English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 28 April 2013, 01:13   #1
lesta_smsc

Floppy Disk Write/Delivery Service

Hello all,

Just realised there have been a few posts recently where users have struggled to get access to make full use of their Amiga. Whether this is due to the initial networking limitation (no Workbench or disk that has Workbench within it e.g. Deluxe Paint) to make use of Amiga Forever, or they do not have any means to write ADF to get going or simply wish to obtain certain freeware games/applications.

What I'm proposing is for us to develop a database of volunteers to provide this service. The more we have, the better coverage we can get! In all, this will help the community and more people to benefit from what the Amiga has to offer! e.g. I could provide the service for those in the UK, as international postage would take longer to process and become costly. Postage is fairly cheap, I mean a disk could be transported in a 2nd class post! Contributions I would leave to discretion of person requesting, but best would be to provide a stamped address return envelope for example?

I know people might be opposed to this for various reasons, but I do not see how providing legitimate, freeware games/software as being an issue. Essentially it will be to get people 'started'. There are links on eBay for this, and I do not want to impose on that, but for the most part, people just need a disk rather than a whole set up and I feel the prices are high for the freely available software used.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards,
Lesta SMSC

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 28 April 2013 at 01:18.
Old 28 April 2013, 15:29   #2
Cymru

Floppy Disk Write/Delivery Service

Good thought.
Old 28 April 2013, 15:39   #3
roy bates

there might/will be a problem with offering a service to duplicate workbench disks.

especially if there your workbench disks your offering to copy.no matter how kind that offer seems.

im not sure if this is actually what you was offering though.
Old 28 April 2013, 15:53   #4
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
there might/will be a problem with offering a service to duplicate workbench disks.

especially if there your workbench disks your offering to copy.no matter how kind that offer seems.

im not sure if this is actually what you was offering though.
No ... not copyrighted software. As mentioned, it would be for freeware or titles where there was copyright lifted e.g. Team17 who released their games to public for example.

It would be more for freeware games/demo/PD software which would help people to get started for purposes of using Amiga. Also software to allow using PC disks to transfer to Amiga e.g. CrossDOS-type software (unsure if that is free, but Aminet has freely available alternatives I'm sure). For those who struggle with the initial WB-side of things, although I'm sure some PD disks had alternatives for this too.
Old 28 April 2013, 16:00   #5
Djay
95th User

sometime last year I was considering a real Amiga PD library, not to actually make any money, just covering costs, providing a service, for nostalgia

.. then I tried to find a source for new dsdd disks

very often the people that provide their games/programs as ex-copyrighted still reserve the right for digital/physical distribution, you'll need to contact them first just to make sure (i'm pretty sure they will think its cool)

Last edited by Djay; 28 April 2013 at 16:35.
Old 28 April 2013, 16:15   #6
lesta_smsc

I assume anything off Aminet is freely distributable?
Old 28 April 2013, 16:34   #7
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
I assume anything off Aminet is freely distributable?
Probably, I'm not sure... I have some aminet CDs but they are official.

The Team 17, Factor 5 will probably be different?

If you find a source for new DSDD disks let me know!!! Just for personal use
Old 28 April 2013, 16:53   #8
psygnosis

good idea this im actually struggling at the moment of getting a copy of x-copy to back up some old floppys
Old 28 April 2013, 17:08   #9
lesta_smsc

I was going to suggest the person requesting provide the disk, or I could use any of my own - but more than likely it would be a HD --> DD disk. I think for the basic software it should be fine as the issues tend to be with certain games.

This is merely an option ... might not be as helpful as I had first imagined.

psygnosis - lol, is that sarcasm i.e. you want software to condone piracy :P
Old 28 April 2013, 17:19   #10
diablothe2nd

I'd be happy to assist.

I too would like a source for new DSDD disks, but I have many, many, many hundreds of "blank labelled" disks from lucky dip purchases in the hunt for coverdisks and genuine games. I could inspect them physically and use a verification tool to double check the integrity before sending them out. perhaps we can re-cycle all these disks in some way as it seems a bit of a waste not using them.

I also have a colour laser printer and floppy labels so can do replicas of PD disks / software / coverdisks as they were back in the day if a high enough resolution scan of the original is supplied, as sadly they are few and far between these days from people reformatting them or binning them when they had clear outs.
Old 28 April 2013, 18:09   #11
psygnosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
I was going to suggest the person requesting provide the disk, or I could use any of my own - but more than likely it would be a HD --> DD disk. I think for the basic software it should be fine as the issues tend to be with certain games.

This is merely an option ... might not be as helpful as I had first imagined.

psygnosis - lol, is that sarcasm i.e. you want software to condone piracy :P
lol no i just need to back up some old floppys with pictures taken on vidi 12 from yrs ago and a few others that cant be done on workbench
Old 28 April 2013, 18:27   #12
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
I'd be happy to assist.

I too would like a source for new DSDD disks, but I have many, many, many hundreds of "blank labelled" disks from lucky dip purchases in the hunt for coverdisks and genuine games. I could inspect them physically and use a verification tool to double check the integrity before sending them out. perhaps we can re-cycle all these disks in some way as it seems a bit of a waste not using them.

I also have a colour laser printer and floppy labels so can do replicas of PD disks / software / coverdisks as they were back in the day if a high enough resolution scan of the original is supplied, as sadly they are few and far between these days from people reformatting them or binning them when they had clear outs.

i do this alot,a hairdryer takes most lables of in minutes

if you loose a few it dont matter.
Old 28 April 2013, 18:35   #13
diablothe2nd

Quote:
i do this alot,a hairdryer takes most lables of in minutes

if you loose a few it dont matter.
I've been trying to do this where i've found coverdisks, with a blank label stuck over the top... the newer sticker always seems to be stronger than the publisher's one so the coverdisk label comes with it
Old 28 April 2013, 19:20   #14
roy bates

Quote:
I've been trying to do this where i've found coverdisks, with a blank label stuck over the top... the newer sticker always seems to be stronger than the publisher's one so the coverdisk label comes with it

ive tried a few coverdisks and its really hard to get the label off

ive been trying to find a solution(chemical) thats desolves the adhesive they use.

antway i'll probably get into trouble for going off topic.
Old 28 April 2013, 19:23   #15
diablothe2nd

that's just it, i dont want the coverdisk label to come off... just the one stuck on top (as i'm collecting magazines and want to reunite them with their disks)
Old 28 April 2013, 19:26   #16
roy bates

Quote:
that's just it, i dont want the coverdisk label to come off... just the one stuck on top (as i'm collecting magazines and want to reunite them with their disks)

thers also another problem you might have got into,even if the label comes off on its own it sometimes(well alot of times) takes some or all of the top of the label from the one on the bottom.
Old 28 April 2013, 19:28   #17
diablothe2nd

Quote:
thers also another problem you might have got into,even if the label comes off on its own it sometimes(well alot of times) takes some or all of the top of the label from the one on the bottom.
yup. so far my success rate is less than 20%
Old 28 April 2013, 19:33   #18
roy bates

Quote:
yup. so far my success rate is less than 20%

the only thing ive found to do this for me was this:

score a few lines in the top label with a sharp knife(making sure its only the top label you score) and introduce wd40 added via a cloth so it gets under the label(youll see it soaking up under the label) and leave it for a while and try to peel the top one off after its soaked in.
(a bit like wallpaper removal)
it works,but damn it takes along time to do.

anyway i'll shutup now.
Old 28 April 2013, 19:36   #19
diablothe2nd

thanks muchly for the tip!
Old 28 April 2013, 21:44   #20
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
lol no i just need to back up some old floppys with pictures taken on vidi 12 from yrs ago and a few others that cant be done on workbench
since you have workbench, do you have CrossDOS or any means to network? Might be easier that way, but I can always send you "MultiDOS" which is available on Aminet and readme states "Freely distributable, except that it may not be distributed for profit without written permission from the author." This way you can create your own ADF by transferring xcopy. However xcopy distribution info is:
"2. Distribution and Costs

You can distribute the software using any media only if you keep all the
files in it intact, and provided you do it free of any charge at all. You
are not allowed to distribute this software with other products and
charge money for the entire package or bundle. It cannot be given away
free as an extra for the purchase of another product. No media, handling,
packing and/or shipping charges are allowed for the distribution of this
software product. Notwithstanding the above, magazines are permitted to
covermount this package."