English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 February 2024, 10:59   #121
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
a lot of interviews, strange nobody asked the specific question to Chahi
Because there is no questionning about that IMHO.
Old 15 February 2024, 11:11   #122
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Because there is no questionning about that IMHO.
a strange sentence after two pages of discussion about
just to clarify how he was working in specific, combining the time with the two machines

seems a day with more than 24 hours, ofc doing what you love
Old 15 February 2024, 22:33   #123
Megalomaniac

Another World isn't a favourite of mine, but it does fit all the definitions of an iconic Amiga game, not only very associated with the machine (used in adverts for a time, even) but also largely developed on the Amiga, and breaking new ground in terms of how cinematic an actiony game could feel. It probably could have existed without the Amiga existing, but even the other versions probably wouldn't have been as good, as probably not as quick to develop either. I'm surprised it took so long into this thread to be mentioned.
Old 16 February 2024, 00:57   #124
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

We're just in too deep. We know way too much and we have our opinions way too ingrained. Thus, I think this question has to be settled from outside of the Amiga realm. People who played on the Amiga and were familiar with it back then but were not amigans or didn't get to develop a strong sentimental attachment to it. With this thread in mind and armed with a little time, I went to my old pals and asked a simple question: "When I talk to you about the Amiga, what game comes to mind?"

I asked about 20 of them and while some gave some surprising answers (like "Beach Volley"), others gave some more expected ones ("Alien Breed", "Pang", "Speedball 2" or "Pinball Dreams") the answer that I heard the most - and I would consider the one that people from outside the Amiga world associate with the Amiga the most - was simply "Sensible Soccer".

"Vox populi, vox Dei."
Old 18 February 2024, 11:03   #125
kremiso

David Whittaker before and after Shadow of the Beast :

Q: Which pieces of music do you consider to be the best you made?
A: I don't like anything I do because when I've finished writing it, I am sick of hearing it but, going of other people's comments
I would say that Panther on the C64 and Stormbringer on the Spectrum 128K would tie.

https://st-news.com/issues/st-news-v...avid-whittaker

What was the most difficult tune to write, technically?

David: "Shadow of the Beast", on the Amiga. Because it had to be really good, and different.

https://www.karsmakers.nl/metal-e-zine/david.htm
Old 18 February 2024, 12:52   #126
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Lemmings was the game H&P used for the StormC toolbar and Commodore staff dressed up as. Mindwalker was one of the very first games, was published by Commodore, uses the OS and has the lowest system requirements. So it would probably be one of these two. Or possibly a late Amiga-only masterpiece, eg. DOTC2 or Zeewolf.

Last edited by Minuous; 18 February 2024 at 12:59.
Old 10 April 2024, 08:01   #127
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
a lot of interviews, strange nobody asked the specific question to Chahi

prob he was programming on Amiga, and then tranferring the code on ST, day by day
Seems clear here.

https://ichbiah.com/chahi.htm

Quote:
Initially, Chahi hesitates on a point. Should he develop Another World on the Amiga or on the more widely used Atari ST? Before making a decision, he first tries to determine whether it's possible to display enough polygons on the Atari ST. After a few attempts, it turns out that this is entirely feasible.

Despite his initial unconvincing experience with C programming on the Atari, development tools have evolved, but Chahi fails to find what he's looking for.

Moreover, after a few months of experimenting, Chahi eventually opted to create the initial version of Another World on the Amiga.

"The Amiga remained the machine with the best visual and sound rendering. Plus, Deluxe Paint was only available on the Amiga. Additionally, as I had learned at Chip, it was easier to create games with thousands of colors and then reduce that number on another machine, rather than the reverse."
[...]
"It was really makeshift. Fortunately, there are always solutions to problems. Since real-time digitization didn't exist, I used a Genlock that allowed mixing on the Amiga.

In fact, this factor motivated me to work on the Amiga: it was possible to mix a video image and a computer image; the background color revealed the video image."
Old 10 April 2024, 16:02   #128
kremiso

good one, thanks for sharing it
there is the usual not great french to italian browser translation effect
had some laughs, surely better translated in english