English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 April 2009, 20:19   #1
Fabie
Banned

A1200 motherboard rev 1.D1 Aladdin doesn't works

I was recently surprised that the game Aladdin doesn't works on my new A1200
The A1200 motherboard is a REV 1.D1 PAL and works normal,I tested lot of AGA games,no problems found

but when I tested the game Aladdin from floppy,the game crash after the cracktro,the floppy drive looks truncated when crash
I tested 2 versions,Prodigy crack with and without trainer...idem crash

It seems that my motherboard lacks READY signal or something like that or maybe a unknown bug on the floppy controller because
I tested the game using 3 different floppy drives,a chinon,a mitsumi and a nec...(all them original amiga drives)...idem problem,the game crash so the problem is on the motherboard itself

can anybody with the A1200 REV 1.D1 motherboard PLEASE confirm this bug or check the game

thanks in advance
Old 29 April 2009, 22:46   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Fabie, and welcome to EAB!

I can't test it on an A1200 1-D-1 motherboard, but I could check it on an unmodified Escom A1200 with Rev 2B motherboard, which doesn't have the nRDY signal connected to check your theory.

Then I could check it with the nRDY signal connected to see if that cures the problem.

Please upload your disk images for me to test if you think this would help you.

prowler
Old 29 April 2009, 23:01   #3
Fabie
Banned

thx prowler

you can download the disk images here:

http://www.thegamearchives.com/?val=...0_4_17_0_1_3_0

I tested all Aladdin disk 1 files cracked by prodigy,none of them works,trained or not trained
the other 2 files cracked by DC (beta) doesn't works even on winuae

thanks for your help
Old 29 April 2009, 23:09   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Fabie,

Thanks for the link.

I've downloaded seven disk images:
Aladdin (1994)(virgin)(aga)(beta)[cr dc](disk 1 of 2) 871 Kb
Aladdin (1994)(virgin)(aga)(beta)[cr dc](disk 2 of 2) 221 Kb
Aladdin (1994)(virgin)(aga)[cr pdy](disk 1 of 3) 700 Kb
Aladdin (1994)(virgin)(aga)[cr pdy](disk 1 of 3)[tr] 701 Kb
Aladdin (1994)(virgin)(aga)[cr pdy](disk 2 of 3) 725 Kb
Aladdin (1994)(virgin)(aga)[cr pdy](disk 3 of 3) 875 Kb
Aladdin (1994)(virgin)(aga)[cr pdy](disk 3 of 3)[a] 842 Kb

I'll try to test them tomorrow for you.

prowler
Old 29 April 2009, 23:30   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Hey Fabie,

How much memory do you have in your Rev 1-D-1 A1200?
Old 30 April 2009, 00:48   #6
Fabie
Banned

only 2mb .....no ram/accelerator board
but aladdin doesn't need fast ram...it should works on that config.....I had a rev 2B motherboard...and the game worked fine there
Old 30 April 2009, 00:52   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabie View Post
only 2mb .....no ram/accelerator board
but aladdin doesn't need fast ram...it should works on that config.....I had a rev 2B motherboard...and the game worked fine there
Thanks, Fabie. That's what I have in my Escom A1200. Otherwise, I would have to take the memory expansion card out of my Commodore to meet the game's memory requirements.

Now I shall definitely have some results to report here tomorrow.

prowler
Old 30 April 2009, 22:33   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Fabie,

I'm afraid I haven't had a chance to do the testing today, as I had to work late. Sorry.

The good news is that I have tomorrow free, so I'll be able to get it done then.

prowler
Old 30 April 2009, 23:43   #9
Fabie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi Fabie,

I'm afraid I haven't had a chance to do the testing today, as I had to work late. Sorry.

The good news is that I have tomorrow free, so I'll be able to get it done then.

prowler
ok no problem , I can wait
Old 30 April 2009, 23:50   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Thanks.

I'm really hoping I can help you with this.

If it turns out to be the nRDY signal which is causing your problem, there is a quick fix for that.

prowler
Old 01 May 2009, 22:42   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Fabie,

Here are the results of testing all three Aladdin disk 1 files on both my Commodore rev 1-D-4 A1200 and Escom rev 2-B A1200 today.

Aladdin (1994)(virgin)(aga)(beta)[cr dc](disk 1 of 2)

In both the Commodore machine and the Escom with nRDY connected, the Virgin logo appears and the music starts playing from the floppy boot. The music is suspended during the fourth refrain, leaving the last note sustained briefly before the screen goes black. Eventually a Guru screen appears reporting a Software Failure, Error: 8000 000B Task: 00003118. The machine reboots and the cycle continues...

In the Escom machine with nRDY disconnected, a pattern which resembles a Venetian blind appears on screen with alternate, coloured, horizontal bands, graduated red-orange-yellow and blue-cyan-green, respectively, left to right. The pattern remains indefinitely, despite continuing disk activity.

This version of the Aladdin game appears to be bugged, especially as you have already reported that this version doesn't work on WinUAE either.

Aladdin (1994)(virgin)(aga)[cr pdy](disk 1 of 3)

In both the Commodore machine and the Escom with nRDY connected, the Prodigy cracktro runs from the floppy boot. This can be interrupted by pressing the left mouse button. The screen goes black and the program loads, first displaying the Disney software logo, then "LOADING... PLEASE WAIT..." and finally the message "Please insert Aladdin Disk 2, then press FIRE".

In the Escom machine with nRDY disconnected, the cracktro plays normally and can still be interrupted by pressing the left mouse button. The screen goes black, but the Disney software logo fails to appear despite continuing disk activity. If The nRDY signal is reconnected at this point, the Disney logo does appear after a short time. Disconnect it again and the logo just stays there, but the disk activity continues. Reconnecting it again eventually brings up the final loading and disk prompt messages.

This version of the Aladdin game functions correctly with the nRDY signal connected.

Aladdin (1994)(virgin)(aga)[cr pdy](disk 1 of 3)[tr]

In both the Commodore machine and the Escom with nRDY connected, the Felon Trainer for Prodigy screen replaces the cracktro from the floppy boot. You can choose from Unlimited Lives, Energy and Apples by using the cursor keys or mouse movement and left and right mouse buttons. Selecting 'Start Game' causes a Workbench screen to appear momentarily before the screen goes black and the program loads. From this point on the disk behaves in exactly the same way as the untrained version.

In the Escom machine with nRDY disconnected, the trainer plays normally, but the game fails to load despite continous disk activity, again behaving in exactly the same way as the untrained version. Reconnecting the nRDY signal allows the program to continue loading.

This version of the Aladdin game also functions correctly with the nRDY signal connected.

My testing of the Aladdin disks seems to indicate that there is a problem with the nRDY signal on your rev 1-D-1 motherboard. The nRDY signal is available on pin 1 of the 23-way D-type external floppy drive socket and should be connected to pin 34 of the internal floppy disk drive socket. You should check the continuity between the two on your motherboard. If there is no connection, you can add one by soldering a wire between the two pins on the underside of the board. If the two are already connected, then the problem lies with the generation of the nRDY signal, the exact cause of which will need to be investigated.

Good luck!

prowler

PS. I've uploaded the Sanity Arte demo disk to the Zone for you. This disk requires the nRDY signal to function properly. If it doesn't work on your 1-D-1 A1200, then this will confirm that an nRDY problem exists.
Old 02 May 2009, 04:05   #12
Fabie
Banned

many thanks for your help Sir prowler !!!
you are great !!!!!!

the game crash on my A1200 in the same way,at the same point ,idem when you disconnect ready signal

It seems a ready signal problem bug on rev 1.D1
and is incredible that nobody noticed it before

I just checked the continuity between the pins you told me and it is perfect,so the problem I think is the generation of the ready signal

I will check tomorrow the demo you have uploaded,I'm sure it will not work,if you are sure that the demo needs ready signal.....it will fail on my A1200

btw,what kind of fix you think is convenient to apply to this 1D1 motherboard ?
Old 02 May 2009, 13:30   #13
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Fabie,

You are welcome! I am glad to have been of help.

The Sanity Arte demo disk will not work on your A1200 if you have a problem with the nRDY signal generation on your motherboard.

I'm not sure at this stage whether it is a bug with the rev 1-D-1 motherboard, or your motherboard may be faulty in some way.

I'll have to have a look at the schematics to see whether a likely cause is suggested.

prowler
Old 02 May 2009, 16:55   #14
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Fabie,

I thought I had the A1200 User's Manual which contains the schematics, but I've only got the A500 User's Manual. My A1200 handbook is only the User's Guide (and quite inferior).

I've managed to find the A1200 schematics in PDF format on this page:
http://www.symbolengine.com/index.ph...in-pdf-format/ (2.09Mo)
Now I'll see what I can find out.

I've just had another thought. Have you checked the floppy drive data cable? That could be causing the problem, but I expect you've already tried a different cable.

prowler

Edit: It gets better... It looks like these schematics are for the rev 1-D-1 motherboard!

Last edited by prowler; 02 May 2009 at 17:03.
Old 03 May 2009, 05:34   #15
Fabie
Banned

Thanks again for your help !!!!

I tested the cable...it's ok....also continuity of 34 pin in the cable is ok
even I replaced the cable with another PC cable floppy...idem fail
I tested the sanity demo and doesn't works..it crash like Aladdin

also I replaced the 4 elect caps on the mobo by 4 Chemicon KZG series
(2x470uf and 2 x1000uf)
however not solved the floppy bug

The problem is that nobody here have a REV 1.D1 and can confirm the bug
I'm sure it's a general rev 1D1 bug and not my particular mobo fault

Ok if you can find something interesting in the schematics,please post it

thanks !
Old 03 May 2009, 18:15   #16
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Fabie,

I have found a few more schematics for the A1200 since I found those, but they all contain essentially the same information.

It may take a while, but I'll let you know if I find anything else you can try.

prowler
Old 05 May 2009, 11:37   #17
Fabie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi Fabie,

I have found a few more schematics for the A1200 since I found those, but they all contain essentially the same information.

It may take a while, but I'll let you know if I find anything else you can try.

prowler

Ok thanks for your time again !
I will wait
Old 05 May 2009, 22:27   #18
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Fabie,

This is the document which I'm looking at to see what I can suggest to fix the floppy problem you have.

Warning: It's a 3073 x 2352 bitmap image (20.6MB) when it's unzipped!

http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?...1&d=1241554949

prowler