English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 21 December 2015, 23:13   #21
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

At least in WinUAE it works fine with 2 MB chipram only via WB shell.
Old 21 December 2015, 23:25   #22
Akira

I can replicate all of Shatterhand's problems in WinUAE regardles of the config, tried A600 , A1200, they all do the same:

- Does not want to run from shell even if you run NTSC monitor. Always complains that the driver isn't present
- Loaded parts of my startup-sequence to try to make it run, to no avail.
- Runs from Workbench, but NOT IN NTSC even after tooltype is added. (let's remember some games cannot seem to be forced to NTSC, they switch back to PAL).

I GOT IT TO WORK THOUGH.
Ran all my s-s without loading workbench and it loaded in NTSC. So something from the startup-sequence is needed for WHDLoad to recognize the monitor driver. Maybe an assign?

I'll do a selective startup until it stops loading to post more info so you can know exactly what you need to load to get it to run.
It's very playable, you just don't see your score. But there WILL be sprite glitching. This game is just not made for NTSC.

[edit]
OK here is what causes it and I don't understand why.
You need this part from the s-s ran for the NTSC tooltype to work:
Code:
C:List >NIL: DEVS:Monitors/~(#?.info|VGAOnly) TO T:M LFORMAT "DEVS:Monitors/%s"
Execute T:M
C:Delete >NIL: T:M
EndIF
So make that into a script and execute it before you want to run a game with the NTSC tooltype.
This basically executes all the monitors on that folder. But why does it not work if I run them manually? I think you need MORE THAN JUST the NTSC monitors in there for this to be able to work.

[EDIIT 2]
Screw what I just wrote above. For this to wok you must execute BOTH the DblNTSC and NTSC monitors, that's all. I dunno why it didn't work for me before.

So run Devs:monitors/NTSC AND Devs:Monitors/DblNTSC for the game to run

Last edited by Akira; 21 December 2015 at 23:36.
Old 21 December 2015, 23:39   #23
zipper

It's the ancient alternative for C:LoadMonDrvs.
Old 21 December 2015, 23:45   #24
Akira

zipper, yeah, I understand now what it does after taking a peek at the output of that redirection.
Since Shatterhand's system is already low on memory, I wouldn't load all of them, because they aren't necessary. I still don't understand why you would need BOTH drivers if you just want to use a regular NTSC screen and not a double horizontal scan one.
Old 22 December 2015, 00:12   #25
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Maybe someone can enlighten me devs:monitors/ntsc always works for me?
Old 22 December 2015, 00:30   #26
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Maybe someone can enlighten me devs:monitors/ntsc always works for me?
Are you running an empty system like Shatterhand? Otherwise it may have been loaded by the system without you doing it by hand.
Maybe this depends on WHDLoad version. I tested it on WHDLoad 17.1.5206.
Old 22 December 2015, 00:32   #27
Retro1234
Bo Bo

No, but after posting I thought theres too many setups to test You know something like that use to get me and id be doing all kinds of tests on different setups.
Old 22 December 2015, 00:36   #28
Akira

I am sorry, I don't understand what your problem or question is, then.
If you are booting the system normally, the needed monitors were loaded already on the s-s with the commands I posted above.
Old 22 December 2015, 01:39   #29
TjLaZer

Funny, as I was playing this game on my A1000 with ACA1221 installed and it works great, but since my machine is US it does not do PAL. Bottom of the screen is chopped off but the game works fine. Runs a little laggy though but the game seems pretty impressive and the detail is amazing compared to R-Type 1 (which runs in true NTSC mode with no chopping off the screen at the bottom)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ec267b02-5d54-4780-b8f8-5bf1b8427629.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	46671  
Old 22 December 2015, 01:50   #30
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Seems bit annoying for some games cutting off the bottom and I thought it great when you upload Gods ntsc - hunting that for ages. Speedball 2 and Lotus 2 can be a bit fast in NTSC.

Last edited by Retro1234; 22 December 2015 at 02:39.
Old 22 December 2015, 02:00   #31
TjLaZer

Here it is in action...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 December 2015, 02:57   #32
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I get the same issue and I am not sure what it is, perhaps you just don't have enough memory.
As I told you times before, if you're really serious about using WHDLoad, it's about time you get more Fast RAM into that system.
Easier said than done, I am kinda broken now, and with our economy gone bonkers (dollar price is completely out of hand here right now).. it's not that simple to buy even the cheapest option for me right now.. so I am trying to get the best with what I got for now.

But anyway, I think I'll go the Gotek+relokick route for now (when I can afford it) and when (if) our economy gets back at normal and dolar price isn't that outrageous, I may think about getting a fast ram upgrade...

It seems it will be easier to just go the Gotek route. I may keep the WHDLoad games for stuff that I can actually make work with my current setup, and stick with the ADFs on the gotek with what I can't make work with the WHDLoad. The 2 button joystick problems, the fact that Swiv runs a loot choppier on WHDLoad and a lot of general trouble with WHDLoad running on a 68k (or on any processor at all) really makes me want to stick with a simplier solution. (I also kinda miss seeing the cracktros )

Anyway, I was talking another day with friends about getting my A600 as a Xmas gift and spending the whole weekend playing a LOT of R-Type 2, and playing it nowadays I notice all the slowdown I didn't notice back at time

When I read the game actually run smoother at NTSC, I thought maybe that was how I played when I was kid, and not just nostalgia goggles fuzzing up my memories... my A600 back at that time used to boot in NTSC and I had a disk (we called it a PAL Booter) to make it go PAL if the game needed (or some cracktros also did that). Many games would refuse to load if the Amiga wasn't set as PAL, and others would cut the bottom of the screen badly.

Funny thing is that many games would cut the screen anyway even when running in PAL on my old TV... it's really cool to be able to play stuff like Benefactor and actually be able to see the whole map, the energy bar and the score

I'll test that little script later or maybe tomorrow and see what results I get here. Right now the missus is using the TV where the Amiga is connected
Old 22 December 2015, 06:13   #33
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I'll test that little script later
Did you read my message through? You don't need the script, you just need to execute BOTH DEVS:Monitros/NTSC and DEVS:Monitros/DblNTSC

I agree though that WHDLoad can be a pain in the bunda. Getting angry at problems with it is the main reason I don't play Amiga games on my computers anymore and just stick to whatever runs well on my CD32.

As for R-Type 2, running it in NTSC will still yield slowdowns, because all those extra lines being drawn outside of the visible area are still happening, so glitching occurs (sprites blinking, whole lines of pixels flashing, more slowdown, etc). I don't think it's worth running it in NTSC (look at the video posted above).

By the way:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
Bottom of the screen is chopped off but the game works fine.
You can see more of the screen, tweak your monitor. On NTSC anything below the beam bar is cut, but the beam bar is visible. your vertical size is stretched too high.
Old 26 December 2015, 21:51   #34
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I tried it today with both the NTSC tooltype through .info file and on PAL running it by CLI using just WHDLOAD Rtype2.slave

It makes no difference on the screen, but indeed when I run from the .info file, the 2nd button works. Running from CLI, it doesn't.

Tested Apidya doing the same thing, 2nd button doesn't work in any case.

This is really... weird.
Old 26 December 2015, 23:51   #35
jotd
Cat freak

Could be a timing related issue. As I said in another thread, button 2 management is mysterious to me but I heard that you cannot read it twice without waiting some time...
And ntsc tooltype can be overridden by the game itself that could force PAL after whdload has started. When possible it is better to remove the code using a patch in the slave. Not always done.
Old 27 December 2015, 03:38   #36
Akira

But if you do exactly as I said, it works in NTSC. 'You've got t be doing something wrong man. Follow my instructions exactly.
Old 27 December 2015, 04:55   #37
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I actually didn't try exactly what you said. I just wanted to be sure in both cases the game wasn't running on NTSC and also activating 2nd button support.

But I'll try your suggestion later and see if the game runs in NTSC.

Right now I am reformatting my CF card so I can reorganize files/partitions the way I want I'll take the opportunity to also update WHDLoad to the newest version
Old 27 December 2015, 20:11   #38
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I actually didn't try exactly what you said.
DUUUUH rsrsrsrs

While you're at it, make it only one partition as I suggested in your other thread, to free up some RAM.
Old 28 December 2015, 05:51   #39
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Yep, that's what I did, And now I have a lot more free memory after boot, even when loading Workbench. (1.2 x 1.7 mb)
Old 21 June 2016, 17:27   #40
brett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
Funny, as I was playing this game on my A1000 with ACA1221 installed and it works great, but since my machine is US it does not do PAL. Bottom of the screen is chopped off but the game works fine. Runs a little laggy though but the game seems pretty impressive and the detail is amazing compared to R-Type 1 (which runs in true NTSC mode with no chopping off the screen at the bottom)
This is exactly what I would see (back in the day) when I got a game intended for PAL systems and ran it in NTSC on my NTSC Amiga. All I did to get it to work properly was ran Degrader, told it to reboot the computer in PAL mode, and it worked and displayed properly then. Of course you'd need an Amiga with the proper Agnus chip, which I had at the time.