English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 27 April 2012, 20:43   #1
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Bit twiddling hacks.

Here's a nice site with a lot of bit wise tricks. May be useful: http://graphics.stanford.edu/~seander/bithacks.html
Old 28 April 2012, 03:06   #2
Photon

Copied to C forum also. It's a bit ironic to find a C coder publishing code with comparison operators stating it is code without branches Otherwise, it looks 'keen' and quite like interesting coffee time reading on a rainy afternoon.
Old 28 April 2012, 06:10   #3
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

I can't help but feeling that most of those operations on a 68k would be incredibly slow using those techniques!

Especially the one where you can reverse the bits in a byte using 2 multiply operations. Surely a lookup into a 256 byte table of the reversed bytes would be a hell of a lot faster!
Old 28 April 2012, 15:52   #4
Photon

It is. Most of the things there are terribly obfuscated to anyone who knows how a CPU works. They seem workarounds for someone who is trying to make C work like the CPU works.

The XOR swap is a classic of course, I've only had use for it a couple times though. Its characteristic is that it saves 1 "register" (whether it's a word in memory, temp var, pointer or an actual register). This means it can be used for bidirectional traversal of linked lists as in raytracing, a sorted list of objects, or more generally overload values in a memory cell relative to a known (together with a normal value) saving one cell.

The text for the XOR swap seems confused, says faster on some machines instead of faster with some compiler options set. Maybe a typo, but take comments with a grain of salt.
Old 28 April 2012, 23:11   #5
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Detecting an even power of 2 seemed to be the only useful one I could see. But that one alone is quite useful.
Old 28 April 2012, 23:54   #6
Photon

Highest bit of positive integer has some use in math libraries. I searched out the fastest known one for ARM when I was coding on the GP2X at one point, and managed to get it down from 15 to 13 instructions IIRC. The best coder had done a decent job actually, those two instructions were a proper mindbender

I think my favorite reads long ago were "Extracting the nth root of a binary number" by L. S. Wo and "The Mathematics of Programming" by C. A. R. Hoare (the one with the XOR swap, but in a bigger context).