003, 09:04   #11
manicx

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
Bloodwych listen to Manix, an STe is the way to go. Its can be had cheap nowadays.
Manix, how many bloody games make s up 4.7 gigs??
Erm...toooooooooooooooooooo many! I made the ultimate ST DVD collection a month ago. This includes many menus, games, programs, YMs, SNDs, and shitloads of other stuff (not to forget my favourite, demos).

As for the STE and the games that came up just for it, I would say the ratio is exactly the same as the AGA games for the Amiga. Bear in mind, that STE games started coming up as soon as in 1990 (Wings of Death by Thalion was one of the first to come up) and continued coming up until 2000+!

Best of all, is that there are STE games that take full advantage of the Jaguar pad (Substation is one of them)! Basically, you can buy a 520 STE for as much as 15 GBP, and buy cheap 30 Pin SIMMs for 1 or 2 quid. Basically, I found 4 Megs for 1 Euro!!! I love ebay. If only I could find a cheap cyberstorm for my A4k ...