Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 August 2007, 18:49   #41
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I would like to change my vote from 1 to 3

Thx m8
Vote changed but unfortunately I cannot move names across...
Old 27 August 2007, 18:51   #42
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
(Yay 2,000 posts!)
congratualtion only 70 post behind me
Old 27 August 2007, 18:52   #43
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
congratualtion only 70 post behind me
I'm catching you rather quickly...
Old 27 August 2007, 22:14   #44
frikilokooo

Perhaps the women prefer to take hold a joystick,I prefer to move the thumb that to move the wrist, it's faster.
Old 27 August 2007, 22:22   #45
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
IC have to use WinUAE scanlines, if "Gamepad" loose the poll.
I rather kill myself...... no really!
Old 27 August 2007, 23:07   #46
StarEye
Zone Friend

For games with non-analogue controls, or 8-ways direction controls: SEGA Six Button >>>>> Everything else.

For nostalgia value, I use sticks. I miss being comfortable with them, I remember when pads felt strange to me. Some of the sticks that were my favourite back then feels horrible to me now. That said, a clicky Competition Pro or a Zip Stick will always feel great.
Old 27 August 2007, 23:59   #47
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Play Sensible Soccer (Amiga, not Mega Drive) with a pad, then you know that you need a good stick. Games without a jump-button aren't enjoyable too with a pad
not true that you "need" a joystick at all. I used to love playing it with my Zipstick, but i have come to the conclusion now that SWOS is just as great on a CD32 Competiton Pro pad, and the thing doesnt break after a few hours play either like SWOS used to do to all my joysticks

Platformers which use "up" to jump (the way i prefer it, and the way most amiga platformers are) are also fine. Hell, i used my cd32 comp pro on my a500 when i last completed it, so it cant be that un-enjoyable!

SWOS is also great on a PS2 pad analogue stick, if you are emulation-inclined. Trust me on this

one thing where a pad is a TRUE neccessity (and not just a matter of personal preference as it is in these other cases) is with the Pinball games!

i think i'd find Pinball Fantasies pretty hard with a joystick... but joking aside, i am quite fussy about Pinball controls anyway, as i dont like using shoulder buttons for flippers either, (it has to be the fantasies/illusions/kirbys pinball land layout for me) and i find the keyboard annoying and clunky, meaning that i can never enjoy pinball dreams or slamtilt.
Old 28 August 2007, 00:11   #48
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Platformers which use "up" to jump (the way i prefer it, and the way most amiga platformers are) are also fine.
Of course, but i meant real machines, not WinUAE.

SWOS with a pad? No way!! My Competition Pro's survived all sensi sessions, My fingers hurt, after playing SWOS with a pad, the diagonals are very inaccurate too.

Quote:
i think i'd find Pinball Fantasies pretty hard with a joystick... but joking aside, i am quite fussy about Pinball controls anyway, as i dont like using shoulder buttons for flippers either, (it has to be the fantasies/illusions/kirbys pinball land layout for me) and i find the keyboard annoying and clunky, meaning that i can never enjoy pinball dreams or slamtilt.
Get a X-Arcade board:

Old 28 August 2007, 00:26   #49
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
SWOS with a pad? No way!! My Competition Pro's survived all sensi sessions, My fingers hurt, after playing SWOS with a pad, the diagonals are very inaccurate too.
I see you haven't tried the six button mega drive gamepad. The D-pad on that is the most comfortable and precise d-pad ever created, bar none. The CD32 pad is horribly bad compared to it. It's like day vs night.
Old 28 August 2007, 00:26   #50
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

eugh, no thanks retro-nerd. i was / have never been into arcade stylings, and would rather have a nice small little pad to pick up rather than that massive bastard!

i understand, but cant relate to the diagonal problem on a pad. ive never had such issues myself.

however, you cant suffer with the diagonals on the ps2 analogue stick, in fact you can do far more accurate and fast turns with it than you can do with a zipstick.... all it takes is a little flick of the thumb rather than moving your whole wrist... jobs a goodun!

i agree the cd32 original pad is horrible, but the comp pro one is imho, even better than the sega one...

i like pads, maybe its an acquired taste. nuff said.
Old 28 August 2007, 00:27   #51
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
I see you haven't tried the six button mega drive gamepad. The D-pad on that is the most comfortable and precise d-pad ever created, bar none. The CD32 pad is horribly bad compared to it. It's like day vs night.
I have the Sega "Mega Fire" pad, that's enough to compare. I meant not technically inaccurate, but the gameplay. The Mega Drive version is designed for a pad and plays fine, but not the Amiga version
Quote:
i like pads, maybe its an acquired taste. nuff said.
This has nothing to do with taste. But as mentioned before, some games works fine with a pad, but the most works better with a stick.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 28 August 2007 at 00:48.
Old 28 August 2007, 00:36   #52
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
This has nothing to do with taste. But as mentioned before, some games works fine with a pad, but the most works better with a stick.
it has -everything- to do with taste!!

you are more comfortable with SWOS on a joystick. i prefer a pad.

there's no way you can tell me you are right and i am wrong - since i dont suffer from discomfort or troubles with diagonals, neither do i struggle playing amiga platformers on a pad on a real amiga - ergo it is a matter of taste/preference/whatever you want to call it.
Old 28 August 2007, 00:44   #53
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
since i dont suffer from discomfort or troubles with diagonals, neither do i struggle playing amiga platformers on a pad on a real amiga - ergo it is a matter of taste/preference/whatever you want to call it.
I read this surprisingly only in forums. But every time i've asked my friends to use the joypad to play Amiga games with/against me they say: "NO!! Give me the stick!!".
Old 28 August 2007, 01:02   #54
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
I read this surprisingly only in forums. But every time i've asked my friends to use the joypad to play Amiga games with/against me they say: "NO!! Give me the stick!!".

the result of the poll still says that you and your friends are not the judge of us all!

as i said, just because i prefer one and you (and your mates) prefer the other, doesnt make either party wrong, its just what the individual feels comfortable with.

For example, all of my friends prefer a real PS2 pad to any real controller i offer them on a genuine amiga, whilst i still favour the cd32 comp pro in most scenarios. (SWOS, perhaps now i warm to PS2 analogue myself, but since that has to be done on emualtion, isnt generally my preference unless i am playing an online game)

to make the assumption that "i have this opinion, therefore I must be right, anyone who likes something else is wrong" is something i'll leave for Ironclaw, as its not my style. Each to their own i say, just dont tell me i should think something is wrong/bad just becasue you dont like it.... i wouldnt judge you for prefering something different, and it would be nice to have the same response in return!
Old 28 August 2007, 01:08   #55
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

This is no black & white poll, four voting options are enough and i voted not for "Joystick". And NOO!! You and me are no IC clones.
Old 28 August 2007, 01:18   #56
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
This is no black & white poll, four voting options are enough and i voted not for "Joystick". And NOO!! You and me are no IC clones.

ironically, if you level out the "middle" options to just pad vs stick, the poll is pretty 50-50 anyway atm - which i would kind of expect tbh.

i realised, i did lie before - i suffer discomfort when using the original cd32 pad, becasue its ****ing rubbish and puts dents in your thumbs!!

only one original cd32 pad i have owned (out of about 5 or 6) has ever come with the little "plastic sticker" to cover it up and remove the annoying lumps... and even on that the thing fell off!
Old 28 August 2007, 01:20   #57
NfernalNfluence

gamepad that's for sure. there are some very tricky input combinations that demand a gamepad. it's already tricky due to amiga compensating for limitations brought on by "the single firing button" i believe this makes it near to impossible if not entirely impossible to accomplish certain manuevers with a flightstick or any stick for that matter IMO
Old 28 August 2007, 01:30   #58
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NfernalNfluence View Post
gamepad that's for sure. there are some very tricky input combinations that demand a gamepad. it's already tricky due to amiga compensating for limitations brought on by "the single firing button" i believe this makes it near to impossible if not entirely impossible to accomplish certain manuevers with a flightstick or any stick for that matter IMO
Flightstick mmh? I see, this discussion is WinUAE only. I know, that the most emu fans uses a joypad (me too!!).

A good Amiga stick is precise enough for all non-mouse games, that's for sure. This flight sticks & other PC sticks always sucks for amiga games, useless but i never tried them with Falcon F-16 i.e on WinUAE.
Old 28 August 2007, 03:03   #59
oneshotdead

I voted for joystick since it was what we used to play Amiga games. It is the authentic input for Amiga games, along with mouse.

Gamepads/joypads/control pads (whatever you want to call them) were a console thing, not an Amiga thing.

Perhaps in the Amigas twilight years developers devised games utilising pads, when they attempted to emulate console platformers and beat 'em ups, but I stopped playing Amiga before that time.

I remember using a stick for Speedball 2, Xenon 2, Rainbow Islands and Chaos Engine, and to use a pad for those games would be the height of absurdity, IMNSHO.
Old 28 August 2007, 09:30   #60
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshotdead View Post
Gamepads/joypads/control pads (whatever you want to call them) were a console thing, not an Amiga thing.
what's a cd32 then? is it not an Amiga Console?