English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 19 March 2018, 09:33   #661
plutonick

Finished the download and I did check some games.
I am quite surprised but some games run better from ADF as opposed to their WHDLoad version, but that may be due to bad autoconfiguration from FS-Uae and openretro (yes, I use FS-uae for WHDload because it's easier).

For instance Final Battle is faster, has sound and I am also able to load the saves. In FS-UAE WHDload, the game is autoconfigured for A600 for some reason and as a result it is sluggish and has no sound. Also, I have no clue where the save file is located so I can't load it, but that is a WHDload quirk I guess).

Next step will be to remove the full resolution (alt-tabbing makes my monitor go bonkers and mess up desktop resolution).

DamienD, do you accept help from members in order to increase the number of supported games in your config collection? I mean can we sent you zips with adfs, configs, screenshots etc the way yours are set up, for games that are not already included?
Old 19 March 2018, 11:18   #662
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonick View Post
DamienD, do you accept help from members in order to increase the number of supported games in your config collection? I mean can we sent you zips with adfs, configs, screenshots etc the way yours are set up, for games that are not already included?
I definitely take suggestions on games to add into the collection, see this thread: Request for any gems

As for taking pre-configured / set up stuff from others; no...

Reason being is that everything in my collection has gone through a similar, rigorous process:
  • Games researched to find the best / hopefully 100% working files.
  • Created / tweaked the configuration files.
  • Tested the games as much as possible.
This way with new additions only coming from me, I know exactly what files / configurations have been used, any adjustments made etc. and can almost gurantee that they work

Finally, I also keep detailed .TXT files of different settings / options used for each game; will post later tonight so you can see what I mean:

...but saying all of the above; obviously people are free to add anything into *their* copy of my project themselves.

Last edited by DamienD; 19 March 2018 at 19:45.
Old 19 March 2018, 13:53   #663
plutonick

Got it! See you in the Request thread very soon then!
Old 19 March 2018, 16:35   #664
AmigaBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
This isn't necessary.
It was for me. I checked all combinations of both options and they'd never show until I enabled the resizable GUI. Latest WinUAE.

No big deal. It works for me, so I'm happy
Old 19 March 2018, 17:10   #665
DamienD
Banned

Ok, I know you don't like using the registry...

...but what you should have done though, is apply the registry settings, start WinUAE and then tick "Portable mode" so you have all the required settings that you're meant to with my collection.

Besides stuff like paths / enabling boxart, the GUI window postition / size are set perfectly.

I'll attach a clean .INI file from the registry settings for you when home tonight
Old 19 March 2018, 17:44   #666
AmigaBoy

Quote:
I'll attach a clean .INI file from the registry settings for you when home tonight
No need my man. All is working well here
Old 19 March 2018, 17:52   #667
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaBoy View Post
No need my man. All is working well here
Sure, it will be working but not with all settings, windows position / sizes, possbily other stuff as intended

I'll do this tonight anyway once home from work so you can try and see the difference
Old 19 March 2018, 17:54   #668
AmigaBoy

Quote:
Sure, it will be working but not with all settings, windows position / sizes as intended

I'll do this tonight anyway once home from work so you can try and see the difference
OK
Old 19 March 2018, 19:37   #669
DamienD
Banned

Here you go AmigaBoy

...compare that with what you have

Last edited by DamienD; 11 December 2019 at 13:10.
Old 19 March 2018, 19:56   #670
AmigaBoy

Quote:
Here you go AmigaBoy

...compare that with what you have
They're virtually the same The only differences are window positions, some debugger things (in my config) and the last loaded config.

I was indeed wrong about the resizeable GUI thing. Turns out when you turn it on/off, the GUI disappears and reappears, causing the screenshot window to disappear. I thought that meant I needed that option on. Nope. I guess that's a WinUAE bug.

So yeah, just the Cache Boxart thing is needed. My original post has been updated
Old 19 March 2018, 22:55   #671
plutonick

ConfigurationCache=0

Was meaning to ask, what does this do exactly?
Old 19 March 2018, 23:11   #672
AmigaBoy

Quote:
ConfigurationCache=0

If the source is anything to go by... nothing? Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

https://github.com/tonioni/WinUAE/se...ioncache&type=

It gets set but never seems to be used.

Toni?
Old 19 March 2018, 23:39   #673
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
ConfigurationCache=0

Quote:
If the source is anything to go by... nothing? Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

https://github.com/tonioni/WinUAE/se...ioncache&type=

It gets set but never seems to be used.

Toni?
I can tell you what that means; and why I turn it off i.e. hence "0"

Basically, with this option turned on i.e. "1", if you save over one of your existing configuration files it will become "configuration.cache".

Like a backup in a way, in case you made a mistake.
Old 20 March 2018, 00:12   #674
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] I was indeed wrong about the resizeable GUI thing. Turns out when you turn it on/off, the GUI disappears and reappears, causing the screenshot window to disappear. I thought that meant I needed that option on. Nope. I guess that's a WinUAE bug.[...]
It's funny, isn't it ?
First time I resized the windows to fit the 1024x600 screen, I thought that the computer was dying... . I don't know if this needs to be called a "bug" but a "refresh" issue for sure .
Old 20 March 2018, 00:26   #675
plutonick

Damien I have another question. Sorry for flooding the forums but I am doing my best to keep up learning how everything works within WINUae. It's a new experience from me.

1. I read that you need to set a graphics card resolution, but somehow my radeon will not let me do this. What are my options? I dont mind black bars as long as I don't lose any parts of the screen. I tried to follow some of your suggestions. Does this look ok?

http://prntscr.com/itj88r
http://prntscr.com/itj8zq

I tried it with IT CAME FROM THE DESERT but text seemed scaled/filtered weird. The screen aspect ration seemed ok though.

2. On another note, IT CAME FROM THE DESERT was slow to load (even with floppy speed 800%) and sluggish when I played a little. Is this normal, or do I need to check the settings again (I may have messed something up)

-------

Thanks a lot for all your efforts, making this collection and answering questions. Setting WINUAE up is as much fun for me as actually playing games again that I used to play 25 years ago. Or as was the case more often than not, playing the games that I always wanted to get 25 years ago but couldn't! (Last couple of days I am sleeping 5 hours a day instead of my usual 8, because of this collection. Wife is furious!
Old 20 March 2018, 08:18   #676
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I can tell you what that means; and why I turn it off i.e. hence "0"

Basically, with this option turned on i.e. "1", if you save over one of your existing configuration files it will become "configuration.cache".

Like a backup in a way, in case you made a mistake.
configuration.cache is cache file of all scanned and found config files. It decreases loading time of config file list greatly. Don't disable it, especially if you have hundreds of config files.

configuration.backup is backup file of previously saved config.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 20 March 2018 at 09:38. Reason: decreases loading time
Old 20 March 2018, 09:22   #677
DamienD
Banned

Ooops, got them the wrong way around

Thanks for the correct information Toni.
Old 20 March 2018, 10:46   #678
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Damien I have another question. Sorry for flooding the forums but I am doing my best to keep up learning how everything works within WINUae. It's a new experience from me.

1. I read that you need to set a graphics card resolution, but somehow my radeon will not let me do this. What are my options? I dont mind black bars as long as I don't lose any parts of the screen. I tried to follow some of your suggestions. Does this look ok?

http://prntscr.com/itj88r
http://prntscr.com/itj8zq
It depends, it seems on Windows 10 that you don't need to set a custom resolution of 720x576.

On Windows 7 however...

Quote:
I tried it with IT CAME FROM THE DESERT but text seemed scaled/filtered weird. The screen aspect ration seemed ok though.
Screenshot please?

It should look like this:

Quote:
2. On another note, IT CAME FROM THE DESERT was slow to load (even with floppy speed 800%) and sluggish when I played a little. Is this normal, or do I need to check the settings again (I may have messed something up)
Shouldn't be slow to load if you've set 800%... still takes time though.

Also, regarding "sluggish". I haven't seen this; watch a YouTube video to compare with how things are for you.

Quote:
Thanks a lot for all your efforts, making this collection and answering questions. Setting WINUAE up is as much fun for me as actually playing games again that I used to play 25 years ago. Or as was the case more often than not, playing the games that I always wanted to get 25 years ago but couldn't!
No problem, glad you're enjoying this

Quote:
(Last couple of days I am sleeping 5 hours a day instead of my usual 8, because of this collection. Wife is furious!
ROFL
Old 21 March 2018, 10:18   #679
RCK
Administrator

I just test the DamienD pack and it's awesome !
DamienD, I really feel your 10 years work, you succed to compil the Amiga collection as we love it, with screenshot , config, and game image with intro!
It's really cool
Old 21 March 2018, 11:32   #680
DamienD
Banned

Thank you kindly for your feedback RCK