English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 September 2020, 14:20   #21
Glen M

Bit late to the party but the SD card is marginally slower than CF in writes. Reading is more or less identical so there is very little in it to be honest. Regardless though if you're just playing games any HDD option is fast enough. The slowest transfer rates I seen were about 1mb/s, that still more than 1 floppy disk of data per second, plenty fast.

BTW if your patching the scsi.device I found that 44.20 is faster than 43.45 (1.25mb/s vs 1mb/s on a stock 1200) but its limited to 4GB partitions. If you had say only an 8gb drive 2 or 3 partitions is manageable so personally I'd go with 44.20. Once you start going over 4 partitions I find it becomes a pain so fall back to 43.45. All pointless if your running 3.1.4 roms but thought I'd mention it.

In case your wondering the fastest transfer rates I've seen are on my CD32 with its 54mhz TF330 and a real IDE HDD running at just over 9mb/s. My sandisk ultra 8GB cf card manages about 8mb/s with other CF cards and the SD card getting about 4.5-5mb/s.
Old 08 September 2020, 21:43   #22
Planetinfinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
I use this CF to SD adapter for both IDE and PCMCIA:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019REDBY6

The first one I bought didn't work, and they sent me another one which did work. I got a second one and that was OK too.
I bought one of those adapter and tried to get it working with a 16GB SDHC Card formated with FAT32 but Amiga OS 3.1.4.1 does not find any storage at the PCMCIA slot. Afterward I used a 2 GB SDCard which is usually not what I wanted but even with a 2 GB SD Card I am not able to find the Storage.

When I use my old 512 MB native CF Card within the PCMCIA adapter I am able to see the storage

Last edited by Planetinfinity; 08 September 2020 at 21:51.
Old 09 September 2020, 15:30   #23
Planetinfinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Indeed, the one I have is limited to 2GB. But a PCMCIA-CF adaptor will go to much larger sizes, provided the SD-CF adaptor supports it.
I just had a quick look and saw this adaptor: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCMCIA-to...B/293361209631

It appears to support SD-HC cards up to 32GB.

Did someone test this adapter ?
Does this adapter really support 32GB SD Cards ?
Old 09 September 2020, 15:41   #24
Planetinfinity

I have an additional question. I found a couple of other 2GB, 16GB, 1GB from my camera. If I want to use it in the pcmcia slot how should I format it:

On the Amiga direktly because I am able to see the device when I use the format app ?
Should I format it with Windows FAT32 or FAT16 ?
Does it make a difference when I use Linux with the option FAT Compatible ?
Old 09 September 2020, 17:39   #25
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetinfinity View Post
I have an additional question. I found a couple of other 2GB, 16GB, 1GB from my camera. If I want to use it in the pcmcia slot how should I format it:

On the Amiga direktly because I am able to see the device when I use the format app ?
Should I format it with Windows FAT32 or FAT16 ?
Does it make a difference when I use Linux with the option FAT Compatible ?
The storage in the PCMCIA slot uses the CFD / FAT95 drivers, which works with FAT16 or FAT32 formats.

The Amiga does not have any way to format FAT16/FAT32 - so it needs to be done on a Windows/Linix/Mac environment that does support this format.
Old 09 September 2020, 18:08   #26
Daedalus

Quote:
The Amiga does not have any way to format FAT16/FAT32 - so it needs to be done on a Windows/Linix/Mac environment that does support this format.
Formatting any media is handled by some standard routines that are part of the filesystem. The OS doesn't need to know about a specific filesystem to format it, it just sends the format command to the filesystem and that does the rest. Fat95 supports formatting, so therefore FAT drives can indeed be formatted on the Amiga.

However, I generally format FAT devices on Windows or Linux just to be safe.
Old 09 September 2020, 18:11   #27
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Formatting any media is handled by some standard routines that are part of the filesystem. The OS doesn't need to know about a specific filesystem to format it, it just sends the format command to the filesystem and that does the rest. Fat95 supports formatting, so therefore FAT drives can indeed be formatted on the Amiga.

However, I generally format FAT devices on Windows or Linux just to be safe.
Oh - apologies for providing wrong information. I was not aware that FAT95 supports formatting. How is that actually done? I see that there is a c/fat95 command in the Aminet package.
Old 09 September 2020, 18:21   #28
Daedalus

It's a standard message that the OS passes to the filesystem, and then the filesystem itself executes whatever routines it needs in order to built up the directory structure, admin blocks and whatever else is needed.

Some filesystems also have their own formatting commands because they have additional options that the standard OS formatting programs don't support - things like case sensitivity, recycle directories and so on that are set to default values with the standard command but can be adjusted with SFSFormat for example.
Old 09 September 2020, 21:38   #29
Planetinfinity

This drives mit completely crazy. Averall I tested nearly 20 SD Cards:

512 MB, 1 GB, 2GB, 16 GB, 32GB from different vendors. I am not able to get one of them displayed in workbench with the newest fat95 and cf software.

I use the following Adapter

https://www.amazon.de/QUMOX-Compact-...9680600&sr=8-4

Does anyone have a hint for me ?

Last edited by Planetinfinity; 09 September 2020 at 21:44.
Old 09 September 2020, 21:55   #30
solarmon

Quote:
This drives mit completely crazy. Averall I tested nearly 20 SD Cards:

512 MB, 1 GB, 2GB, 16 GB, 32GB from different vendors. I am not able to get one of them displayed in workbench with the newest fat95 and cf software.

I use the following Adapter

https://www.amazon.de/QUMOX-Compact-...9680600&sr=8-4

Does anyone have a hint for me ?
What Kickstart and Workbench OS do you have. Do you have an 8MB memory expansion? If so, is is 'PCMCIA compatible'?

Try my boot disk to bypass the installed Workbench OS:

https://sites.google.com/one-n.co.uk...boot-cfd-fat95
Old 09 September 2020, 21:58   #31
Planetinfinity

I use an Individual Computer ACA1223n. As far as I was able to find out this card is compatible with PCMCIA. I am still able to use a 512 MB CF Card in the PCMCIA adapter.
Old 09 September 2020, 22:04   #32
solarmon

Oh, so you can't use any SD card? Does the CF/SD adapter work on your PC?
Old 09 September 2020, 22:08   #33
Planetinfinity

Yes, without any problems. I am able to read and write.

I also tested to format the SD card directly in my pc and when I already plugged the sd card to the adapter. Both works fine.
The only problem is that I am not able to see the SD Card when I mount the CF0 device,
Old 09 September 2020, 22:14   #34
solarmon

Quote:
Yes, without any problems. I am able to read and write.

I also tested to format the SD card directly in my pc and when I already plugged the sd card to the adapter. Both works fine.
The only problem is that I am not able to see the SD Card when I mount the CF0 device,
Hhhmm, strange. My first CF/SD adapter did not work - in both PC and Amiga - so I got the seller to send me a other one, which did work.

Still, try with my boot disk and see if that makes a difference. But if you are saying your 512MB CF works in the PCMCIA/CF adapter, then your CFD/FAT95 setup sounds like it is OK.
Old 09 September 2020, 22:54   #35
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
They exist but are much more expensive than CF Readers
No, they're not. I'm using this SD2PCMCIA card converter.

Only con is that only SD cards (not HC/XC) are recognised. So maximum capacity which i found is 2GB.
Old 09 September 2020, 23:21   #36
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
I also read on a reseller side that I could use every SD Card for the internal IDE (up to 64 GB). Is this true ?

Is this also true for the CF to SD adapter for the PCMCIA Port ?
I have only 32GB SD card and for sure it works up to 32GB. Don't know if 64GB is supported.
Old 10 September 2020, 08:34   #37
Planetinfinity

Quote:
Try my boot disk to bypass the installed Workbench OS:

https://sites.google.com/one-n.co.uk...boot-cfd-fat95
I created and booted this disk. I tested the CF2SC Card Adapter with 64GB, 32GB, 2GB, 1GB formated in Linux using FAT compatible option.
I was at least able to see a greyed out disk symbol with "CF0:Unreadable", which is more than I am able to see when I boot my normal workbench.

Is this a step forward or another different behaviour ?

Last edited by Planetinfinity; 10 September 2020 at 08:50.
Old 10 September 2020, 11:34   #38
solarmon

Quote:
I created and booted this disk. I tested the CF2SC Card Adapter with 64GB, 32GB, 2GB, 1GB formated in Linux using FAT compatible option.
I was at least able to see a greyed out disk symbol with "CF0:Unreadable", which is more than I am able to see when I boot my normal workbench.

Is this a step forward or another different behaviour ?
I haven't come across 'CFO:Unreadable' before. From the tests with the limited set of adapters and cards I have, I have only come across 'CF0:NDOS' or 'CF0:Unitialized' which means that the card has not been formatted as FAT16/FAT32. So I'm not sure what 'CFO:Unreadable' means.

The only thing I would suggest is to try another CF/SD adapter.
Old 10 September 2020, 13:45   #39
Planetinfinity

Ok, I wanted to make sure that the issue is not releated to the Formating via Linux.

Therefore I used my 2 GB SD Card and formated it with: FAT32, exFAT and FAT (compatible) in Windows but the issue is the same: "CF0:Unreadable".
Old 10 September 2020, 13:49   #40
solarmon

Quote:
Ok, I wanted to make sure that the issue is not releated to the Formating via Linux.

Therefore I used my 2 GB SD Card and formated it with: FAT32, exFAT and FAT (compatible) in Windows but the issue is the same: "CF0:Unreadable".
In PrepCard, what is the Product ID shown?

On my CF/SD adapter, it is:

Key Technology Corp.
FC1307

Version 4.1