English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 31 August 2018, 09:05   #21
dissident

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis View Post
This.

It patches AvailMem to never report the fast mem (which stays unallocated), and patches AllocMem to clear the bit of FAST_MEMORY and always return CHIP_MEMORY.
Good work, alkis. So the patching could have done with SetFunction(). Just a short own header-routine to change the memory request passed over in D1 and then run the original AllocMem() function. This patch could be removed easily by resetting the LVO to the original routine.
Old 31 August 2018, 09:08   #22
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
Yes, modifying the hunks could be a solution, but fails, if the exe file itself allocates memory not correctly and doesn't request CHIP memory in particular. To be honest, modifying hunks is not something I've done yet.
If the exe file itself allocates memory not correctly, then it's a matter of patching it - something you already do for other reasons. Find calls to exec allocation functions and add the flag.

For altering the executable's header with a chipmem flag, it's not as complicated as it looks.
Get number of hunks at +8. Each one has a size longword, they start at +$14. Replace first byte (which is $00) with $40 and you're done.

Usually old intros will be single hunk and don't perform allocmems so that's a single byte to change. Don't use a tank to go shopping .
Old 31 August 2018, 09:14   #23
dissident

So, I guess, I've got a solution for my case. I tend to use the second code I posted. If it isn't enough, I will patch AllocMem(). Modifying hunks is too complex for me at the moment, but I will keep this in mind.

Thanks everyone for your good ideas and hints. As usual, I've learned something.
Old 31 August 2018, 09:20   #24
dissident

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
If the exe file itself allocates memory not correctly, then it's a matter of patching it - something you already do for other reasons. Find calls to exec allocation functions and add the flag.

For altering the executable's header with a chipmem flag, it's not as complicated as it looks.
Get number of hunks at +8. Each one has a size longword, they start at +$14. Replace first byte (which is $00) with $40 and you're done.

Usually old intros will be single hunk and don't perform allocmems so that's a single byte to change. Don't use a tank to go shopping .
Hmm, modifying the hunks seems not so complex as I thought. It will try this. Thanks for the hints, meynaf.
Old 31 August 2018, 09:42   #25
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If you use LoadSeg() and want to make this more complex and more interesting: use InternalLoadSeg(), it uses caller defined alloc/free functions..

Quote:
Less dangerous than removing the entry, would be to set priority so that chipmem is allocated first. Then, no fast mem unless the system runs out of chip.
(But don't ask me how to do that, i've tried to change priority of the mem nodes and it didn't work ).
You need to re-insert the entry (node) in correct position. Forbid() + Remove() + Enqueue() + Permit().

Memory allocator scans nodes one by one until it finds entry that succeeds in memory allocation. It does not care about priority field.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 31 August 2018 at 09:53. Reason: Enqueue, not Insert
Old 31 August 2018, 09:49   #26
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post

Memory allocator scans nodes one by one until it finds entry that succeeds in memory allocation. It does not care about priority field.
That is why normally you would Enqueue() the memory node so it gets inserted based on priority. The list indeed gets searched from top to bottom.

So why not just Remove() memory with FASTRAM attributes from the MemList?
Old 31 August 2018, 09:54   #27
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
That is why normally you would Enqueue() the memory node so it gets inserted based on priority. The list indeed gets searched from top to bottom.
Oops, I meant Enqueue().

Quote:
So why not just Remove() memory with FASTRAM attributes from the MemList?
It was already mentioned: if something (some other process, or OS internal allocation) decides to free memory that was originally allocated from fast ram: crash..
Old 31 August 2018, 10:21   #28
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
I fail to see any good use for that in a bootblock.

Such bootblocks were often used for game/demo compilations and allowed to run stuff which didn't work with fast memory.
Old 31 August 2018, 10:24   #29
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
It was already mentioned: if something (some other process, or OS internal allocation) decides to free memory that was originally allocated from fast ram: crash..
Meh, me and my lame quick thread scan skills. And you're right of course about the crash. Mem header not found.
Old 31 August 2018, 10:57   #30
sigma63

Quote:
There was already a CLI-Command for that purpose called ATOM.
It was part of assemblers/compilers in these good old days .

If you need, i can look for it.

Cheers
Old 31 August 2018, 19:40   #31
dissident

Quote:
If you use LoadSeg() and want to make this more complex and more interesting: use InternalLoadSeg(), it uses caller defined alloc/free functions..
I will keep this in mind. A good hint.

Quote:
You need to re-insert the entry (node) in correct position. Forbid() + Remove() + Enqueue() + Permit().

This is really interesting and confirms the system's list handling. Every node points to its predecessor and successor. So to insert a node at the head of the list, AddHead() could be used. Or AddTail() to append a note to the tail of the list I guess.
Old 31 August 2018, 19:44   #32
dissident

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma63 View Post
There was already a CLI-Command for that purpose called ATOM.
It was part of assemblers/compilers in these good old days .

If you need, i can look for it.

Cheers
I would be interested in that tool.
Old 31 August 2018, 20:48   #33
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
Yes, modifying the hunks could be a solution, but fails, if the exe file itself allocates memory not correctly and doesn't request CHIP memory in particular. To be honest, modifying hunks is not something I've done yet.

Yes, you got it. That's exactly what I will do.
For LoadSeg this is very easy job to do. I used hunks modification for one player, i dont remember exactly if i forced this exe player to load to chip ram ($00 to $40) or to load to fast/any ram ($40 to $00) for save some chip ram memory.

Ok. perhaps it was Amplifier version for EaglePlayer 2. For save chip ram. If FastLoading in EP2 was enabled.

Last edited by Don_Adan; 31 August 2018 at 20:55. Reason: Update