English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 February 2002, 03:30   #21
APFelon
Cable Buyer

Firsts...

What a fun topic.

I can't remember my first PC game, but the one I remember most is the Ancient Art of War. I never played PC games unless I was visiting my cousin. I thought my Commodore 64 blew the PC away (gameswise, which for a pre-teen was everything) until about 1991.

Like Jmmijo, my first Amiga game was Firepower. Wanton destruction and digital screams...
Old 19 February 2002, 03:44   #22
jmmijo

Re: Firsts...

Quote:
Originally posted by APFelon
What a fun topic.
Thanks

Quote:
Like Jmmijo, my first Amiga game was Firepower. Wanton destruction and digital screams...
Yes, to me thats what made the game, oh the carnage
Old 19 February 2002, 03:57   #23
Nian

First PC and Amiga Game?

Hrm were going back a bit arn't we!
Ok hrm the first amiga game I ever played was "Indiana Jones and the last crusade" adventure. It came with my A500 Starter kit, that was followed in the same day by KickOff2 and F/a-18 Interceptor. All kicked ass in those days and as I only ever played a C64 before then well the amiga won my heart.
as for the PC the first game I had ever played on it was an old CGA game called Digger, it was a DrFruit clone and was a little BullDozer collecting gems.
Old 19 February 2002, 05:22   #24
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
Twist : Jazz Jackrabbit was the only time I saw a game on the PC that appealed to me. And it was clearly designed to look like an Amiga game.

Look like an Amiga game? I don't think I saw an amiga game with the furious speed and that style before. To me it seemed more like what you'd find on a console system.
I disagree. What about Robocod, Trolls, Zool, and many others that oozed sweetness and had speed-a-plenty?
Old 19 February 2002, 07:33   #25
Drake1009

Well I'd say as Jimmijo pointed out that to me Jazz jackrabbit seemed more like Sonic.

The games Twist mentions were indeed good games too, but for me it's like there's still a lot of difference both graphics style and gameplay wise. In none of those games do you really shoot.

Actually if you take Trolls it was good graphics wrapped around a fairly uninspired platformer which (at least to me) made it fairly boring to play after a while. That isn't to say I stopped playing it though.
Old 19 February 2002, 09:55   #26
Fissuras
Old Luny

@jmmijo, I played the original (floppy disk, XT with CGA colour graphics). I played it first at a friendĀ“s house. After that I could get no rest till I put my hands on a PC. When I've got one, this was the first game I copied.

But now, I remember when I bought the PC (or better, when my father bought me one), it came with a few games like Digger and Alley Cat. A I remember also playing Firepower on it.
Old 19 February 2002, 18:54   #27
Amiga1992

IMO, Mr. Nutz is Sonic for the Amiga. It's got the style and the speed, but the levels layout do not let him get as much speed as it could. Something that Kid Chaos had, you could make that bastard run mighty fast.

I still preffer Mr. Nutz for its Sonic-ity
Old 19 February 2002, 19:49   #28
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Ah, a nice thread. I never owned an Amiga, as I was too poor. I owned an Atari St. This was sold to me by a freind who used that money to help pay for an Amiga 1200. So I was at his home playing Amiga games ALOT
Anyway, this cretin is now a PeeCee freak, and I remember when, in 1992, he showed me the PC version of Secret of Monkey Island. I was rabidly devouring the Amiga version (I liked it so much, I bought the Atari version. Actually, my freind did. He must have been ill of me staying up and playing it while he tried to sleep).
I must say, the difference was neglible. Thusly, I was surprised indeed. I had seen the IBM version of Hot Rod and Defender of the Crown, 2 of my fave Amiga games, and was appalled by the EGA/CGA garbage. And when my freind purchased Microprose's
B 17 Bomber, I was shocked. it looked better than the Amiga version. This game, incedentally, is what got me to become a flight sim fanatic
So overall, I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised at playing my first PC games. What games there were, were the same as those as Amiga\Atari St. What we have now, though, is pure, souless garbage, with occasional gems such as IL-2 Sturmovik and Sim City 3000.
Old 20 February 2002, 01:33   #29
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

FIREPOWER! What an absolute classic! I loved it!

Anyway, my first game on Miggy was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and I thought it was really cool. It was the first game i played because it came boxed with the Amiga 500, along with F 18 Interceptor and Kick Off.

The first game I ever played on my PC was a game that resembled classic Amiga games- Tyrain, and I loved it, so much that i went on to complete it. For some reason, ever since I upgraded my PC a few years ago, i refuses to run. Oh well...
Old 20 February 2002, 02:03   #30
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
Ah, a nice thread. I never owned an Amiga, as I was too poor.....
The main reason we could all afford Amiga's was because we are really just filthy whores :laugh :laugh

Last edited by jmmijo; 21 February 2002 at 08:25.
Old 21 February 2002, 08:19   #31
Zeewolf

The 1st game for the Amiga was Defender of the Crown & I think for the pc it was an Ultima game but Im not quite sure which one.
Well I know it was some kind of RPG anyway!

Old 21 February 2002, 08:26   #32
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeewolf
The 1st game for the Amiga was Defender of the Crown & I think for the pc it was an Ultima game but Im not quite sure which one.
Well I know it was some kind of RPG anyway!
It could have been the Underground titles then as they were actually quite good for there day, I still have them on the re-released CD-ROM combo package
Old 22 February 2002, 00:14   #33
Djay
95th User

the first Amiga game i played was Defender of the Crown, on a friends A1000, i had a C64 at the time and was blown away!

the first i played on MY A500, was Shadow of the Beast 2 (it was packed with the machine and the graphics on the box looked amazing), the gameplay sucked a little... [i think it was the Screen Gems pack but can't be sure], the first game i bought was Xenon....... SECTOR ONE!

the first PC i played was Wolfenstein at college, and the first PC game i played on MY PC was Quake (mainly because i'd heard it was the best thing since sliced bread and i'd just bought a machine that could play game well!)

the weird thing is the first game i played using WinUAE, was Defender of the Crown, talk about full-circle.
Old 23 February 2002, 04:36   #34
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

The 1st Amiga game I ever played was Wings of Fury. I already said that in the "1st amiga game you ever witnessed" thread
When I got my Amiga, I got lots of disks with pirated games, and I believe the 1st one I runned was R-Type 2. I never bought any original Amiga games, because here in Brazil, this was something stupid to do at that time.

The 1st PC game I ever played was... Wolfestein 3D, I believe. The 1st one I played on MY PC was probably Stunts. Or Theme Park, I am not sure. Anyway, I think Theme Park sucks, while Stunts I still keep playing it today.

The 1st PC game I bought original was.... let see if I can remember .... Rebel Assault II , I guess. Unlike most people, I like that game a lot, even although it's just a shooting galery with great gfx and sounds. Maybe it's because I love Star Wars. or the atmosphere, I don't know. But I already had MDK original, it was a gift from a friend.

The 1st game I runned in an Amiga Emulator (DOSUAE ! anyone remember that? ) was The New Zealand Story. I was just SOOOO happy to see an amiga game running on my PC (It was my 1st try to emulate anything on PC.)
Old 23 February 2002, 09:50   #35
Drake1009

I remember trying to make DosUAE run, but missing the kick.rom I didn't get very far.
Old 23 February 2002, 19:16   #36
giovacappo

My first Amiga game was Bouncer, a clone of Arkanoid that I found in a collection of ten games in 2 disk of Wicked Software (I never found the ADFs). Other games were Paccie (Pacman), Space Invader, Othello.

My first PC game was Warcraft II.

Old 23 February 2002, 21:48   #37
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by giovacappo
My first PC game was Warcraft II.
Ah a classic, I have the Warcraft Battle Chest, it included all the Warcraft series of games
Old 23 February 2002, 23:40   #38
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

Cool batman the movie

My first ever game on the Amiga was Batman the Movie - which I love even today, especially the platform levels in the chemical factory and the cathedral - brilliant!
On the PC it was Doom 2 - a game I first played on the Apple Mac.
Currently it is HalfLife TFC - I have just got 512K broadband (today) and now it is S*** hot!!!
Old 23 February 2002, 23:47   #39
Djay
95th User

@Jherek

Quote:
I have just got 512K broadband (today) and now it is S*** hot!!!
isn't great
Old 23 February 2002, 23:50   #40
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

Question eh?

Sorry DJay, whaddaya mean?