English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 14 June 2020, 10:37   #1
amigatime

Floppy disk Can't Get Kickstart 2.05 to Recognise CF Card

Hi,

I'm trying to configure a 4GB Transcend CompactFlash card in WinUAE so that I can use it in my A600 with a 44-pin IDE-CF adapter (V.H2). I'm using a 'King of Flash' USB CF reader on a Windows 10 machine.

I can only see the drive in HDToolbox (or HDInstTools) if I tell WinUAE to run a Kickstart 3.0 or 3.1 ROM. If I run a 2.05 ROM, HDToolbox shows 'Driver not installed', while HDInstTools tells me in German 'Keine Gerate gefunden'. Google Translate tells me this means 'No devices found', but I could have probably guessed that.

Have I missed something fundamental here? I've tried setting up the hard drive in WinUAE as 'UAE uaehf.device' and also 'IDE (auto)', but neither works.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm itching to get this running on my A600!

Thanks
Old 14 June 2020, 11:25   #2
thomas

For uaehf.device you need to tell HDToolbox to use that. Either put SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device in the icon tooltypes or run HDToolbox from the shell as hdtoolbox uaehf.device.

For "IDE (auto)" you have to configure WinUAE to use an A600 chipset and remove tooltypes from HDToolbox.

In any case you have to run WinUAE as administrator to access the real CF card.
Old 14 June 2020, 15:13   #3
amigatime

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
For uaehf.device you need to tell HDToolbox to use that. Either put SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device in the icon tooltypes or run HDToolbox from the shell as hdtoolbox uaehf.device.

For "IDE (auto)" you have to configure WinUAE to use an A600 chipset and remove tooltypes from HDToolbox.

In any case you have to run WinUAE as administrator to access the real CF card.
That works, thank you
Old 14 June 2020, 20:47   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Running winuae as admin is not necessarily required when using CF cards, I don't even remember when I last needed it. I think it depends on Windows version and drivers.

Other types of drives (USB, IDE etc) usually require admin.