English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 13 August 2015, 15:26   #1
liveevil
Custom User Title

WinUAE on cheap Windows Tablet ?

Hi, I just wondered how well WinUAE would actually run on a cheap Windows 8.1 tablet (Intel Atom Z3735G 1.3GHz-1.8GHz) ? Will a basic A1200 profile (No Cycle Exact) with ClassicWB (mainly games) work well without sound crackle ? I read in another post that a couple of people have tried WinUAE on a similar tablet but they didn't really say what it could run. I hope someone can let me know. Thanks.
Old 13 August 2015, 15:32   #2
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Not had first hand experience with tablets but I would have thought that if it can run Win8 it can manage WinUAE.
Old 13 August 2015, 16:03   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Non-cycle exact mode probably should work fine. I have only tested A500 games and many of them worked nicely even in cycle-exact. (Linx 7 tablet)
Old 13 August 2015, 16:20   #4
liveevil
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Non-cycle exact mode probably should work fine. I have only tested A500 games and many of them worked nicely even in cycle-exact. (Linx 7 tablet)
The Linx 7 was the tablet I was thinking of getting. There is also another one from Argos with the Atom Z3735F and 2GB of Ram (instead of 1GB on the Linx 7/8) for almost the same price. If anyone on here has a Tablet with the same processor and has tried 68020 A1200 (No Cycle Exact) with ClassicWB, let me know.
Old 13 August 2015, 17:06   #5
Amiga1992

It works great but I had issues with Windows 10 and supposedly shitty video drivers.

[edit] Toni figured out how to fix it on my system: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=79367

I am trying Brian the Lion AGA with non-cycle-exact emulation and it runs pretty great. It's playable and not annoying at all and sound is fine, not choppy! There are some slowdown points like on the bonus sections, but other than that, I am impressed.

Last edited by Amiga1992; 13 August 2015 at 20:00.
Old 13 August 2015, 20:49   #6
Sandro
Banned

a tablet with 1.8ghz cpu should be enough to use winuae with all features and maybe enabling some screen filters
I have a lenovo thinkpad tablet 8 and winuae works fine there,ie AGA games can run vsync enabled,super 2xsai filter enabled etc
it have a 2.4ghz 4 cores atom cpu

however I tested winuae in the tablet in a fast way only to check how works, I use my gamer desktop for emulators, in my opinion using a tablet to play retro games is shameless
Old 13 August 2015, 21:12   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
however I tested winuae in the tablet in a fast way only to check how works, I use my gamer desktop for emulators, in my opinion using a tablet to play retro games is shameless
No it isn't, you can make it work out and it's great on the go.
As I am testing out here :

https://vine.co/v/edFlt0dqXm5
Old 13 August 2015, 21:16   #8
liveevil
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
a tablet with 1.8ghz cpu should be enough to use winuae with all features and maybe enabling some screen filters
I have a lenovo thinkpad tablet 8 and winuae works fine there,ie AGA games can run vsync enabled,super 2xsai filter enabled etc
it have a 2.4ghz 4 cores atom cpu

The Lenovo is not really considered "cheap". It's nearly £200 and more powerful. A Linx 7 is £50 Refurbished or £70 new.
Old 13 August 2015, 22:00   #9
liveevil
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I am trying Brian the Lion AGA with non-cycle-exact emulation and it runs pretty great. It's playable and not annoying at all and sound is fine, not choppy! There are some slowdown points like on the bonus sections, but other than that, I am impressed.
Is Brian the Lion AGA quite a demanding game (in terms of the effects used) ? What specs are your tablet ? Is it the same processor and speed that I listed in the first post ?

Toni, do you know a few demanding games on standard A500/A1200 that can stress WinUAE on slow systems/tablets that maybe Akira could test the performance ?
Old 13 August 2015, 22:32   #10
Amiga1992

I have this one:
http://www.insigniaproducts.com/prod...NS-15MS08.html

Atom Z3735F and system reports it as 1.33Ghz but I am sure that's the non throttled speed and it's going to 1.8Ghz when pushed. All these Atom machines have basically pretty much the same processor.

Brian the Lion has a bunch of demanding effects, yeah, and it was working OK.

I also tried Mr. Nutz and Turrican II which, although non-AGA, usually trigger slowdown problems on crappy setups.
Old 13 August 2015, 23:28   #11
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
The Lenovo is not really considered "cheap". It's nearly £200 and more powerful. A Linx 7 is £50 Refurbished or £70 new.
winuae will work fine in the linz 7, I don't know if you could enable a screen filter in such tablet because those addons consume lot of cpu time,
but if you like or tolerate pixelated games everything will be ok
also you can use the null filter which does not use so cpu time, but then games looks blurry to my taste
Old 13 August 2015, 23:34   #12
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
I have this one:
http://www.insigniaproducts.com/prod...NS-15MS08.html

Atom Z3735F and system reports it as 1.33Ghz but I am sure that's the non throttled speed and it's going to 1.8Ghz when pushed. All these Atom machines have basically pretty much the same processor.

Brian the Lion has a bunch of demanding effects, yeah, and it was working OK.

I also tried Mr. Nutz and Turrican II which, although non-AGA, usually trigger slowdown problems on crappy setups.
excepting 3d games,the most demanding AGA games are Aladdin and putty squad, if you can run those at 50 fps without slowdowns or sound issues, then every amiga game will work ok
Old 14 August 2015, 00:12   #13
Amiga1992

Yeah, Aladdin seems to be running like poop. I get like 37FPS and sound cracking. The game only runs with Cycle Exact on, that seems to be the problem.

Why is this game so intense? Putty Squad has the same engine, right? What about Lion King?

Now Brian the Lion was crashing and it started running with cycle-exact, which brings back the poop performance. So I guess as long as you don't use cycle-exact emulation, it should all run pretty well.
Old 14 August 2015, 04:46   #14
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, Aladdin seems to be running like poop. I get like 37FPS and sound cracking. The game only runs with Cycle Exact on, that seems to be the problem.

Why is this game so intense? Putty Squad has the same engine, right? What about Lion King?

Now Brian the Lion was crashing and it started running with cycle-exact, which brings back the poop performance. So I guess as long as you don't use cycle-exact emulation, it should all run pretty well.
yes Aladdin and putty squad seem uses idem Aga engine developed by John twiddy
to gain speed on the tablet you can try winuae 2.01 which is a great and stable release and is lot faster than today winuae versions