English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 January 2002, 20:28   #1
MethodGit

Unhappy Well, it appears I've been banned from the HOTU forum...

...and all because I questioned one of the Watchdogs on there about the availability of the rarest and least known Command & Conquer game: Sole Survivor, and of that other forgotten EA game, Scarab. They thought I wanted them for free as warez. Of course, it wasn't for that reason alone, I was also questioning the availability of other "back-burner" games that I honestly believed no-one else cared about anymore, developers or stores.

The thing is though, I was at least being sensible. I didn't request for anything recently released (duh ), all I did was talk about almost-forgotten games from between 1990-98 at least. So it's not as if I said "Pls upload ISO of Half-Life 4 me, I've 4gottn my CD key" or anything like that.

Maybe it was all because I got used to my sister downloading some games from newsgroups a couple or few years back on her sooper-fast 10Mb/sec connection at University (she still occasionally downloads some (mostly) import PSX and Dreamcast games for us to play), I don't know, but the thing is I believe a lot of the prices people charge for really old games is criminal.

I expect to pay only somewhere between £3-£10 for a game that I'm interested in trying out but don't exactly have a "MUST-GET-THIS-DEFINITELY-OR-WILL-COLLAPSE!" feeling for it (I only get that feeling (and therefore am willing to pay over the £20 mark) for games that have that little something in them, something which makes the game want to be kept on my hard-disk for a long time, this was with games like GTA 1 & 2, Curse Of and Escape From Monkey Island, Quake III Arena, and many console games etc.).

I'm sorry, but if they're going to act so bloody strict and claim ridiculous things like "oh, this little backbeat store down in Kansas still has 5 copies of this 1991 game for sale, so no, it's not abandoned" (not that they've literally said that, but I'm describing their general behaviour) or "if the IDSA think this company wants Game X (which has clearly been forgotten by the developers themselves due to ridiculously poor sales and is never likely to crop up in a store ever again - Reality-check Ed) to be protected from free-of-charge public download for no clear reason whatsoever, then so be it" (again, they haven't literally said this), then screw the whole lot of them. If they don't like my opinions and beliefs, tough moley. I'm not gonna change them just because they treat abandoned/still-sold-at-one-place games like an old black-and-white issue. It's ridiculous.

I've only been temporarily banned from the forum, mind, but still, I don't think I'll go there again. Not after all the needless flak they were giving out to me.

I'm not very comfortable with overseas ordering, either. I prefer to order from a store that's at least on the same island as me (although not as far as Scotland of course). And yet the site that the Watchdogs often refer to when I ask if this game or that game is obtainable, CDAccess, is an American site which doesn't appear to focus much on extensive international support (although that's not to say they don't take overseas orders) and currency translations (that would help if you couldn't be arsed to find a currency translator on the net and just wanted to get to the point). And if you're thinking I'm acting anti-American here, think again.

I don't fully rely on the newsgroup scene, though. I mean, one game in particular I used to download as 'warez' a few years back, but then eventually I decided around the end of last year, "Hey, I guess this game is so good that it could just be worth legitimately buying after all" and eventually went out to one of the local stores and bought the game for just £6.99 (now that's what I call a bargain and a decent price ) and felt very happy with my choice as a result. The game in question? SimCity 2000 Special Edition. And before, I wasn't really interested in getting Unreal before, until I saw it in stores for a measly-but-top-notch five quid.

P.S. I should've really have asked this a while ago but, what exactly do people mean by "0-day Warez"? Is this like games that become available to download on the same day the game is released into stores?
Old 06 January 2002, 20:50   #2
birdy-scc
Banned

What's the link to the thread on that other forum Marz?
Old 06 January 2002, 20:54   #3
oldpx

0-Day = Games that become available to download on the same day the game is released which is earlier than it reaches the stores.

So admit it. Were you requesting sole survivor?

Old 06 January 2002, 23:37   #4
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by birdy
What's the link to the thread on that other forum Marz?
This thread wraps it up quite nicely Birdy:-

http://www.theunderdogs.org/forum/vi...c=1521&forum=3

I have a feeling you know what it say's before you even click the link
Old 06 January 2002, 23:41   #5
MethodGit

@Burseg: Well, if you mean requesting for the game in any way, whether it be directions to a buy link/place which has it or asking them to upload the full game to their site, then I guess so.

I was kinda hoping they would provide a full download though, considering that since I have no idea how it plays (there was no demo or anything) I am not sure whether it really is worth paying money for a game I don't know much about except for a few screenshots and the fact it exists.

I was told that "the game is still supported and sold" blah blah blah, but where? That's the main thing, where? I looked at CDAccess and the EA Store, both gave me nada results. I looked all around Westwood's site for details (where it could be bought, is it still supported) on the game and (after wading through pointless ads for Renegade and Red Alert 2 + expansion pack), with the exception of a measly press release from their report archives, the game is never even namechecked in any major section, let alone have a page on it. There's a Command & Conquer Universe page (a place explaining all the C&C games made & released) which mentions all the major games but foolishly leaves out Sole Survivor for some incomprehensible reason. This must mean nearly everyone, if not all, at Westwood must not even know about the existence of this game. GameSpot have a page on it, at least. That's big enough proof for ya that the game came about.

I mentioned about Westwood's lack of info on the game on the HOTU forum but I was told to just e-mail the company themselves and find out from them. Bah, I thought, as if the company would even know, or care for that matter, about Sole Survivor - they don't have a page on it in their C&C page, so why should I even bother them?
Old 06 January 2002, 23:42   #6
RetroMan

I personally like this post in that thread :

Quote:
I think I will miss these "MarzAttakz requests game & BrendanD says buy it here, there or anywhere"-threads. They were rather amusing.

I am really suprised what patience BrendanD has.
:laugh
Old 07 January 2002, 01:04   #7
birdy-scc
Banned

Across the planet people are becoming more and more united as they appreciate Marz and his wayz.

The level to which these other people said the same shit, almost word-for-word, about your behaviour is almost disturbing, Marz. Even down to being annoyed by your avatar choice.

"Every time I looked at that picture, I felt like shutting its mouth. "

I joined up to that forum, and this was part of Rule 1.
Quote:
Asking "where can I download [x]?" instead of "Is [x] still sold? If so, where can I buy it?" will give us a very low opinion of you.
That seems clear enough.
Old 07 January 2002, 11:33   #8
MethodGit

But I didn't constantly say "where can I download this game?", I mostly said "where can I obtain (insert game here)?", that means "where could I buy or download it if not buyable?".

And they don't seem to appreciate my opinion on the avatar, either.
Old 07 January 2002, 12:36   #9
RetroMan

Besides all those aspects, what would you do with a download of Sole Survivor anyway ??? It´s an online-only game and you had to pay $30 for activating your acount ..... AND afaik the online server was shut down, so there is no way today to play this game, the CD would be useless to you !
Old 07 January 2002, 14:08   #10
MethodGit

Where did you get the information regarding the server and the registration thing, Retrodude? I didn't know about that. :hooooo
Old 07 January 2002, 14:20   #11
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by MarzAttakz
Where did you get the information regarding the server and the registration thing, Retrodude? I didn't know about that. :hooooo
Seems that you didn´t search Google or other Search Engines properly I guess
Old 07 January 2002, 15:09   #12
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Marz, you do have a reputation for not doing your research before asking questions in online forums. Google is one of the best things to happen to the web. Use it...you'll find more information than you thought you were looking for!

BTW: reading that thread on the Underdogs forum was very spooky, in a deja vu way...
Old 07 January 2002, 19:04   #13
Peanutuk

:-)

Again, I have haven't visited the site for a week or so and it's good to know that whilst people die, places change and times move on, sonethings sill remain.

Lets hear it for Marz!
Old 08 January 2002, 12:31   #14
Big-Byte
Long time member

Heres a fun game.. Type MarzAttaks into google and then try to find a forumn where Marz hasnt had a go at / Pissed most of the people off!

First link I went to...

http://pub48.ezboard.com/famigacd32f...icID=159.topic
Old 08 January 2002, 13:11   #15
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I liked this one:

http://pub8.ezboard.com/bgodfleshsre...gin=marzattakz