English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 14 January 2020, 22:04   #21
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
more easy should be port every Amiga OS in x86-64.
Amazing!!! How far you are with this project?

Though I wouldn't be interested. There is no point to run Amiga OS in x86 hardware, because there is much better operating systems available for them. And considering Aros situation, only option would be virtual box, because supported hardware would be 10 years old and NOT available anymore.
Old 16 January 2020, 14:04   #22
number6

@thread

Livestream interview with Trevor Dickinson from A-EON

Old 17 January 2020, 19:50   #23
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Took a punt to see if I'm in the first 100

Been checking the link occasionally and just saw it was working now.
Old 17 January 2020, 20:05   #24
MartinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Took a punt to see if I'm in the first 100.
I would but I don’t gamble. I’m guessing there’s nothing to indicate how many of the first 100 are left? If there is then I might.
Old 17 January 2020, 20:10   #25
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
I would but I don’t gamble. I’m guessing there’s nothing to indicate how many of the first 100 are left? If there is then I might.
Nope I didn't see anything

ps. they might not even sell 100 lol
Old 21 January 2020, 12:01   #26
johnnybarker

Yeah, I took the gamble too. It won't be the worst gamble I ever took- thinking that Scotland could win the world cup in 1998 takes some beating.

I was weighing up the vampire V4 vs the a1222 and decided to go with a-eon. I already have a vampire V2 so I couldn't really justify replacing it quite yet. I also have to admit that as a user I really like OS 4.1 (I can't comment what it is like as a developer). For me it has been remarkably stable and just works out of the box with no headaches.

I am not really concerned about it being 10 year old hardware. I am not expecting it to perform miracles and I'm aware it is a hobby computer. If it can do ANY modernish stuff then I will be happy enough. That said, I have much older computers in my house which are actually surprisingly capable at performing what most people expect a computer to do. I have a 15 year old G5 powermac which is quite happy with playing youtube videos and editing 15mp RAW photos with photoshop CS4. I also have an 8th gen i7 and for most day to day tasks the difference is definitely not as noticeable as it should be. The vast majority of people don't actually need or utilise the power in modern computers and it is this reason that many people are content with a smart phone or tablet rather the massive desktop behemoth roaring away in the corner.

It will be interesting to see if the a1222 fills a niche.
Old 21 January 2020, 13:40   #27
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybarker View Post
I also have to admit that as a user I really like OS 4.1 (I can't comment what it is like as a developer). For me it has been remarkably stable and just works out of the box with no headaches.
Those who have used OS3.5/9 are usually very pleased.

Quote:
I am not really concerned about it being 10 year old hardware. I am not expecting it to perform miracles and I'm aware it is a hobby computer. If it can do ANY modernish stuff then I will be happy enough. That said, I have much older computers in my house which are actually surprisingly capable at performing what most people expect a computer to do. I have a 15 year old G5 powermac which is quite happy with playing youtube videos and editing 15mp RAW photos with photoshop CS4. I also have an 8th gen i7 and for most day to day tasks the difference is definitely not as noticeable as it should be. The vast majority of people don't actually need or utilise the power in modern computers and it is this reason that many people are content with a smart phone or tablet rather the massive desktop behemoth roaring away in the corner.

It will be interesting to see if the a1222 fills a niche.
OS4 is hobby OS and I don't wait it to became mainstream ever. I'm just happy anything new I get.
Old 21 January 2020, 23:44   #28
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

I'm a bit confused by this whole thing tbh, the website has gone back to a link to Amigakit front page, I've had an email to confirm my order but no other information. No registration code or anything or maybe that will be in the box? Have I just spent 100 quid on a mouse and a few CDRs?
Old 22 January 2020, 00:05   #29
MartinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Have I just spent 100 quid on a mouse and a few CDRs?
Well, it's kind of how I read it, yeah. Unless you're one of the lucky 100 winners which there doesn't at this point seem to be any way to know. Maybe you find out when your stuff turns up? Honestly, as confused as you at this point.
Old 22 January 2020, 00:31   #30
amigakit.com

There is no "luck" - anyone who orders the AAA bundle will be guaranteed an option to buy the A1222 Plus Early Adopter board. If we have to make a few more boards to ensure every AAA bundle customer has opportunity, then so be it. We will be manufacturing ten percent more boards anyway to cover emergency stock for warranty issues etc.

From www.a1222plus.com:
Quote:
A serial key code will be provided with every AAA package
The registration codes will be in the AAA boxes when they are sent out- they will also be recorded in the order history on the AmigaKit website as soon as the order is processed.

I hope this helps answer your queries.
Old 22 January 2020, 00:49   #31
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Cheers, that does help, the page is working again now. I think my phone had stored a cached version.

Looking forward to receiving the AAA pack and hopefully getting a deal on the board. I'd considered getting another uA1 or Sam440 as I still have my registered software but no NG setup but seeing the A1222 announced I'm thinking this is a much better option.

I see the board has HDMI, is it capable of Hardware 3D rendering?
Old 22 January 2020, 01:14   #32
amigakit.com

@fitzsteve

Board does not have HDMI, it has DVI only. We strongly recommend adding a Radeon RX card to it to get 3D support.
Old 22 January 2020, 02:09   #33
MartinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
If we have to make a few more boards to ensure every AAA bundle customer has opportunity, then so be it.

I hope this helps answer your queries.
THIS does, yes!!

My luck comment was referring to the fact it seemed there were only so many boards available and there did not appear to be an indication if you were going to be within the first nnn to get the opportunity to get one. But if you can make the amount you need to satisfy that pre-order then that definltely explains it!

I will be at SWAG at the weekend, I will come and ask some questions then

PS: Radeon RX580 OK?
Old 22 January 2020, 08:21   #34
johnnybarker

That us really good news. Thanks for the confirmation Amigakit!
Old 22 January 2020, 19:08   #35
amigakit.com

AAA Bundle is now sold out. Thank you to all who pre-ordered. Packages will be going out in February with registration serial numbers being recorded in the Amiga Kit Order History pages (login required).
Old 22 January 2020, 19:26   #36
MartinW

That simplifies that decision then
Old 22 January 2020, 20:07   #37
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Old 22 January 2020, 22:27   #38
pgovotsos

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
@fitzsteve

Board does not have HDMI, it has DVI only. We strongly recommend adding a Radeon RX card to it to get 3D support.
In Trevor's interview he said that the RX driver is still limited compared to the support for R9 and similar. He recommended the older cards for full functionality.

Is this true? Can you use an R9 series card with the 1222?

Also, just to confirm, the early adopter will be for just the motherboard, no RAM, case, or anything else?
Old 22 January 2020, 23:35   #39
amigakit.com

No, I would recommend Radeon RX - it is the best option going forward.

We are working on the Enhancer Software v2 release currently and it will be best suited to Radeon RX hardware (Polaris chipsets).
Old 23 January 2020, 13:52   #40
ianoakley

I must admit the graphics option just go over my head but I would use a graphics card as opposed to the onboard graphics - I cannot justify state of the art graphics. I’ve got a Radeon R7 240 in a PC and that is more than adequate for that platform, presumably a similar card would be fine with the Tabor.