English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 03 September 2009, 23:47   #1
Gyro
C64 / Amiga Nut

Gamebase 1.6/Winuae Problem

Hey everyone,

Nice to find yet another Amiga site dedicated to the great machine. I have been working on a dedicated "Amiga PC" whose task is to only run Amiga Emulation and I decided to go with the Gamebase 1.6 route. I am so close to being able to play the games again. This is what happens.

On my Gamebase screen, I click "Play Game" and regardless of which one I choose, the ever familiar Workbench 1.3 logo with the hand appears and that's it. My only thought is I had to manually point GEMUS to the winuae as 1.5.0 was the latest in the list. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by Gyro; 03 September 2009 at 23:54.
Old 03 September 2009, 23:53   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi Gyro and welcome to EAB!

Have a look here : http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=535027&postcount=9
Old 03 September 2009, 23:54   #3
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

It's probably the script you need to modify for it to work with newer WinUAE versions.
See here: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=535027&postcount=9

Last edited by Retroplay; 03 September 2009 at 23:54. Reason: Aah too slow. :)
Old 03 September 2009, 23:59   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Or tick the "Use Short (8.3) Filenames" in the GEMUS emulator properties.

btw: This issue seems to be fixed since v1.6.2 Beta 2.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 04 September 2009 at 00:27.
Old 04 September 2009, 00:06   #5
Gyro
C64 / Amiga Nut

Thank you for the quick response! Yay, now I am even closer! I was very happy to see the AmigaDOS screen. The game seems to be working fine, but with no sound as of yet. Tested an mp3 and my volume is up on the PC. Only sound option I can find is "play sound on classic game" and that's checked.

Thanks again
Old 04 September 2009, 00:27   #6
Gyro
C64 / Amiga Nut

Still having trouble with the sound. Came across this post - http://eabmobile.abime.net/showthrea...692#post450692 , but following it I still have no sound.
Old 04 September 2009, 02:28   #7
Gyro
C64 / Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Or tick the "Use Short (8.3) Filenames" in the GEMUS emulator properties.

btw: This issue seems to be fixed since v1.6.2 Beta 2.
Couple more updates -- I gave this suggestions a try (use short filenames, use 1.6.2 beta 11) and still, no sound. I'm stopping for the day so if you have more ideas, I am all ears!
Old 04 September 2009, 02:49   #8
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Copy the file "GameBase Amiga.uae" from your GB Amiga directory to WinUAE/Configurations.
Start WinUAE and select and load GameBase Amiga in the configurations tab.
Go to Sound tab and make sure Sound Emulation is enabled.
Like this:

Once you have done that, save the config and copy it back to GameBase Amiga directory.
Old 04 September 2009, 02:55   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

There are also these 'Load from...' and 'Save as...' buttons, so no need to move the files Would be really strange if the GB uae files are missing the sound settings.
Old 04 September 2009, 03:05   #10
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Yeah you're right about that, however it was the most obvious reason I could think of.
Old 04 September 2009, 03:11   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It's surely worth a look No real idea actually, but if he's running Vista he might also want to check the 'per application' volume settings for WinUAE (once the emulation is started that is).
Old 04 September 2009, 04:14   #12
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
Couple more updates -- I gave this suggestions a try (use short filenames, use 1.6.2 beta 11) and still, no sound. I'm stopping for the day so if you have more ideas, I am all ears!
This was NOT sound related. I meant the commandline parsing troubles, which was indeed fixed since the current Beta phase. Strange audio issue though.
Old 04 September 2009, 04:45   #13
Gyro
C64 / Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Copy the file "GameBase Amiga.uae" from your GB Amiga directory to WinUAE/Configurations.
Start WinUAE and select and load GameBase Amiga in the configurations tab
Ok, I lied. I wasn't done for the day and I gave this great idea a whirl. I checked the config and it matched, and I even went a step further and ran 4th and Inches using the Gamebase Amiga.uae direct from Winuae. Sound blasted from the speakers fine. I also tryed loading Winuae 1.5.0 since there is a specific setup for it in Gamebase and it didn't make a difference.

It's obviously a Gamebase Amiga specific issue so I also tryed reinstalling that and still had the same sound problem. My only other thought is if someone has time is to attach your Gamebase Amiga specific script files, etc that could have something do with sound (ie GEMUS scripts) and I'll overwrite them to see if something got hosed up. Course any other suggestions would be nice too.
Old 04 September 2009, 08:56   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
It's obviously a Gamebase Amiga specific issue so I also tryed reinstalling that and still had the same sound problem. My only other thought is if someone has time is to attach your Gamebase Amiga specific script files, etc that could have something do with sound (ie GEMUS scripts) and I'll overwrite them to see if something got hosed up. Course any other suggestions would be nice too.
The sound settings aren't affected by the GEMUS script in GB Amiga. Really, not at all. So if you have sound when you run WinUAE alone, but not when started from GB, it should really have something to do with the GB use files. Run WinUAE, press F12 and have a look (or better make a screenshot) at the sound panel. Then do the same with GB and see if it's any different.
Old 04 September 2009, 17:05   #15
Gyro
C64 / Amiga Nut

Thanks for the suggestion Cyberdruid however I need to give yet another update. I AM getting sound now after playing with Gamebase Amiga.uae in a text editor but it's very very sluggish and "staticy". Winuae's sound is fine when run by itself. I noticed the SND box at the bottom of the running game (in this case 4th and inches again) was at -156 when before it was just a -. With just the gamebase screen running my CPU is at 2% but jumps immediately to 100% when I launch a game. The system I am running is older and probably borderline min specs (1 Ghz, 256 meg ram, 64 meg vid card). I lowered the quality of the sound from 44K to 22K, moved from sound emulation 100% accurate to just sound emu and even from 16 to 8 but it didn't make a difference.

I was so close guys but I guess I am stuck running games direct from Winuae until I upgrade the memory and/or video card. 'Preciate the help.
Old 04 September 2009, 17:10   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Look at the 'Filter' panel once you started a game from gamebase (F12) and see if there is any filter set. Deactivate it and see if that makes any difference.
Old 04 September 2009, 18:03   #17
Gyro
C64 / Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Look at the 'Filter' panel once you started a game from gamebase (F12) and see if there is any filter set. Deactivate it and see if that makes any difference.
It's set to off already.

EDIT: Sorry, I uploaded a default UAE. The Gamebase UAE is identical.

Old 04 September 2009, 18:05   #18
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

No, I mean the graphic filter setting 5 below the sound panel in the list to the left.
Old 04 September 2009, 18:28   #19
Gyro
C64 / Amiga Nut

I am unfortunately at work now but I'll give this a go tonight. Thanks for not giving up on me!
Old 04 September 2009, 18:41   #20
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I really hope we can get this sorted. If it works with WinUAE alone, there is a way to make GB work aswell