English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 05 May 2015, 22:01   #1
Kitty

Capturing WinUAE with Camtasia Studio Question

I been capturing some videos with Camtasia and Winvice for a while now with pretty good results albeit a little laggy on the scroller part of demos.
I have a couple of questions regarding Camtasia and using it to capture gameplay/rolling demos.

Now I have a pretty good pc and graphics card and memory but it seems to me that something is stopping camtasia from actually capturing at a decent framerate on certain emulators. I also noticed that max frame rate for camtasia is 30fps and you can't change this to any higher?

So far I have tried WinVice and WinUAE with 'not bad' results for WinVice and awful results with WinUAE. I still feel that I must be doing something wrong somewhere. Particularly on demos the scroller seems to end up a little jerky.

I'm using my test rig which while lower specs than my games machine I still feel should be good enough for video capture, see specs below.

Windows 7 64bit
Intel i5 3.5Ghz Quad Core
16GB ram
2GB AMD RADEON™ R9 270

I can capture WinUAE 'ok' with some lag to scrollers if loading via adf the regular way but if I use my CWB setup with WHDLoad games/demos the lag is terrible and WinUAE frames drop drastically.

Anyone know how to set up Camtasia correctly for WinUAE, I did see a thread on eab by Del.. but his write up left me a little confused.

Maybe Camtasia isn't the best program to use for WinUAE capture and if not what is?

Many thanks for your time,

Christina/Kitty

Last edited by Kitty; 05 May 2015 at 22:16.
Old 05 May 2015, 22:54   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Camstasia is the problem if its only capturing at 30frames a second.
Old 06 May 2015, 02:09   #3
Kitty

I managed to figure out how to change the frame-rate to higher so I made it 60fps and tried capturing winvice with much the same results. Capture seems ok apart from scroller seems jerky.
I will update my graphics drivers and see if that makes any difference although I doubt it would.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 06 May 2015, 02:14   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi, have you tried capturing with FRAPS then you can edit with camtasia later. FRAPS captures 60fps just fine, that's what I've used to capture some online racing and then edit with pinnacle studio after.

I can try it with winuae and let you know how I get on if you like?
Old 06 May 2015, 04:41   #5
Cobe

Have you tried to record video with WinVice in-built recorder? It needs ffmpeg codec installed. I used it once and it did a job on MSI Wind(Camtasia didn't, I tried).

[ Show youtube player ]

I'd say that scroller in my video isn't the best also, but I don't remember maybe there were some settings to adjust.
Old 06 May 2015, 08:11   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You are not going to get glitch free captures using external capture programs and never use fastest possible mode when capturing (using any method), it is going to work even worse. Only approximate/cycle-exact CPU speed can work.

(No guarantee that internal works properly either because it is really too boring to improve.)
Old 06 May 2015, 09:48   #7
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

@Kitty,

Here's a quick Video I captured with Fraps:

[ Show youtube player ]

It's the NTSC version of Turrican so running at 60fps and captured at 60fps. (Note I used Studio to convert it to 720p so that YouTube will accept it as a 60fps Video)

You must also select 720/60 in the YouTube settings to watch it in 60fps. (I found that you can only View 60fps Video's in Chrome by the way)

I also captured some Jim Power but that was at 50fps (PAL) so not much use for this test although on my PC it was also smooth (captured in 50fps)

Good luck with your Video's

Steve.

ps. excuse the poor gameplay
Old 06 May 2015, 11:30   #8
Kitty

thanks for the tips guys, I will definitely try all options out.
fitzteve this looks like the best way, that video is nice and smooth
Old 06 May 2015, 11:40   #9
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
thanks for the tips guys, I will definitely try all options out.
fitzteve this looks like the best way, that video is nice and smooth
Glad to help