English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 14 December 2006, 03:24   #1
Photon

Hooooo WB loads but can't open harddrive icon on my A500

Hm. Curious.

Juts formatted and installed WB 2.0 on a Zip disk (in place of harddrive) on my A500/040. Booted, loadwb, fine. Click once on the harddrive icon (=zip disk). Now I can't right-click to access the Snapshot menu. Click once on the top bar of the CLI window. Mouse freezes. (which means reboot.)

Switch to native 68000 processor, nothing else changed, reboot. Works fine.

Will take a look at the startup-sequence on the Progressive 040 install disk, but...

What measures can I take to ensure an accelerator works with WB? I've already tried disabling Data and Copyback caches. A1200 guys, did you have to do something special? Fastmemonly? Disable instruction cache (surely not?)?

HEEEEEEELP :´(
Old 14 December 2006, 07:50   #2
cooldude

This may help (Or not!)

System :- A1200 '060

The CPU is fully activated by running the program CPU60 as the first

line in the startup-sequence. There should (?) be a similar program

for the '040.

Also the standard '060 library (In libs drawer) is replaced by a

a specific '060 library for the CPU. Presumably this applies to

the '040. Should be on the install disk.

Also try loading Workbench from the Floppy and see if anything

changes.

Your right about the '060....nothing has to be disabled (sorta

self-defeating

Cheers mate!
Old 14 December 2006, 13:50   #3
ppill
CON: artist

Gosh, never tried running Workbench 2.0 on a 040 machine but check out the MMU package by Thomas Richter (aminet). I do believe it supports 2.x kickstarts and is probably THE tool for setting up accelerator boards. If the boards has a proper autoconfig procedure then it will work without major problems. If not, you'll need to tweak a few things here and there (you'll find everything in the manual). And by the way, does the 68040 have a working mmu unit?
Old 14 December 2006, 14:06   #4
Photon

ppill: Well, I tested the 040 when I got it; tried some new assembler commands, ran MIPS/MFLOPS tests etc and it checked out. The memory management unit? Don't know how to test it but it seems unlikely that the MMU would work fine for years coding and playing games but suddenly give up when I click a WB icon

To me it seems that WB 2.0 tries to react to the click of the drive, since it needs to enable some items in the WB menu when you do that. Instead it fails with out error message, and clicking RMB doesn't change the contents of the menu bar - it still says amount of chip and fast free (445KB chip, 4.5MB fast).

The Progressive 040 came with an install disk with modified libraries - I could try reinstalling it.

cooldude: I already have CPU040 in my startup-sequence.
Old 14 December 2006, 14:10   #5
ppill
CON: artist

It's just that a working MMU unit is required when using the mmu package. I wasn't suggesting that it's somehow responsible for freezing up your miggy