English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 06 July 2020, 23:03   #21
MikeyG

I know Gods is a very popular game. But one I havn't played yet, look forwarded to giving it a go.
And nice to see a Golf game too I bet @linesmachine is already out there on the course as I'm typing this getting in a great score ;-)
Old 07 July 2020, 00:38   #22
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Hey MikeyG, I've been enjoying practicing some holes on WCLB. Been ages since I gave a golf game some proper time.

Meanwhile, had to see what Gods is all about. Lost a couple of lives as it trolled me for not going in the correct direction first or finding the secrets. And as for play style, seems you really have to tank this game. Might be tough for me but seems cool so far. My first ever go and score. Bit of practice needed.

Old 07 July 2020, 18:47   #23
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
I just picked up a post. In the second world of the first level, you reach that health token from above.

In the first world, you must press the last "hidden" switch ("hidden" switches look almost like background), how you do that is contained in my first link below. Then, in the first part of the second world of the first level, you must press the right hidden switch on the right platform first, then walk left and kill all enemies there on the left side. Then press the left hidden switch on the left platform. A giant jump potion will appear allowing you to jump to the roof for a nice bonus.

Separate links here because the frame containing the level selection on that website is broken atm:

http://www.bitmap-brothers.de/gods/gods_level_1_eng.htm
http://www.bitmap-brothers.de/gods/gods_level_2_eng.htm
http://www.bitmap-brothers.de/gods/gods_level_3_eng.htm
http://www.bitmap-brothers.de/gods/gods_level_4_eng.htm

I discovered most of the secrets as I played Gods to death back in the days (and contributed to that website). However, I couldnt discover all the secrets alone and was glad to have found that website. Of course not everything is on that website, you have to know where the enemies spawn to kill them with no or little energy loss.
Thanks, this helps immensely!
Old 07 July 2020, 22:02   #24
MikeyG

Hi Biscuit, thats a good first attempt. I loaded it up last night to have first play of it. My first score was 14,000 which isn't good. I got past first locked door and on to next section but I got lost where I could go. Getting use to the jumping. Will be checking out Harry's links and some walkthroughs for help.
Old 07 July 2020, 22:53   #25
MikeyG

So I'm stuck at the same place I was yesterday and I've watch a walkthrough and it shows being able to make this jump. But I just can't make the jump.
Is there some super jump or double jump button that I'm missing here?

At least I'm up to 20,664
Old 07 July 2020, 23:08   #26
manossg

Made some great progress with Harry's links, but got myself stuck in a nasty dead end in world 2, lvl 2 and had to quit the game, even though I had 4 lives left. >_<
Old 08 July 2020, 02:47   #27
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
So I'm stuck at the same place I was yesterday and I've watch a walkthrough and it shows being able to make this jump. But I just can't make the jump.
In your screenshot, look between the windows and there is a block that you can press like a lever/button (there are lots of these, hint hint). It will drop a potion that will give you extra jumping height (no idea for how long). I got that potion but didn't know what it did and carried on the other way, like an idiot. I just thought you'd come back round to the higher platform later from another direction.

As far as I can see Gods has a lot of items that are not in the manual. Plenty of trial and error. Or there is a list of potions in this link. Plus some other good tips. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/amiga/...ods/faqs/45710

edit: and yeah, getting used to the jumping is tricky for me too. Old fashioned style platformer controls.

Last edited by Biscuit; 08 July 2020 at 02:52.
Old 08 July 2020, 20:12   #28
MikeyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
In your screenshot, look between the windows and there is a block that you can press like a lever/button

Thanks, didn't see that. I did barely notice the key that is below and to the left, grey on grey.
Old 08 July 2020, 20:18   #29
manossg

Quote:
I think you first have to kill all baddies on your left and then press the button, so as to get the super jump/superfrog potion.
Old 09 July 2020, 22:02   #30
john4p
Competition Moderator

Just finished level 1-1 following the guide that Harry contributed to. These switch puzzles are insane. It's absolutely impossible to figure out all secrets on your own. The devs of this game must have revealed some of them.
The number of possibilities in order of pulling and resetting levers is just too high to find out alone. That's why I never invested much time into this.
I usually don't use guides but for this I'll follow it from start to finish, using savestates until I've memorized everything. Glad I won't have to figure out these lever puzzles as they are not comprehensible in any way.
Old 09 July 2020, 23:49   #31
Harry
HD Installer

The switch puzzles are not as bad as you think, as switches puzzles are usually connected in groups of 2-4 switches, limiting the possibilities.
Worse are objects like keys appearing out of nowhere.
Old 10 July 2020, 10:03   #32
john4p
Competition Moderator

Yeah this game is full of surprises. I'll try to play through it without the guide first to get some sense of accomplishment.
Old 11 July 2020, 00:52   #33
RuySan

I just went for a quick game, and before I knew I got further than ever. I don't think I even ever saw the Level 1 boss (which was surprisingly easy). The second level isn't much harder than the first, and those spears really do pack a punch.

Next time and I'll check the guides to see if it makes that much of a difference.

Old 11 July 2020, 14:30   #34
MikeyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
In your screenshot, look between the windows and there is a block that you can press like a lever/button (there are lots of these, hint hint). It will drop a potion that will give you extra jumping height
Hi Biscuit, Nothing drops for me when I push that button so I'm still stuck. Spend a good hour on this now and slowly loosing my mind.
I went off to the right and managed to open the hatch and go down so got some more points but can't go any further.

Old 11 July 2020, 14:51   #35
manossg

Quote:
Hi Biscuit, Nothing drops for me when I push that button so I'm still stuck. Spend a good hour on this now and slowly loosing my mind.
I went off to the right and managed to open the hatch and go down so got some more points but can't go any further.

Check out my reply above.
Old 12 July 2020, 14:13   #36
MikeyG

@manossg I'm sure that I've killed everyone in the area and then tried the button and got nothing.
Old 12 July 2020, 14:45   #37
manossg

Quote:
@manossg I'm sure that I've killed everyone in the area and then tried the button and got nothing.
Hmmm, maybe you have to get the hidden platform bonus before the final door of the previous level?
Old 15 July 2020, 23:45   #38
Harry
HD Installer

Quote:
I described exactly that already in a previous post.

New score: Gods 02.356.715
I dont think I can better that score, now its golf time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GD_02356715.png
Views:	96
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	68160  
Old 16 July 2020, 21:16   #39
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Yes, I think you can relax for a bit with that score Harry. I will try to give you more of a challenge on WCLB.

However, a couple more goes and I'm making progress with Gods. It's fiendish but I like the pace.

Old 16 July 2020, 21:50   #40
MikeyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
I described exactly that already in a previous post.
Sorry Harry, didn't see that. Thanks I will try and work it out and hopefully have a better run tonight.