English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 October 2018, 19:36   #1
WildW

Choosing an Amiga - advice please

Hi folks - looking for some info to help me choose which Amiga to buy. I've been without a real one for a while now, and although I have a reasonable emulation setup it's not the same as the real deal.

I started off on an A500 back in the day but eventually replaced it with an A1200 and did the WHDLoad thing. I think I would like one of these two options, but I'm torn. When I had the 1200 I did often come across compatibility issues with games, and I do like to explore obscure games and PD disks. It seems like the 1200 is great for anything converted to WHDLoad, but other things can be a pain. Can using Relokick type disks solve most of these issues if you know what you're doing? I spent an age unsuccessfully trying to play Microprose Soccer from a floppy before I eventually found a WHDLoad version.

The 500 appeals more for nostalgia and compatibility with older titles, but I know it's far less easy to upgrade one or get software onto the thing. Seems like a Gotek drive is probably the easiest path now, but I don't really want to hack an A500 case apart, or have one hanging out the edges. Compact Flash on the 1200 was so convenient in comparison. Stupid as it sounds I could consider using a Gotek as an external drive to copy onto real floppies. I know serial cables are a (slow) route too. Any other options?

The ECS machines seem like a half-way house that solve neither problem - not as fully compatible as an A500, not as capable as a 1200. Though maybe an A600 with a rom switcher? Just confused and overthinking things at the moment. Any helpful advice appreciated.
Old 27 October 2018, 19:45   #2
crazyc

From a games perspective I would have to say a1200 with an accelerator myself...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 27 October 2018, 22:03   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
A1200
Old 27 October 2018, 23:51   #4
d4rk3lf

A1200... there's no incompatibility issues now (from my knowledge) with WHDLoad games.

Amiga 500 with Aca 500 + (my machine) or vampire, or terrible fire is also a great option. You got extra ram, extra processor speed, and can use CF cards to store many games and apps.

But... if you have money... best bet is A1200 with some accelerator and CF card.
Old 28 October 2018, 00:13   #5
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Raspberry Pi with RetroPie and/or Amiberry.

This is kind of my thinking...

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

I still have sn Amiga 1200 just for nostalgic reasons, but RPi is only one hooked to tv. (and still using computer emulation as well)

No issues with compatibility.
Old 28 October 2018, 07:20   #6
WildW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Raspberry Pi with RetroPie and/or Amiberry.

This is kind of my thinking...

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

I still have sn Amiga 1200 just for nostalgic reasons, but RPi is only one hooked to tv. (and still using computer emulation as well)

No issues with compatibility.

I know where you're coming from - it's what I keep telling myself, that emulation is in many ways better than the real thing. However, I do find there is more to it than that and emulation doesn't scratch the itch for "using old computers" for me.
Old 28 October 2018, 08:26   #7
Foebane
Banned

What I would like to know about real hardware here is: if I was to get hold of a super-accelerated A1200 with lots of memory, would I be able to run ANY demo, or would a lot of them be too fast or just plain glitchy?

I get this issue a lot in emulation, just wondering if the same is true of real hardware?
Old 28 October 2018, 08:34   #8
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
What I would like to know about real hardware here is: if I was to get hold of a super-accelerated A1200 with lots of memory, would I be able to run ANY demo, or would a lot of them be too fast or just plain glitchy?

I get this issue a lot in emulation, just wondering if the same is true of real hardware?
You get glitches running the ADF's or using WHDLoad ?

I find 99% if WHDLoad stuff works perfectly on my A1200.
Old 28 October 2018, 09:47   #9
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
You get glitches running the ADF's or using WHDLoad ?

I find 99% if WHDLoad stuff works perfectly on my A1200.
ADFs. The glitches in demo emulation are manifested by odd palette shimmering or parts where the visuals slow to a crawl and the sound is heavily stuttered - the latter is most common, I think it's because it's locked into cycle-exact. I find that by decreasing or increasing the hardware spec defined in each configuration, I can solve most issues.
Old 28 October 2018, 11:05   #10
Hewitson

If running demos from ADF that implies they're fairly old demos and may not run well, if at all, on something like an 060 accelerated Amiga (unless WHDLoad is used).

Demos for high end machines are generally distributed in lha/lzx format.
Old 28 October 2018, 11:11   #11
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
ADFs. The glitches in demo emulation are manifested by odd palette shimmering or parts where the visuals slow to a crawl and the sound is heavily stuttered - the latter is most common, I think it's because it's locked into cycle-exact. I find that by decreasing or increasing the hardware spec defined in each configuration, I can solve most issues.
You won’t have much luck running older demos on a real AGA machine without using WHDload patched versions.
Old 28 October 2018, 13:10   #12
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
You won’t have much luck running older demos on a real AGA machine without using WHDload patched versions.
Thank Toni for WinUAE, then!
Old 28 October 2018, 13:31   #13
Hewitson

No, thank Wepl and everyone else involved with WHDLoad. Even on an emulator, it's the most sensible solution.
Old 28 October 2018, 14:40   #14
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
No, thank Wepl and everyone else involved with WHDLoad. Even on an emulator, it's the most sensible solution.
I use WHDLoad for games, but not for demos. I don't want to discuss it here any further.

EDIT: Apologies if I went off-topic or killed this thread, that wasn't my intention.

Last edited by Foebane; 28 October 2018 at 18:10.
Old 30 October 2018, 09:14   #15
WildW

Yeah, so I bought an A1200 in the end. Seemed the right thing. If I have compatibility issues I'll have to learn how to make WHDLoad installs as that seems to be the cure-all.
Old 30 October 2018, 09:17   #16
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildW View Post
Yeah, so I bought an A1200 in the end. Seemed the right thing. If I have compatibility issues I'll have to learn how to make WHDLoad installs as that seems to be the cure-all.
I always figured out that was the best single all-round Amiga to get, as it has everything, especially expandability.
Old 30 October 2018, 09:35   #17
Mrz
Banned

if you want to explore obscure games and PD disks the A1200 is not ideal

lot of games will not work on a 020+, others games don't like the AGA chipset etc
The A500 is the best for this because relokick will not solve incompatibilities in tons of games
Old 30 October 2018, 10:01   #18
bitter

Obviously the solution is to get both! That way you can drain your money twice as fast
Old 30 October 2018, 10:34   #19
WildW

I almost bid on a 500 as well yesterday, but managed to contain myself. They are cheaper at least, and easier to deal with once I have the 1200 to make moving software over easier. Main trouble with the A500 is they're so darned big I'm not sure it would fit on my desk.
Old 30 October 2018, 12:49   #20
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildW View Post
I almost bid on a 500 as well yesterday, but managed to contain myself. They are cheaper at least, and easier to deal with once I have the 1200 to make moving software over easier. Main trouble with the A500 is they're so darned big I'm not sure it would fit on my desk.
I had a wooden computer desk for a birthday of mine in the 1980s, and my Atari 800XL fitted fine on it. But then I got an ST, and later on, an A500, and those last two were hanging off of the edge of the desk, they were so big!