English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Demos

Old 18 January 2009, 15:59   #1
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Looking for best demos.

Hi,

I'm looking for the most impressive AGA demos that will run properly on a 50 mhz 68030 without fpu. There are many demos, and trying them all () is something that I don't want to do.

Thanks
Old 18 January 2009, 17:08   #2
mailman
Zone Friend

Check this site.
Old 18 January 2009, 19:19   #3
s4m
A1200 user

or here : http://www.pouet.net/
Old 19 January 2009, 14:04   #4
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Thanks guys But I was hoping for posts with the names of spectacular demos that people like. Anyone?
Old 19 January 2009, 14:49   #5
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

TBL's Tint was quite a jaw-dropper back then! I still have to decide if I hate or like the music though.
Captured Dreams by the same group wasn't bad either.

A pretty much underrated demo is Paranoid by Rebels, it simply rocks!

Another one worth to check out is Phase One by Capsule, Peskanov really knew how to optimize his code!

Last one for today (and still my favourite LED demo) is Remix, excellent soundtrack, great effects, simply a very enjoyable demo!
Old 19 January 2009, 15:36   #6
s4m
A1200 user

on a 1230 board you can see some excellent demos :

Ephidrena's prods are excellent but main demos are designed for 60 boards
Some excellent ephidrena's prods :

Sfumato
Fake electronic lightshow
j'_
Janne ahonen
lux aeterna luceat eis
respirator stories

I prefer write some demomakers :

Ephidrena
The Black Lotus (tbl) (some demos : Rain, Starstruck, perfect circle, ocean machine...)
Spaceballs (some demos : state of the art, Dark helmets)
Melon dezign
Lemon
Nerve Axis (pulse, relic)
CNCD
Haujobb
Dual Crew Shining (dcs)
Ozone (Fetish)
Potion
Haujobb
Scoopex
Madwizards
mankind
..........................this magic moment !!
Old 19 January 2009, 16:51   #7
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Great, some lists, now that's what I'm talking about I'm going to check'm all this week

Thanks guys, much apreciated

Anyone else who has some good recommendations?
Old 19 January 2009, 17:19   #8
extralife

there was a demo from, I believe 95, by paradox, with a squid picture, the name eludes me now grrrr was is called zif or something, check it out it's a rulezzzz!!!!!
allso check out BOMB!!! demo's, very cool
and as mr sting allready said rmx by LED, fast paced super awesome demo and it's got a COW!!!
Old 19 January 2009, 17:23   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
TBL's Tint was quite a jaw-dropper back then!
And now! As I click on the link with my manager near by (who gets a look at the pouet screen grab)

Last edited by alexh; 19 January 2009 at 17:40.
Old 19 January 2009, 17:38   #10
extralife

lol is he joining eab aswell now
Old 19 January 2009, 17:58   #11
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
there was a demo from, I believe 95, by paradox, with a squid picture, the name eludes me now grrrr was is called zif or something, check it out it's a rulezzzz!!!!!
Almost It was a demo by Parallax, winner of Assembly '95 demo compo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
and as mr sting allready said rmx by LED, fast paced super awesome demo and it's got a COW!!!
And fighting robots too! Engage \o/

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
And now! As I click on the link with my manager near by (who gets a look at the pouet screen grab)
Hehehe, he didn't like the naked chick?

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 20 January 2009 at 07:49. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 19 January 2009, 18:35   #12
extralife

aarg yes that's right parallax , as far as aga demo's go, this one ranks very, very high on my personal fav list simply bcoz it feels waay ahead of it's time and imho a much overlooked masterpiece from when amiga was moving into the expanded wilderness very nice stuff.
Not sure, but isn't cncd's deep and deep remix for 030 aswell ? check them out if so, weird style and deep remix is really cool
Old 19 January 2009, 20:22   #13
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for the most impressive AGA demos that will run properly on a 50 mhz 68030 without fpu. There are many demos, and trying them all () is something that I don't want to do.

Thanks
my advice is to get a fpu for your card and you will really notice a big difference in demo enjoyment as well as overall speed of your aga sytem...
Old 19 January 2009, 21:03   #14
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
my advice is to get a fpu for your card and you will really notice a big difference in demo enjoyment as well as overall speed of your aga sytem...
Most 030 demos don't need/use the fpu. In fact, I can't think of a single one that requires an FPU at the moment. And the FPU won't make a big difference in every day use either as it's not used by the operating system etc. so the machine won't run any faster.
Old 19 January 2009, 23:11   #15
klx300r

Quote:
Most 030 demos don't need/use the fpu. In fact, I can't think of a single one that requires an FPU at the moment. And the FPU won't make a big difference in every day use either as it's not used by the operating system etc. so the machine won't run any faster.
ahh yes 'most' don't but the best ones do and in my experience adding the fpu really sped up the load times of graphic intensive folders on my 1200 i.e my WHDLoad folder with high colour icons took forever to load in full without the fpu installed...
Old 19 January 2009, 23:23   #16
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
ahh yes 'most' don't but the best ones do
Could you please name some? I am almost 99% sure that you'll come up with demos that weren't made for 030 in the first place.

Quote:
and in my experience adding the fpu really sped up the load times of graphic intensive folders on my 1200 i.e my WHDLoad folder with high colour icons took forever to load in full without the fpu installed...
FPU is made for mathematical operations (FPU = floating point unit). And I don't see how an FPU helps when it comes to displaying icons (except maybe if they are downscaled and an fpu algorithm is used for that but it's not very likely).
Old 20 January 2009, 01:34   #17
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Just explain to them what it is and that it's not , and show them some other examples of demos as well. Should fix your problem.
Old 20 January 2009, 03:54   #18
klx300r

Quote:
Could you please name some? I am almost 99% sure that you'll come up with demos that weren't made for 030 in the first place.
hmm if memory serves me correctly some which only ran when I installed my fpu were 'cirion', 'tint' & I think a wing commander demo...there were quite a few others but the names escape me now...also I noticed immediatley that even demos that ran quite well without my fpu definitely ran quicker and smoother once my fpu was installed....another noticeable improvement is when playing Adoom (eventhough the docs say an fpu is not required to play the game).

Quote:
FPU is made for mathematical operations (FPU = floating point unit). And I don't see how an FPU helps when it comes to displaying icons (except maybe if they are downscaled and an fpu algorithm is used for that but it's not very likely).
...i dont know either as the last programming course I took was C++ in university about 14 years ago now but what I do know is that the fpu really quickens up my workbench when opening folders with large icon intensive folders...perhaps it may be contributed to my Indivision AGA kicking out hi-res graphics with the maximum colours and backdrop that OS 3.5 will allow
Old 20 January 2009, 09:50   #19
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
hmm if memory serves me correctly some which only ran when I installed my fpu were 'cirion', 'tint' & I think a wing commander demo...there were quite a few others but the names escape me
Neither Tint nor Wing Commander require or use the FPU.

Quote:
now...also I noticed immediatley that even demos that ran quite well without my fpu definitely ran quicker and smoother once my fpu was installed....
There are demos that use different cpu/fpu routines according to the detected system configuration so it is possible. It would however be interesting to know which demos ran quicker and smoother once you installed the FPU.

Quote:
another noticeable improvement is when playing Adoom (eventhough the docs say an fpu is not required to play the game).
ADoom most probably uses FPU optimized routine when it detects an FPU so this is very well possible.

Quote:
...i dont know either as the last programming course I took was C++ in university about 14 years ago now but what I do know is that the fpu really quickens up my workbench when opening folders with large icon intensive folders...perhaps it may be contributed to my Indivision AGA kicking out hi-res graphics with the maximum colours and backdrop that OS 3.5 will allow
I have no idea (never used OS 3.5) but I highly doubt that the FPU is used for things like that.
Old 25 January 2009, 22:26   #20
DH
Global Moderator

Check this out Thorham, http://www.mindcandydvd.com/frames?p=demos

The first 12 demos will run on a plain, classic Amiga 500. The rest will require an A1200 or better with AGA graphics and at least a 68020 CPU (preferably a 68030 or 040)

These, I believe, are from the demoscene parties, maybe even the winners, so these should be right up your street

btw. For anyone who's interested, Mindcandy give you all the up and coming Active Demoscene Parties + their Websites. I am sure this will interest some of you.

Last edited by DH; 25 January 2009 at 22:44.