English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 March 2013, 08:55   #1
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Mostly complete TOSEC collection

at least as far as I can determine....

Link removed due to copyrighted materials (Workbench/kickstarts) within the 31GB archive, as it's against the EAB rules HERE, no matter how legitimate the site may seem DH

the full archive is in the area of 31GB (GigaByte) so if you have some space on your HD you want to fill up.... :P

No for real... I was just browsing around and found the word "tosec" so I clicked it and I got slightly surprised to find the good computer there.

Enjoy, those who can

Last edited by DH; 29 April 2013 at 22:53. Reason: Removed link to copyrighted materials
Old 20 March 2013, 09:18   #2
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Interesting.

It seems like you can get individual files by clicking "To browse the collection of software, click this link." and then (after a small delay to get the listing) click on the file(s) you want.
Old 20 March 2013, 09:34   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well... you can get a newer (actually the latest) 'per file' version on the file server or the full package on pleasuredome. Certainly good to have an alternative though
Old 25 April 2013, 17:24   #4
antonvaltaz

Wow, I've only just stumbled across this... and was surprised that it's not provoked more discussion.

I'm guessing most people here will know that the Internet Archive is not just another warez hosting site. It's a huge digital library, according to Wikipedia it is officially registered as a library in the State of California, and has an annual budget of $10 million with 200 employees.

And it's quite openly hosting a complete TOSEC archive of Amiga games - including SPS / IPF titles which it has apparently been given permission to do by the US Government, not to mention the equivalents for many other formats (for example, it includes ZX Spectrum games which the World of Spectrum site was specifically prohibited from hosting by the copyright owners).

Even if the TOSEC set isn't quite up to date, that still seems like a fairly big deal to me...
Old 25 April 2013, 17:36   #5
s2325
Zone Friend

some more
CDPD Public Domain Collection for CDTV (Volume 1-4) http://archive.org/search.php?query=...era+Systems%22

AMOS PD CD - The Official AMOS PD Library on CD (Weird Science) [Amiga-CD32-CDTV] (1994) http://archive.org/details/cdrom-amospdcd-1994

Last edited by prowler; 30 April 2013 at 00:27. Reason: Rewind.
Old 26 April 2013, 00:47   #6
copse

Maybe we should start a pool and take bets for when it gets taken down :-)
Old 26 April 2013, 02:29   #7
Leandro Jardim

Thanks everyone!

Since is open a space for talking about this hard to find rom set, anyone knows where can I find a complete NoIntro 2012/2013 rom set, easy to download, please, if its not to abuse very much...

I am looking for it.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 26 April 2013 at 02:37.
Old 26 April 2013, 10:03   #8
antonvaltaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by copse View Post
Maybe we should start a pool and take bets for when it gets taken down :-)
It does seem somewhat bizarre.

Apparently they have a DMCA exemption to allow them to archive obsolete software, even if that requires breaking copy protection.

But archiving it is one thing, distributing it is quite another, as it may well infringe on a company's intellectual property rights.

Say, for example, Capcom wanted games using their IP removed (I use them as they are known to be particularly fussy). The Internet Archive's FAQ suggests that the onus is on the copyright holder to list all content that they believe is infringing, but there are numerous games which are very well known to be Capcom IP, e.g. Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Bionic Commando, Street Fighter II etc. (they still sell games using these IPs, even if not the specific Amiga versions). I doubt the IA would get away with a "ooh, I didn't realise those were Capcom games" in court.

Even if the IA are right, they would end up with a big list of games that they'd have to remove from the Amiga TOSEC, some published by U.S. Gold, some on U.S. Gold's GO! label and some by Elite. And of course not just the Amiga, but the ST, Spectrum, C64 etc as well. And of course many other copyright holders might object too.

And to cap it all, they are planning on archiving every single TOSEC set from here on in. So each time they would have to go through this entire process again.

It just doesn't seem feasible to me - and yet, here they are almost two months on, and I can find no mentions of any complaints from any of the big copyright holders online. Hmmmm....

Last edited by prowler; 30 April 2013 at 00:30. Reason: Rewind.
Old 26 April 2013, 10:33   #9
gilgamesh
Linux snob

The Internet Archive also hosts books that one wouldn't suspect to be in the public domain. Not quite mainstream but still. More power to them.
Old 30 April 2013, 00:48   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

With one exception, all links to archive.org have been restored to this thread.

The link in the opening post is against the EAB rules, since Workbench disk and Kickstart ROM images are hosted within the archive referred to on that webpage.

Soon there will be an announcement which will clarify the EAB policy on providing links to webpages on sites which may elsewhere be hosting copyrighted material still for sale.
Old 30 April 2013, 00:59   #11
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
still opens up questions. Just because a company claims to have a license and sells stuff does not make it true - APC/TCP have sold stuff they have no copyright on/license for. If archive.org claim they can legally host the material, then surely it is down to copyright holders to contact them. I don't see how linking to them is an issue. Who actually owns the old kickstart/workbenchs is not truly known anyway is it ? AFAIK amiga inc, and hyperion claim to own it.. Cloanto have a license to sell it. who knows the validity after all the historical mess of it.

And what about the Zone?

It boils down to not the copyright, but who chases what right? So you want to avoid stuff where there are people who will go after your hosting provider etc etc rather than you having a legal or balanced stance on it no ?

let's stop all the pretending and say it how it is.

Last edited by BuZz; 30 April 2013 at 01:23.
Old 30 April 2013, 01:03   #12
lesta_smsc

Surprising how the US are a law on to their own! lol... I appreciate archiving to 'store' this media from lost is one thing, but then providing it readily to the public is a whole different ball game. Can a similar argument be used to say 'copy media from one dated magnetic disk to a fresh magnetic disk' and then pass this around the world so there are more archives of the disk ... lol
Old 01 May 2013, 01:24   #13
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Soon there will be an announcement which will clarify the EAB policy on providing links to webpages on sites which may elsewhere be hosting copyrighted material still for sale.
A Global Anouncement has been posted which will run for three days, thereby alerting most currently active users.

If anyone doesn't get to see it, I can provide it by PM. Just let me know.
Old 01 May 2013, 07:27   #14
TjLaZer

I think it's great that they are doing it. And at some point exceptions will have to be made. After all how long will a Cassette tape, floppy disk or VHS last? Not allowed to copy it? Copy protection? Abandonware? It's 2013 and the bottom line is, it's not the same as copying a Blueray DVD or Mp3. It's a 30 year old COMPUTER game. How archaic and who cares... That's what most are saying. But some uptight !@#$ !@#$#$s do care and will try to shut that site down. Good luck.
Old 01 May 2013, 16:13   #15
Cymru

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonvaltaz View Post
Wow, I've only just stumbled across this... and was surprised that it's not provoked more discussion.

I'm guessing most people here will know that the Internet Archive is not just another warez hosting site. It's a huge digital library, according to Wikipedia it is officially registered as a library in the State of California, and has an annual budget of $10 million with 200 employees.

And it's quite openly hosting a complete TOSEC archive of Amiga games - including SPS / IPF titles which it has apparently been given permission to do by the US Government, not to mention the equivalents for many other formats (for example, it includes ZX Spectrum games which the World of Spectrum site was specifically prohibited from hosting by the copyright owners).

Even if the TOSEC set isn't quite up to date, that still seems like a fairly big deal to me...
Since when does California represent the US government? Anything weird (2 actors elected governor), silly, or odd (French Fries are carcinogens) can only be found there.
Old 01 May 2013, 19:52   #16
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
They have a DMCA exception from the Copyright Office though, which is not limited to California. Anyway, if a copyright holder has an issue, it is up to them to contact archive.org - Although many companies left in the Amiga world think they are able to enforce copyright for stuff they don't own, it doesn't work like that.
Old 01 May 2013, 20:07   #17
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru View Post
Since when does California represent the US government? Anything weird (2 actors elected governor), silly, or odd (French Fries are carcinogens) can only be found there.
If you want a bit of fun, read this TVtropes entry (and the examples) :
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SoCalization
Old 03 May 2013, 15:21   #18
Cymru

Yep, that is Mass Media for you. An entire country is marginalized into Southern California. Johnny Carson used to say that America is slanted and that anything or any one that becomes loose just rolls down hill and ends up in California. What is really funny is that "true Americans" hate the common use of Spanish out west, despite most of the names of the town being Spanish -- Los Angeles, San Diego, Los Vegas...

History is written by the victors it seems.