English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 11 September 2009, 01:29   #141
Cammy

Hey Zetr0, just wondering if you had considered getting the PCBs made in China? I know another Amiga hardware maker who gets all his PCBs made there, and then assembles the boards himself at home.
Old 11 September 2009, 01:46   #142
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Hiyas Cammy,

I have tried to chinese companies a the begining of last month, alas they have a similar problem with the board (track widths problem again), the three I have tried here in the UK and Germany although can produce the board, they have a £100+ tooling cost and then price per board (without compoenents or assembly) ranges from £20 - £35 for a run of 25 units, although this cost is only slightly reduced (£9 - £14) on a batch run of 250 units. (scairy prices to be honest!)

When i contact futurlec last month I was told that they COULD make the board to specification, after bumbling around for two weeks with different file types for gerbers files! it turns out they can not. (2 weeks absolutely f* wasted >)

From this I have started some work on a new design based on LVD's work, but this will be for batch 2, as batch 1 will now be made in Russia, its the only quick way I can , its been way to long getting the process this far... and I am nearly out of hair lol

But my dear Camstah' If you know of any chinese company specfically or perhapas if you send me contact details of the other amiga hardware make I could compare notes with him/her =) I would appreciate it =)
Old 13 September 2009, 18:16   #143
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Zetr0 - you say that batch 1 will now be made in Russia?

As far as i can tell, the quality of said-boards has been raised previously i believe, (see Photon's words "really is acting up") could you please confirm your thoughts on the matter?

I currently have a reserve of 2 boards in Batch 1, but i would honestly be willing to defer one of those to batch 2 if it meant getting at least one better quality board.

Having waited this amount of time, i'd rather that tbh, possibly even on both boards (depending on timescale of course... it would be nice to WHDify my a600 at last!)

OT: re: "zetr0 mcewan", this had been on the tags since the thread began, and i think it was more a comment on being a 'leader' than on anything else.
Old 13 September 2009, 19:03   #144
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

If you do decide to back out of batch one Horace, I would galdly take one of your allocated boards.

Many thanks
Magno
Old 13 September 2009, 19:28   #145
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Horace

My friend, I cannot comment on previous batches from the Russia, only the ones here my friend,

Out of the previous 10 units there were made in Russia only one had a fault and that was down to the cpu connector, either in transit or when I was manhandling it (while testing) it cracked the CPU socket, its a common fault and weakest point in the hardware, its also easy to miss and do!.

With a knowledge of this, and appropriate handling its still a good design, at the end of the day its designed to be a affordable as possible and any PCB that is built over here, will be tested rigorously before dispatch.

But with all things electrictical there is always that chance an error to creep-in over a short space of time and or a unit thats DOA. This is why there is a 1 year warrenty on the ones I (and TheCorfiot) will be producing, this ensures confidence in the product and process.

I dont want anyone here thinking that I am here to make profit, my drive on this project is for the community that I love =)

man I am a little thrashed... I have just got back from the retr0-reunited in 'uddersfiled met some great guys there!
Old 13 September 2009, 23:08   #146
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magno Boots View Post
If you do decide to back out of batch one Horace, I would galdly take one of your allocated boards.

Many thanks
Magno
Hi Magno. I am considering taking only one from Batch 1 and one from Batch 2 (as a swap, not 'backing out'!) however, its not my choice who I would swap with, and I dont think it would be fair to make it my choice either.

I expect it will be whoever is first in the Batch 1 queue who gets one a bit early!

Zetr0: have sent you a PM, just to let you know my further thoughts on the matter. hope you dont mind
Old 13 September 2009, 23:12   #147
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
Zetr0 - you say that batch 1 will now be made in Russia?

As far as i can tell, the quality of said-boards has been raised previously i believe, (see Photon's words "really is acting up") could you please confirm your thoughts on the matter?

I currently have a reserve of 2 boards in Batch 1, but i would honestly be willing to defer one of those to batch 2 if it meant getting at least one better quality board.

Having waited this amount of time, i'd rather that tbh, possibly even on both boards (depending on timescale of course... it would be nice to WHDify my a600 at last!)

OT: re: "zetr0 mcewan", this had been on the tags since the thread began, and i think it was more a comment on being a 'leader' than on anything else.
Yeah, mine was LordVader's design which I bought used, don't confuse this with Zetr0's new design! I just gave my input on the track width post. Well, I understand the first batch thing. So. If it's easy to up the track width by making the board for the tested batch slightly larger, I think it would increase reliability and allow more sourcing options.
Old 28 September 2009, 10:50   #148
Cammy

Hi Zetr0, I'm really sorry I haven't got back to you with any details on this Chinese PCB manufacturer. My friend who makes the Amiga hardware has stopped talking to me, so I'm unable to pass on any details.
Old 28 September 2009, 15:50   #149
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Cammy

no worries, I am in the midst of redesigning the board to be more european manufacturey tollerant anyway LOL
Old 11 October 2009, 19:19   #150
lolafg

hello Zetro ,

do you have some more news ?

Thanks in advance
Old 11 October 2009, 21:25   #151
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

yes.... I still have more routing to do, and to clear this lot by LVD, but these following image link will explain all..

I have a mock up (non-electrically wired) board, to test it physically with.

LVD A608 Mk3 Proto

unfortunately this last week has been a time crippler, and I haven't had that much time in routing the board, the board is just a re-design of LVD's it doens't offer anything new or more... the SIMM socket is there for a manufacturing benfit and wont offer different simm sizes, it will come populated with 8MB as standard.

As with LVD's A608 Mk2 there will be a jumper header to select memory size. this board is a concept, when I get the proto-manufactured by Futurlec (maybe next week if the wind is blowing correctly) then I will know for certain that this model can be manufactured at a reasonalbe cost to everyone.

Theres is only 1 inclusion on this board, and thats the power connector, this is so that power is NOT taken from the CPU port, but distributed from the power connector to both the Memory and the CPLD.
Old 12 October 2009, 18:29   #152
lolafg

Ok thank you for all your work on this
Old 12 October 2009, 18:41   #153
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolafg View Post
Ok thank you for all your work on this
you guys (and girls) are worth it.... theres been a couple of very low moments in the project where I nearly canceled it and refunded everyone.

then I thought, even if I do that, this would not beat me...

but in all truth, IF ANYONE would like a refund, please just PM me, and I will make it so.
Old 12 October 2009, 20:27   #154
Lakes

Did you get my PM Zetro?

Are you still accepting reserve orders for these?

Thanks.
Old 12 October 2009, 21:02   #155
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Lakes

oops!

sorry, I complete missed it... nestled between all the other PM's, I am truly sorry!

At the moment you can register interest in the next batch by signing up here-

www.a608-amiga.co.uk

at the moment, I have to redesign the board to make it practical for production in europe, somthing I was not planning on doing, but hey, I can step up to the plate as it were.
Old 12 October 2009, 21:25   #156
Lakes

Thanks, will do.
Old 17 October 2009, 15:00   #157
AVH_2009
A1200ERC

A608 Remake

Hi Zetro!
When will be the new version of the A608 be ready to use?
I have registered for 2 and still waiting for the rebirth of this fine projekt.
Many thanks for this great job.
Silvio
Old 17 October 2009, 20:46   #158
TjLaZer

This is a great project, please don't give up on it as we are all greatful!

I am wondering though, how are users mounting the HD's when this is installed? Any pics?
Old 17 October 2009, 21:02   #159
Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
This is a great project, please don't give up on it as we are all greatful!

I am wondering though, how are users mounting the HD's when this is installed? Any pics?
I was wondering about that as well.
Old 18 October 2009, 13:12   #160
xc8
no c= no fun

you have to 'relocate' (put it over the PCMCIA area) the HD using a longer cable. something like this (10cm) http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11466

Chris