English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 April 2024, 23:36   #21
pandy71

Pin 19 in Amiga SCART cable transporting only composite sync pulse - there is no video there (not sure about your Amiga model but normally only CSYNC signal is there) - if you have some leak of video it is probably related to TV itself - most common analog switches provide approx 40dB (or less) isolation so... it may be visible...
On your place i would invest in some active VGA splitter (used on ebay? - something like this https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Dist.../dp/B017ELL7RW ) and use it as active splitter for SCART (should work fine) - you need only Amiga to VGA adapter (passive).

Other VGA active splitters:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BLZDY6A
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0882TBB1G

Realized that you talking about TV perspective i.e. pin 19 is CVBS going from TV internal tuner - strange - with proper 75 Ohm load there should be no visible signal leak there - also it is not clear to me how nowadays TV tuner can output any video signal there if there is no analog signal broadcast - if digital tuner provide signal then this probably can be turned off in config...

Last edited by pandy71; 07 April 2024 at 00:02.
Old 10 April 2024, 22:20   #22
Angus
Amiga Games Database

My SCART leads arrived today and I got straight in there with my pliers and twisted off pin 19 (TV end). It seems to have done the trick, I can see no ghosted images floating about now.

It's not perfect there is still a bit of "fizzle" in there but I don't think I'll be able to improve it much more and I'm pretty happy with what I've got.... though I'll be keeping an eye on it.
Old 13 April 2024, 21:35   #23
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
There are a couple of factors involved, but in general, yes, there's a good chance the signal strength would be reduced, resulting in a darker image and potentially other issues too.

You were not wrong I did some tests today, and if I have the splitter going to both the TV and to the recorder, I get a much darker result than if I remove the SCART from the splitter to the TV (I can monitor things with the HDMI out from the recorder).

Also, just going through the splitter is slightly darker than if I plug the Amiga SCART directly into the recorder (via the HDMI converter) but it's a slight difference and I quite like the softer, less punchy result.

I need a magic SCART switching box from the nineties.
Old 13 April 2024, 22:36   #24
sittingduck

I have a Terratec Grabster MX 350, which is a USB-capture box with scart input. It is well regarded on the Videohelp Forum. I'm gonna use it for digitizing old VHS tapes, and for the small amount I've used it, it does provide very good quality. Using a clean Amiga signal would be ideal compared to old VHS tapes. You might be able to find one on ebay or the likes.
Old 13 April 2024, 23:21   #25
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck View Post
I have a Terratec Grabster MX 350, which is a USB-capture box with scart input. It is well regarded on the Videohelp Forum. I'm gonna use it for digitizing old VHS tapes, and for the small amount I've used it, it does provide very good quality. Using a clean Amiga signal would be ideal compared to old VHS tapes. You might be able to find one on ebay or the likes.
It doesn't support component (RGB) - it only support composite and S-Video signals.