English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 August 2015, 20:25   #81
trixster
Guru Meditating

It's early days but 060 seems more compatible than 040 for whdload. For instance SWOS would slow to a crawl with 040 but it's fine with 060. Epic would not run on 040, it does on 060.
Old 09 August 2015, 20:32   #82
trixster
Guru Meditating

040 is more than enough for elite 2 and f1gp, by a long way.
Old 14 August 2015, 23:55   #83
Blaster

Hello, I'm new here and not sure whether to start a new thread as my question falls under the title Indivision AGA MK2cr issues?

The issue I have is that I can play with configurations and get usable screens for Workbench on the CF and by booting games by disk, but in both cases the colours/palette are incorrect... For example a shaded green gradient will have purple included (when it shouldn't). Changing configs and settings doesn’t seem to affect the colour. I have searched for a thread on this but can't see anyone experiencing the issue. I received the Indivision Aga 1200 MK2cr from Amigakit only one week ago, I'm using DVI to DVI, tried two different DVI cables and two different monitors - same result. I have installed the config tool and used different configs, but not installed any monitor drivers yet... Before installing the Indivision colours were perfect/what you would expect. I'm wondering whether I have a faulty unit or perhaps I need to clean it, if the latter I was about to take the Indivision off the motherboard, but it's so tight I fear of breaking it... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

*I have just attached a crude copy/paste example of the issue I'm experiencing. The clean/correct looking images are what I experienced before installing the Indivision Aga MK2cr.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	975312468.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	45060  

Last edited by Blaster; 15 August 2015 at 11:59. Reason: To add specific model of hardware - MK2cr / Added image example

Old 15 August 2015, 00:56   #84
TenLeftFingers

Welcome to EAB! I'm pretty new to this myself Blaster, but my Indivision AGA has pretty bad ghosting on the VGA output. I don't think the quality is as good as it should be with these devices so it wouldn't surprise me if the unit has an issue.

DVI was okay for me which is the only reason I didn't return it. Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in.
Old 15 August 2015, 02:13   #85
Amicol

To stop the ghosting you need to turn off DVI for that screen mode.
Just use the Indivision tool and select VGA where it says Output.

I had the same issue. Now the screen is clear as a bell
Old 15 August 2015, 02:53   #86
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

It's curious that I haven't seen any difference with that. Maybe it depends on the Lisa chip?
Old 15 August 2015, 12:05   #87
Blaster

Hi TenLeftFingers, thanks a lot. I have heard about the ghosting issues but haven't experienced them. I'm thinking about getting a 99p DVI to VGA adapter, just to see if I get the opposite reaction to my current issue heh (correct colours)!

I have just attached an image to my original post (just a few posts ago) so that you can see what I'm experiencing.

Is there a special way of lifting the Indivision off the 1200 motherboard, I would like to do this to give it a clean perhaps, but considering the amount of pressure it took to install it pressing down, I fear I'd break it, taking it off..

Old 15 August 2015, 17:44   #88
Blaster

Hello, I have now tried the HighGFX drivers which actually put workbench to the four corners of the monitor nicely, but this introduced artefacts and I still had the incorrect colours. I have also removed the Indivision and cleaned it, replaced - no difference.

I think I'll send it back for a replacement, I think it maybe faulty since colour is the issue, not screen resolution or lines etc...

I actually have an old Scan Magic Scan Doubler VGA from 97-99' ish. That was designed for the old SVGA monitors and this actually works on my TFT, correct colours, but faint vertical lines unfortunately make it unattractive. I'm not aware of any ways around this or software solutions? Let me know if there is, maybe this is the better option.

Please view file for my current issue. If you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	975312468.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	45071  

Old 17 August 2015, 12:37   #89
TenLeftFingers

@Amicol, thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and while it is better some times, other times it's the same as ever. So it seems to be an intermittent problem. I'm not sure if turning off the DVI output made a difference but I think the problem was more constant before so thank you for that!

@trixster, I've made a lot of progress by studying your settings - thank you very much.
After spending about 6 hours yesterday getting the width right for Lotus 2 and Turrican, I began trying to increase the vertical size. To my horror, changing the vertical offset also affects the effective horizontal offset.

Also, during my six hour stint, it seems that some values alter the effect of others and are connected in invisible ways. This tool has me completely boggled. Sometimes increasing by a small amount has a large affect and increasing a value by a large amount has a small or reverse affect.

Does anyone know what front and back porch do? Also, if vertical offset also affects the horizontal offset - how does anyone get their picture right?
Old 06 September 2015, 21:45   #90
Smakar
Amiga Fan in Phoenix

Hello to all,

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked and answered, but I have a Indivision AGA MK2cr which is loose when placed on the Lisa chip. I can get is to "click" when fitting, but it seems to come loose, sometimes later but mostly sooner.

Does anyone have advice on how to obtain a secure fit?

Thank you in advance,
Stevan
Old 06 September 2015, 22:15   #91
TenLeftFingers

Before I share my experience, I want to say that you need to be really careful not to put too much pressure on the board when doing this. There may be another reason its coming loose.

Having said that, besides whats already been posted here, my board accepted a fair bit of pressure and I notice two clicks sometimes. I really gave it a good go. Look at Dan Woods video on youtube. He explains this much better than the piece of paper that comes with it.

Sent from Ubuntu Touch using the Forum Browser app
Old 06 September 2015, 22:41   #92
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smakar View Post
Does anyone have advice on how to obtain a secure fit?
When I got the ACA620 for my A600, I had the same issue. Cleaning the IC pins thoroughly using a toothbrush and isopropanol helped significantly in this regard. It now comes on with a solid push and will not let go easily again, when before it eased off by itself. Cleaning would also ensure a better electrical connection.
Old 09 October 2015, 08:27   #93
maxx11111

Hi I'm trying to use retrofan's superplus config, I load his config fine and select superplus in prefs and all looks good until I do anything like move icons,open windows the screen flickers as I'd it keep changing between 800/600 and 800/300.
I have noticed if i change my TV to 4x3 mode the screen is off centre with a few millimetres of the left hand showing on the right, in 16x9 in fits perfectly.
I have tried looking in the indivision pref to see if I can adjust anything but superplus isn't listed.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 09 October 2015, 21:32   #94
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

If you have flickering you can not fix that with software. You can find that flickering with SuperPlus or mostly with HighGFX. It can be this fixable problem in your board:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...2&postcount=26

Or maybe I don't understand what flickering you've got.
Old 10 October 2015, 00:54   #95
maxx11111

it flickers from being full screen to being bottom half black and everthing squished to top half of screen

Old 10 October 2015, 01:14   #96
Smakar
Amiga Fan in Phoenix

I wanted to thank those who offered suggestions, and apologize for not replying sooner. Right after I had posted my question, both my A1200 AND A500 died on me (nothing to do with the MK2cr)- needless to say, I got depressed and avoided anything to do with Amigas for a while. Then this past weekend, I got BOTH machines working (each had an add-on card die, one right after the other) - I am one HAPPY person now.
Anyway, thanks again for the tips - it is greatly appreciated.
Old 20 October 2015, 08:18   #97
maxx11111

Thanks retrofan looking at your link I think you may be right, I'll just stick to high res laced as I'm no good at soldering.
I've tried a few different resolutions in the indivision app and the only one's that work with my TV are 800x600 and 640x480 I've tried and couple custom config like retrofan's and get no display, has anyone got any advice on working out the right frequencies for my tv I'd like to get as close to my screenmode as possible.
Thanks

Old 21 October 2015, 15:46   #98
spudisgood

Edit: For full screen with minimal fuss get the HighGFX driver installed from Aminet

It's easy as pie once this is done - otherwise you will have hours of frustration with PAL screenmodes and overscan.

Kind regards,
Spud.

Last edited by spudisgood; 22 October 2015 at 12:56.
Old 22 October 2015, 13:45   #99
maxx11111

Highgfx gives the same problem as superplus but thanks anyway

Old 25 October 2015, 19:51   #100
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quick update on this. I've done a few tweaks and have managed to eliminate the smearing I mention below. So 50hz is displaying perfectly, no stutter, no v sync smear or tearing.

Video here:

[ Show youtube player ]

and a video that's not been filmed with a dreadful iPhone here:

[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
As promised here are a bunch of photos showing how i have things setup.

For workbench Im using HighGfx 1024x768 at 60hz. The higfx picture shows this and the Screen picture shows this selected in ScreenMode Preferences.

The PAL picture shows Indivision Prefs and the associated VGA Modes screens. It gives fullscreen PAL for games at 50hz. Notice the 72 and 14 offsets to get these centred correctly. These options directly affect games which run outside of workbench. They will also affect PAL games in workbench but you can tackle the fact that they will be high and left by editing you Overscan settings in Prefs. Overscan only seems to affect PAL and NTSC games that run through workbench.

Similarly NTSC shows the settings for 320x200 games, at 60hz.

The Doom screenshot shows proof that 320x256 games can be run perfectly fullscreen. Note the fps from a 104 MIPS, 78mhz 060!

The Pinball Dreams screenshot shows that 50hz works for PAL games, fullscreen too. I get some vsync smear every 3.5 seconds so it's still not 100% perfect but for me it's good enough.

Not all PAL games use the same screen sizes! The Settlers for example activates the PAL mode but is bigger than 320x256 (doubled by Indivision to 640x512), so the sides of the picture are off the screen. The way round this is to change to a slightly bigger PAL resolution (like 768x576) in Indivision Prefs before playing games like The Settlers.

Last edited by trixster; 25 October 2015 at 21:23. Reason: 50hz video added