English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Sprites

Old 20 February 2009, 12:03   #41
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I could do with some help -for example if i was makeing a platform game how would I do the collision interation between the tiles and the character. My haveing the main character follow the MAP data or my defining areas.
Old 20 February 2009, 12:28   #42
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
hmmm...if you like to know how platformers work:

http://jnrdev.72dpiarmy.com/

there are many other tutorials from which i learned enough to write tools like LvlRip and the new started JoeED...

even if you like to know how Turrican 2 works...feel free to ask..
Old 20 February 2009, 12:58   #43
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Thanks Joe that looks intresting by checking X and Y coordinates against the MAP data - I just cant programe a good rutine.

Also something starnge I was hacking Giana sisters sprite and noticed it displays two sprites on the screen at the same time. One is the normal sprite the other underneath is the same but a simple 1 bit plane image.
Old 20 February 2009, 14:14   #44
blade002
Zone Friend

Great to have you onboard here ChuckRockJnr , and ANY Turrican tribute game is something we can ALL appreciate on here because the Turrican games (except for part 3) are legendary and i myself as with you have some great memories from playing Turrican 2 when i first played it age 17 in 1991 ..lol.

I mention the age thing because i noticed like a few others have picked up on that you are 16 !!... but please don't think that i am putting you down for being younger, on the contrary, its absolutely brilliant that you the age you are now and are into the Amiga , and with the adage of producing a Turrican tribute you have my complete respect.

Welcome mate
Old 20 February 2009, 14:37   #45
zenox98
Joy Division

@Boo Boo
You could also install MicroS**t's free VisualC# and XNA 3 framework, which comes with a ready made platformer demo. You need a little C# skill, but it's quite simple to understand.

NB Don't flame me please for mentioning the 'M' word
Old 20 February 2009, 19:01   #46
Chuck-Rock-Jnr

Send a message via MSN to Chuck-Rock-Jnr
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Great to have you onboard here ChuckRockJnr , and ANY Turrican tribute game is something we can ALL appreciate on here because the Turrican games (except for part 3) are legendary and i myself as with you have some great memories from playing Turrican 2 when i first played it age 17 in 1991 ..lol.

I mention the age thing because i noticed like a few others have picked up on that you are 16 !!... but please don't think that i am putting you down for being younger, on the contrary, its absolutely brilliant that you the age you are now and are into the Amiga , and with the adage of producing a Turrican tribute you have my complete respect.

Welcome mate
Why thanks for the welcoming!!, yeh some people where shocked at my age, but i grewup with the amiga, and in someway long for it's future,
I don't care if I get moaned at because i'm not using C++/c , i'm doing it my way, to see if a good game can be made without c coding!
I had a private message asking why the hell a 16 year old is on here ¬¬ are younger people frowned upon???!?!

Anyway thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 20 February 2009, 19:13   #47
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Rock-Jnr View Post
Why thanks for the welcoming!!, yeh some people where shocked at my age, but i grewup with the amiga, and in someway long for it's future,
I don't care if I get moaned at because i'm not using C++/c , i'm doing it my way, to see if a good game can be made without c coding!
I had a private message asking why the hell a 16 year old is on here ¬¬ are younger people frowned upon???!?!

Anyway thanks for the warm welcome!
If you grew up with the Amiga then you grew up with the Amiga regardless of age and that more than qualifies you to be here so don't listen to any prick saying otherwise (actually i am a little surprised that someone on here would say that, very sorry for that mate)

Program how you see fit mate, it does not matter how you do it, the important FACT is that you are doing it!
Old 20 February 2009, 19:54   #48
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Rock-Jnr View Post
I had a private message asking why the hell a 16 year old is on here ¬¬ are younger people frowned upon???!?
Whoever did that really needs to take a long hard look at themselves quite frankly. Wouldn't have thought anyone would be so insecure as to do something like that but there we go.

Welcome aboard, best of luck and don't let the idiots get you down
Old 20 February 2009, 20:15   #49
Chuck-Rock-Jnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Whoever did that really needs to take a long hard look at themselves quite frankly. Wouldn't have thought anyone would be so insecure as to do something like that but there we go.

Welcome aboard, best of luck and don't let the idiots get you down
Apart from that guy...

EVERYONE ON HERE IS SOOOO NICE!!!! you all rock!! thank you so much for the welcome guys!!
Old 25 February 2009, 15:08   #50
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

welcome aboard CRJ. I find your choice of development platform an interesting one, hurray for people that rebel against the all too common C++

Good luck on your project!
Old 05 March 2009, 13:53   #51
Chuck-Rock-Jnr

I was just wandering, I saw on some other thread websites that people hated the look of those walking eyes from the ALIEN level of turrican 2 as they were ugly, well I could replace them with the Alien creatures from turrican 3 if you want? I will have to edit their colours to match the pallette of the Turrican 2 alien level, but if you want me to replace the walking eyes with the ALIEN creature from turrican 3 i need someone to rip the sprite, so please let me know

Last edited by Chuck-Rock-Jnr; 05 March 2009 at 19:13.
Old 05 March 2009, 17:40   #52
Joe Maroni

yes please do it...i believe you can create a fantastic remake...
and remember that i'll rip the gfx for you without any problems
Old 05 March 2009, 19:13   #53
Chuck-Rock-Jnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maroni View Post
yes please do it...i believe you can create a fantastic remake...
and remember that i'll rip the gfx for you without any problems
You actually are fantastic!!!!!

I would like the Alien walker from turrican 3 please! Thank you so much!!!
Hope to get it soon!!!

Thank you ever so much

George

P.S. i have a few remake screenshots on my profile!
Old 07 March 2009, 18:36   #54
KTC
Registered WHDLoad User

Maybe I'm just a little daft today, but where do I find this demo with the exploding sprites?
I'm a big fan of the Turrican games and Chris Hüelsbeck, who made the music for the games.

A remake would be great, but I must admit, that as an educated programmer, I also have some concerns about how much you can stretch a high-level script/command based programming language. On the other hand, computers today are so powerful, that maybe it is not absolutely nessasary anymore to optimize your code to achieve great results. The graphics hardware today is way faster and compared to the 7MHz of Amiga 500, you can do a lot with the multicore 3000MHz computers most of us are using today.

Maybe the hardware and "real" programming abstraction can allow Chuck-Rock-Jnr to focus on things like the gameplay and actually finish the project instead of it dying long before being finished like these projects usually do.
Old 07 March 2009, 20:44   #55
Joe Maroni

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
Maybe I'm just a little daft today, but where do I find this demo with the exploding sprites?
I'm a big fan of the Turrican games and Chris Hüelsbeck, who made the music for the games.

A remake would be great, but I must admit, that as an educated programmer, I also have some concerns about how much you can stretch a high-level script/command based programming language. On the other hand, computers today are so powerful, that maybe it is not absolutely nessasary anymore to optimize your code to achieve great results. The graphics hardware today is way faster and compared to the 7MHz of Amiga 500, you can do a lot with the multicore 3000MHz computers most of us are using today.

Maybe the hardware and "real" programming abstraction can allow Chuck-Rock-Jnr to focus on things like the gameplay and actually finish the project instead of it dying long before being finished like these projects usually do.

as i already said...i BELIEVE that he creates a great remake..

BTW: here are the alien sprites that you requested...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alien.png
Views:	331
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	20591  
Old 08 March 2009, 09:05   #56
Chuck-Rock-Jnr

Can people stop having a go because im not using C++/C

I dont care, i'm trying it my own way, thanks for the sprites Joe

Last edited by Chuck-Rock-Jnr; 08 March 2009 at 19:48.
Old 08 March 2009, 11:15   #57
KTC
Registered WHDLoad User

Are you lashing out at me now? If so, you have really missed the point of my post. I was actually entertaining the idea that what you are doing could actually be the right path to achieving a great result...

I would recommend you subdue that temper of yours and count to ten, because most of us are actually supporting you. Even Ironclaw wants to help you, and even though his approach may seem provocative to you, he is just trying to force you to handle this project realistically so you won't crash, not discourage you.

If we just wanted to shut you up og discourage you, we would be the ones posting "you are not welcome" private messages or just simply ignore you. If you look at this thread, everybody wants to see you succeed and make a great tribute to one of our favorite games.

And now... Where is that demo I was asking about?
Old 08 March 2009, 11:24   #58
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
And now... Where is that demo I was asking about?
Here you go (I hope Chuck-Rock-Jnr doesn't mind )
Attached Files
File Type: 7z MR BLOBBY TECH DEMO.7z (380.5 KB, 211 views)
Old 08 March 2009, 11:35   #59
KTC
Registered WHDLoad User

Thanks
That demo runs smoothly on my system, even though I explode them all at almost the same time. I know there is a long way to a real game, as stuff like collision detection, move patterns, levels and other sprites are missing, but this is a good start. Animation is good, so you can definetely do more than "hello world!"
Old 15 March 2009, 11:08   #60
Chuck-Rock-Jnr

Piccies my progress shots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ttrib.png
Views:	410
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	20692   Click image for larger version

Name:	alienprog.png
Views:	390