English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 30 January 2017, 22:20   #1
CYBER_SLUNK

Porting an Amiga game to PC

Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I have been doing several weeks of Amiga research at this point, but I cannot find the answer to one of my main questions.

What I am looking to do, is create a game using an Amiga under Amiga Forever, then port it to Steam.

I have seen two games do this or something similar; 1993 Space Machine and Damage - both of which are on Steam.

Can anyone provide me any insight on this or point me in the right direction? I literally fell in love with the Amiga after watching the Viva Amiga documentary, as this is something I've searched for my entire life. My main interests in it is it seems to be the HOLY GRAIL of retro CG and computer music I have literally been searching for all my life.

I have become literally obsessed with making something like this a reality, and have been utterly consumed and lost within what seems to be a labyrinth of unending complexity. Though I intend to figure it out and see my way to the end, somehow.

It's like they said in Viva Amga, "It doesn't look retro, it IS retro!"

Old 30 January 2017, 23:59   #2
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I am not so technically savvy to recognize all details but for sure i think you would need to use AROS 68k roms to avoid copyright issues, and a self-contained emulation box; not sure about the source license but either FS_UAE or WinUAE might suffice; you might need to ge ton touch with Toni Wilen on how to create a self-contained environment.

Other option might be the Javascript compiled version of UAE that some times ago was tested on archive.org, still with AROS 68k roms
Old 31 January 2017, 03:16   #3
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
I am not so technically savvy to recognize all details but for sure i think you would need to use AROS 68k roms to avoid copyright issues
Another way would be to obtain a license from Cloanto. It's not particularly expensive to buy a 3 pack of ROMs, so I can't imagine it would add much to the cost per unit to use just one Kickstart ROM embedded in the package.

I've only used AROS ROMs via WinUAE, but, erm, while very good they aren't exactly 100% compatible with Amiga software.

-edit-

I hope you are planning on supporting Linux (and Mac I suppose) as well as Windows.

Last edited by Anakirob; 31 January 2017 at 03:25.
Old 31 January 2017, 10:12   #4
snowfire

I'd be interested too about the possibility of publishing Amiga m68k games on Steam.

It would give way more incentive to develop ( and even finish) new games for the classic Amiga.

As Steam is The Games Platform today the audience would be huge and player would not have to worry about setting up and running emulator themselves.

Could be the best future for Amiga as a games machine.

Maybe even 2-4 player local multiplayer on shared screen could be made possible, running 2-4 emulations.

Any info about this would be appreciated.
Old 31 January 2017, 19:14   #5
CYBER_SLUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfire View Post
I'd be interested too about the possibility of publishing Amiga m68k games on Steam.

It would give way more incentive to develop ( and even finish) new games for the classic Amiga.

As Steam is The Games Platform today the audience would be huge and player would not have to worry about setting up and running emulator themselves.

Could be the best future for Amiga as a games machine.

Maybe even 2-4 player local multiplayer on shared screen could be made possible, running 2-4 emulations.

Any info about this would be appreciated.
There is definitely a huge untapped potential in the Amiga library. Sega piecemeals their old Genesis games out at $5 a pop. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested.

If this becomes beyond my range (which is certainly seems to be from the looks of it, I may just use the Amiga for art and music. For instance: for my intents and purposes, using CG images rendered out and put into adventure game studio would be pretty easy. Just need to figure out how to get the renders to my pc. But I believe that's a topic for another time. I have a lot of questions for these boards