English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 18 December 2001, 22:19   #1
Jim

BIP (a.k.a Biplane Duel)

I think there was 2 versions of this, the first was 2 players only whereas the second had a AI player.

It was a PD game, and I remember seeing it twice on Amiga Format coverdisks - in the same issue that had the free Interphase game from what I remember.

This is such a simple game but I loved it !

Anyone know of anything similar or can provide me with some screenshots of this ! ?

Cheers

//admin: please don't use direct signature in your post, configure your UserCP instead.

Old 19 December 2001, 00:01   #2
Bloodwych

Is this the game where you'd get into dogfights by circling one another for ages until a cloud covered both of you and only 1 plane came out? I loved this game!

I remember climbing to the top of the screen and diving down to gain max speed. You could also stall your plane.

There was another version which was 4-player. Dogfight I think?

That was a scream - one of the greatest PD multiplayer games ever!
Old 19 December 2001, 00:08   #3
Jim

That's the one !!!

If you pulled up too hard upon take-off you'd loop-the-loop and die straight away !

For those still not sure I can vauguely remember the GFX now. It had a brick hut in the middle with a thatched roof. That was about it ! There was also a copperbar background and a few clouds you could hide behind.

I never did like Dogfight - I think they screwed the mechanics up, and it was jerky as hell cause I believe it was written in AMOS/Blitz.

But BIP was great.

You would zoom up to the top of the screen and your engine would stall. You have to put the plane in a straight down nosedive to regain your speed and fly out at the last minute.

Best of 15/16 kills I think it was. I will find out what Amiga Format coverdisks it was on.

Old 19 December 2001, 00:11   #4
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Floppy disk Bip and Salmon Pink Max WHDLoad

Grab the WHDLoad version of these games (the one install patches both) and you even get the flickering cloud problem fixed: BIP install

The readme tells you which coverdisk you need to grab to play the games.
Old 19 December 2001, 00:18   #5
Jim

Thanks Codetapper - good to see I'm not the only one who loved this game.

I'll have to perfect my runway divebombing skills again !! Once you had the air advantage if you were a good player you could score multiple points before the opponent even took off !! Sometimes it was worth doing a quick kamikaze take off (not enough power to take off but enough to spin & shoot) to actually shoot the air-supreme pilot down !!

Boy am I looking forward to this :-)

Old 23 December 2001, 04:58   #6
sgt_chimp

I had this on the old Atari 2600. it came with other combat games including tanks, bomber and other variants on tank and airplane themes.