English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 May 2002, 23:15   #1
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

SVGA monitor adapters

http://www.amigastuff.co.uk/partnumb...GA2&Page=type1

Are any of you using one of these? Do they work? How do they work?

...and while we're at it, what's the meaning of li... on second thoughts that's probably pushing my luck.
Old 07 May 2002, 23:24   #2
RetroMan

Of course they work BUT without a scandoubler/flickerfixer you MUST have a PC Monitor capable of displaying 15Khz. ...... with a scando/flifi you need a PC Monitor which can display 31Khz.
Old 07 May 2002, 23:42   #3
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Lol, you might as well just buy a separate Amiga monitor and save yourself some money.

Here's my monitor: http://www.consumer.philips.com/glob...tId=107P20_05H

Would that be any use?
Old 07 May 2002, 23:52   #4
oldpx

I have that adapter here. It works only under some screenmodes under workbench like double pal, double ntsc and euro 72. I think any average svga monitor can display these screenmodes but they only work uder workbench. I'm using quite a good monitor here (Sony multiscan g400) but a 17" philips will be quite capable of anything mine can do.

Old 09 May 2002, 03:47   #5
Amiga1992

That thing used to come with A1200s, methinks.Mine came with the machine, its Commodore brand.

Now I think Ill spend me cash on a scandoubler. I cant be hunting 1084s forever, I buy them and they die in a month man It's phase-out time for C= monitors.
Old 09 May 2002, 06:10   #6
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
That thing used to come with A1200s, methinks.Mine came with the machine, its Commodore brand.

Now I think Ill spend me cash on a scandoubler. I cant be hunting 1084s forever, I buy them and they die in a month man It's phase-out time for C= monitors.
Agree with you Akira, I came to that conlucsion about a year ago, too much frustration with old commodore monitors going bang. So I got a scandoubler, works very well, one day I'll have to save up for an LCD monitor, and run the amiga thru that. Once you get a scandoubler you never look back .. I'm just worried about the scan double going bang...

Oh, I read in another thread something about pumping composite out from miggy to a TV card in a PC and then displaying the amiga stuff that way. Just wondering if that is any good, or what quality trade offs can one expect.
Old 09 May 2002, 11:04   #7
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm using my Amiga 1200 with my PCTV card at the moment and the picture is horrible. It's all fuzzy and flickery. It's only really any use for seeing what you're typing while you transfer files from the PC. If you going to use PCTV make sure it's your last resort.
Old 09 May 2002, 13:56   #8
oldpx

I saw a link to a very cool 21" Sony LCD RGB monitor somewhere, maybe on eab. Monitors with RGB input directly work with Amigas don't they?

Old 11 May 2002, 01:18   #9
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Miggy2TheMax

Oh, I read in another thread something about pumping composite out from miggy to a TV card in a PC and then displaying the amiga stuff that way. Just wondering if that is any good, or what quality trade offs can one expect.
It looks like cack. Composite is cack, if you ever used your Amiga with RGB, you shouldn't be looking back at composite. And when you do it through a PC TVIN card, it looks like smudged-red, crappy blocky composite. not a faulyt of the Amiga's composite output (pretty darn good on a TV, compared to other machines).

I dont like LCD monitors, tho. Too blocky, and teh aspect ratio uses to be fudged up. I rather have a 21"Sony FD Triniton
Old 11 May 2002, 03:36   #10
oldpx

So do RGB monitors work?

Old 11 May 2002, 19:46   #11
Amiga1992

RGB monitors? I got lost dunno what I said and what you mean, but of course, all Amiga RGB monitors work. And any SCART RGB-capable TV would. And any arcade monitor
Old 12 May 2002, 14:54   #12
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

All modern PC monitors are RGB monitors ( every VGA, SVGA monitor )
But you cannot them directly with the Amiga, because the Amiga provides a 15KHz signal and a PC monitor can only synchronize to signals beginning with 30KHz ( and up to e.g. 85, 95, 110KHz,...depending on the monitor )
So that's the reason you need a scandoubler which doubles the Amiga's 15KHz to 30KHz, so it can be displayed by PC monitors.

If you don't have a scandoubler then you have the following possibilities:

1) Get an old 15KHz RGB monitor ( e.g. C= 1084, Philips CM-88xx models,.... )

2) Get an old multisync monitor. ( e.g. NEC 3D ). These monitors can sync from 15KHz up to about 45KHz and therefore you can connect the Amiga as well as the PC to them ( but you cannot use very high resolution on the PC because of the max. of about 45KHz. )

3) Hook the Amiga up to a TV that can understand RGB signals on it's SCART ( not all TVs can do that ! )
If you have an A-1200 or other Amiga that has composite-out then every TV with a SCART will do. You can also hook it to the TV using the modulator-out, but that will give you lower display quality than the composite-2-scart.

4) Again, if you have an Amiga with composite-out then you can also use the TV card method and have the Amiga display at the PC's monitor thru the TV card.

I think that's all methods I can think of right now.

So your 21" monitor will most probably be a modern PC monitor that starts with 30KHz sync and therefore needs a sacndoubler to work with an Amiga.
Old 12 May 2002, 15:28   #13
oldpx

What I mean as a RGB monitor is, some monitors have a RGB input that is different from a VGA input, a friend of mine has such a Philips monitor for example.

And that 21" isn't mine, I'd love to have it though