English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 26 June 2017, 06:46   #21
Mrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Then post a picture of the WinUAE filter please. Still not convinced.

edit: Ok, these filter looks a lot better than the D3D filter. But still not an authentic CRT look i remember from the 1084 and Microvitec monitors back than. Way too heavy melted pixels/distorted edges

DirectDraw Super 2xSai

DirectDraw Super Eagle

Workbench DirectDraw WB Super2xSai

Workbench DirectDraw WB Super Eagle

as you can see on your pics workbench and the game ruffNtumble looks fantastic
super eagle or super 2xsai offer the most accurate image close to a 1084s or cm8833
2xsai filter is the original one but a bit more blurry, the previous 2 are based on this but are more sharp

Those filter works better on a good CRT monitor instead an LCD display, those filters were created in 1999 and the earlier 2000s to be used with emulators and CRT displays, however the image of those filters in an LCD panel is not very accurate but good anyways

Last edited by Mrz; 26 June 2017 at 06:52.
Old 26 June 2017, 06:53   #22
McTrinsic

I Second the first post .

The filters are an awesome option.

They make the games look much ... Hm, maybe ... appropriate these days on big screens??
Old 26 June 2017, 07:04   #23
Mrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djole501 View Post
Conclusion==filters suck;
well If your view is malfunctioning ie cataract,astigmatism etc you will see the image more blurry you will not need filters
due 99% of the Amiga users are 40 years old + I suggest everyone not needing filters in winuae I suggest you go to the doctor to check the vision
Old 26 June 2017, 08:25   #24
nobody

Get real. I have a CRT in front of me that is connected to RGB real hardware. These filters don't "look like a CRT", they just fix edges of pixels, so that it looks like higher resolution.
You need very high resolution on PC, around 4k or more to do a proper CRT filter.
Old 26 June 2017, 11:36   #25
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
You need very high resolution on PC, around 4k or more to do a proper CRT filter.
Sadly that's true. But i can live with the existent CRT/scanline shaders. Some are really nice.

@Mrz: can't check the emulation on CRT anymore. But i assume the distorted edges, especially for texts/fonts, are there too (less heavy). This has nothing to do with a realistic CRT look.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 26 June 2017 at 11:47.
Old 26 June 2017, 12:08   #26
nobody

Plus that there is an aperture grille, and scanlines that add depth to image. Dark areas have thick scanlines and they are separated from light areas. The picture is not blurry, is crisp clear and pixels are there but with a rounded grainy look.
Old 01 July 2017, 02:21   #27
Foebane
Banned

That second Turrican picture looks BLOODY AWFUL - honestly, who wastes their time with this blasphemy?

I didn't like the later screenshots with the scanlines, neither - what IS this obsession with scanlines? I prefer to see pure pixels all by themselves, with all the nice subtle AGA gradients in demos - having scanlines destroys all of that subtlety.
Old 01 July 2017, 07:03   #28
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I didn't like the later screenshots with the scanlines, neither - what IS this obsession with scanlines? I prefer to see pure pixels all by themselves, with all the nice subtle AGA gradients in demos - having scanlines destroys all of that subtlety.
Because the graphics look like they're back at home with scanlines.

(Open in new tab for integer scaling)

Last edited by nobody; 01 July 2017 at 07:08.
Old 01 July 2017, 13:31   #29
Marcuz

I dislike filters as well; I don't know if pixelart is a medium that was born back then to display a scene, whatever scene, because and around the constraints of the technology, or if there was, since the start, an intent to show such scene as a Lego like construction, but in the end it's its own thing, different from any other.

It has nothing to do with nostalgia, it's a method, a medium on its own.

Pedro Medeiros, a pixelartist making great tiny weekly tutorials, has a Patreon feed that is in itself a good and immediate visual display of how pixelart is what it is:
https://www.patreon.com/saint11/posts?tag=tutorial

While, in regards the LCD vs CRT, Cyangmou, of Tower57 shares this interesting nugget:

With an explanation and interesting discussion in its twitter link:
https://twitter.com/cyangmou/status/876795711131709440

What filters are good in Winuae is basically being a curio, but to each his own.
Old 01 July 2017, 13:49   #30
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Sure, today you can draw improved lores bitmap graphics with LCDs in mind. But for the old games i prefer a good CRT filter anytime.

Or much better, connect the PC to a good CRT TV which is painfull though. No real RGB video out without adapters, and newer graphics cards (drivers) won't allow lores resolutions anymore.
Old 01 July 2017, 13:55   #31
nobody

Old 03 July 2017, 20:44   #32
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Sadly that's true. But i can live with the existent CRT/scanline shaders. Some are really nice.

Wow!

Now that gives a feeling of nostalgia. The pixel smoothing filters are terrible to my taste, but this is awesome. Thanks, you've given me a reason to go play the golden oldies again
Old 04 July 2017, 09:57   #33
Dr.Venom

Quote:
Or much better, connect the PC to a good CRT TV which is painfull though. No real RGB video out without adapters, and newer graphics cards (drivers) won't allow lores resolutions anymore.
You may want to read up on CRT-Emudriver, a patched video driver that allows low res on fairly recent AMD cards. The only other thing you would need is a suitable VGA to SCART cable, for which there are schematics online (if you're into soldering yourself) or otherwise buy them online.

Driver: http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/foru...pic.php?id=295

VGA -> SCART cable schematic: http://www.geocities.ws/podernixie/h....html#vgascart

For example Wolfsoft sells VGA -> SCART cable that nicely provides power via attached USB to activate RGB mode on televisions (not needed with traditional Commodore monitors like 1084 etc.) : http://www.wolfsoft.de/shop/product_...io-klinke.html