English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 09 July 2023, 11:48   #1
spacebiscuit

WBRun Help

I'm trying to finalise my setup of ButtonMenu on Amiga OS.3.2 using a zipped archive taken from another install which contains the BMenu folder, I just need to install some missing programs and tweak some config.

Things are mostly working as expected but it seems I do not have WBRun installed, so any buttons that open a program don't work. I downloaded the WBRun.lha and copied the two files into my BMenu drawer:

WBRUN
WBRUN.c

If I open a shell and try the command:

WBRun SYS:Prefs
Couldn't load "System:Prefs"
Object is not of the required type

Am I correct in stating that WBRun isn't avaulable out of the box with OS 3. After copying the 2 WBRun I also had to copy parm.Library from the Libs drawer of classic WB, so what am I doing wrong, any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09 July 2023, 12:28   #2
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebiscuit View Post
I downloaded the WBRun.lha
With OS3.2 it is probably better to use the wbrun found in this archive:

https://www.stephan-rupprecht.de/dow...WBStartEmu.lha

Quote:

SYS:Prefs is a drawer not an executable.
Old 09 July 2023, 12:35   #3
daxb

Usually WBRun should be copied to SYS:C but it can be placed somewhere else. It is a good idea to have it somewhere in the search path. WBRUN.c seems to be the source file and isn't needed.

You get the error message because you try to open a directory what fails because it "is not of the required type". If you select a program then it should start it as expected.
Old 09 July 2023, 13:45   #4
spacebiscuit

Thanks, i was trying WBRun SYS:Prefs because I have a button with dos command:

Opendrawer SYS:Prefs

That didn't work and I Googled it, I thought I saw that WBRun would work also. Are there any special requirements to make the Opendrawer command work?

Last edited by spacebiscuit; 11 July 2023 at 14:23.
Old 09 July 2023, 15:33   #5
daxb

http://aminet.net/package/util/cli/OpenDrawer seems to be an OS3.5 (only) program. Because you are using OS3.2 you don't need an external program to open a directory. OS 3.2 (or any other version with a Workbench Arexx port, i.e. >=OS3.5) can do it. In fact there is already a script for OS3.5 on Aminet ( http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/openwb ). However, OS3.2 should already come with an example.
Old 09 July 2023, 16:35   #6
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

I suggest to use WBLoad from OS3.2.x
WBRun requires wbstart.library as well iirc.

Also you don't need any OpenDrawer command under OS3.2.x. The arexx script S:win is all you need (for example S:win SYS:Prefs opens Prefs drawer)
Old 09 July 2023, 22:56   #7
spacebiscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
Also you don't need any OpenDrawer command under OS3.2.x. The arexx script S:win is all you need (for example S:win SYS:Prefs opens Prefs drawer)
Wierd, the command works when I use the shell to execute it, but as dos command set for the button nothing happens:

S:win SYS:Prefs
Old 10 July 2023, 09:04   #8
thomas

Try Execute S:win SYS:Prefs as command.
Old 10 July 2023, 09:09   #9
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

I don't understand clearly but lets make the following example:

Create a script using for example TexEdit in RAM:OpenPrefs with the following line only:
S:win SYS:Prefs

if you put an icon (project) and put IconX in the default tool then if you double click the OpenPrefs icon the Prefs drawer will open

Edit: I just saw Thomas's reply as I was writing. I was about to say that as well, although I saw that the Script bit is already set in the file's properties.
Old 10 July 2023, 10:47   #10
spacebiscuit

Hi Guys - as mentioned, from the shell the command works and will open the drawer, but from ButtonMenu the button does not respond when it has been assigned the same command:

Old 10 July 2023, 12:01   #11
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I'm trying to finalise my setup of ButtonMenu on Amiga OS.3.2 using a zipped archive taken from another install which contains the BMenu folder, I just need to install some missing programs and tweak some config.

Things are mostly working as expected but it seems I do not have WBRun installed, so any buttons that open a program don't work. I downloaded the WBRun.lha and copied the two files into my BMenu drawer:

WBRUN
WBRUN.c

Am I correct in stating that WBRun isn't avaulable out of the box with OS 3. After copying the 2 WBRun I also had to copy parm.Library from the Libs drawer of classic WB, so what am I doing wrong, any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

WBRun works very well to open a path in window (WBLoad can't do it) or run an App, see screenshot

Error Couldn't load "System:Prefs", you probably have a conflict somewhere, could be your "Volume" is called "System" rename to "DH0" or other name.

Be careful if you change Volume Name, you have to correct all the preference paths, example the one used for wallpapers,or aaltro, you can replace with DH0, or better with SYS (in this way you can change the volume name without changing anything anymore).

Which Menu Buttons are you using, to work from the menu, this must have the ability to run WBRun from Shell, so in the request you can write the path or file to open

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 18 July 2023 at 11:12.
Old 10 July 2023, 13:39   #12
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

S:Win is an Arexx script so try putting the following declaration in DOS Command:

SYS:Rexxc/RX S:Win SYS:Prefs

That should do the trick
Old 10 July 2023, 13:56   #13
spacebiscuit

SYS:Rexxc/RX S:Win SYS:Prefs - works

About my volume name, the icon on the workbench is "System" so I guess as AmigaSystem said I should rename it. Can I just rename the icon or have I got to use a tool such as HTToolBox?

I mostly changed any programs to open using WBload, is there any need or recommendation to install WBRun too?
Old 10 July 2023, 14:08   #14
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
About my volume name, the icon on the workbench is "System" so I guess as AmigaSystem said I should rename it.
Be careful calling the volume the same as the device name (e.g. DH0) as it may confuse the OS.
By convention, Amiga uses DHx for harddrive device names.
Mostly people will set the volume name to something that identifies the purpose of the volume, e.g. "System", "Games", "Data", etc.

I don't think you need to rename your System volume (it was probably named like that by the OS installer) unless you can come up with something that better describes its purpose

Last edited by hooverphonique; 10 July 2023 at 15:55.
Old 10 July 2023, 15:04   #15
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
WBRun works very well to open a path in window (WBLoad can't do it) or run an App, see screenshot
What are the requirements for this? Here on OS3.1 (WHDLoad) and on OS3.1 with DOpus5 WB-Replacement it does not work.
Old 10 July 2023, 15:50   #16
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
SYS:Rexxc/RX S:Win SYS:Prefs - works
Coolio I mostly use it via ToolsDaemon (having a Drawer's category where I select Temp, Files, Prefs etc) by using S:win []

Quote:
About my volume name, the icon on the workbench is "System" so I guess as AmigaSystem said I should rename it. Can I just rename the icon or have I got to use a tool such as HTToolBox?
You can put whatever name you want (except the device name for safety). Only thing that will create issues probably are the backdrops (as they are saved using the volume label and not sys: which is universal).
Also some programs might not find the prefs but it's easy to find and fix

Quote:
I mostly changed any programs to open using WBload, is there any need or recommendation to install WBRun too?
I haven't found a single need in order to have WBrun/wbstart.library) installed under 3.2.x, so I guess no
Old 10 July 2023, 18:10   #17
spacebiscuit

BTW it seems I do have WBRun because I have a working button with:

WBRun SYS:Prefs/WBPattern

So it seems sub-folders work, just not the 'Prefs' itself
Old 10 July 2023, 19:27   #18
daxb

No. SYS:Prefs is a directory and SYS:Prefs/WBPattern is a program. It seems that WBRun works as expected.
Old 10 July 2023, 20:53   #19
spacebiscuit

D'oh of course
Old 10 July 2023, 21:53   #20
EctoOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
What are the requirements for this? Here on OS3.1 (WHDLoad) and on OS3.1 with DOpus5 WB-Replacement it does not work.
I believe all methods to open a directory require at least 3.5. At least I haven't found a way to do it on 3.1.
Although it might be possible to do it with Scalos. If I remember correctly it comes with a tool that sounds like it would do the trick. Never tried it thought.