English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 17 January 2009, 21:09   #1
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

WorkBench 3.0 not showing all drawers/folders??

Ive recently started going through a load of old disks with various utils and games on them to see which ones can be installed to the hard drive.

Ive installed a few things which work fine but ive noticed that some things such as deluxe paint when installed cannot be found unless i use the "window - show - all files" function in workbench 3.0

By default WB 3.0 is set to "window - show - only icons" which has never been a problem as it will show all my drawers/folders and anything else ive installed on the hard drive, but theres a few things i cannot find when installed until i have the show all option enabled.

Its not a big problem but it resets back to the "show - only icons" when the amiga is restarted which then hides some of my drawers/folders!?

I dont understand why it does this? i mean they have the same drawer icon as the rest of my installed software and its all installed on the same drive but the same things disappear next time i load workbench unless i use show - all files.

Can anyone help me with this please? its not something ive noticed in the past thanks!
Old 17 January 2009, 21:17   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi PowerPie5000,

if you select 'Snapshot -> All' from the menu after you selected 'Show All Files' it will be stored and the next time you should see all files again
Old 17 January 2009, 21:18   #3
DoogUK
Doogster

After clicking show all files.....click snapshot then all...next time they will all be visible.
Old 17 January 2009, 21:19   #4
DoogUK
Doogster

Druid beat me to it
Old 17 January 2009, 21:27   #5
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

ahh! so thats what snapshot is for! ive never used it and never found out what it was for and have icons and folders scattered everywhere! so i should be able to clean up all directories then use snapshot and it will al stay the same next time i boot?

Im still not sure why certain folders dont show as they seem the same as the others (just a directory with files in them and a drawer icon)

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!
Old 17 January 2009, 21:36   #6
DoogUK
Doogster

Yep, after a cleanup and a snapshot all drwers and files remain neat.
Old 17 January 2009, 21:37   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
ahh! so thats what snapshot is for! ive never used it and never found out what it was for and have icons and folders scattered everywhere! so i should be able to clean up all directories then use snapshot and it will al stay the same next time i boot?
Yup, exactly that

Quote:
Im still not sure why certain folders dont show as they seem the same as the others (just a directory with files in them and a drawer icon)
Because they have no '.info' file (similar to an icon). You could create one and then those files will also show up without all files selected.

Quote:
Thanks for the help, much appreciated!
You're welcome

Edit : Now Doog beats me to it
Old 17 January 2009, 21:43   #8
meega

If a drawer/file does not show up when you are showing only icons then that is because that drawer/file does not have an icon. They look the same provided the default icons are the same as the ones that you can see when showing only icons (which is normally true in Workbench 2.0+). If the real icons are different (e.g. from WB1.3, or off a PD disk, etc.) then they will look different to the ones that are supplied with a default icon by the system when you choose show all... I trust that helps further. (Also, play with IconEdit.)
Old 17 January 2009, 21:53   #9
ppill
CON: artist

I've always wondered why there even was a clean-up option in the first place. Icons should rearrange automatically.
Old 17 January 2009, 21:53   #10
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Ok it all makes sense now, ive used snapshot and it works perfectly! cant believe i never bothered to find out what is was for all this time, oh well.

Would it be easy creating a .info file for the folders that dont have one? even though it might not be worth it now ive used snapshot on show all, thanks for your help again!
Old 17 January 2009, 21:56   #11
meega

Play with IconEdit.
Old 17 January 2009, 21:56   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
I've always wondered why there even was a clean-up option in the first place. Icons should rearrange automatically.
It's not just a strange feature of the Amiga OS; The Mac OS is just the same!
Old 17 January 2009, 22:02   #13
ppill
CON: artist

Weird... maybe they should add an 'obscured' view option in Windows 7
Old 17 January 2009, 22:03   #14
meega

If you snapshot a window at a given size, and then you resize that window, then clean it up, the icons will get rearranged to fit in nice rows/columns within the new window size.
Old 17 January 2009, 22:06   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@ppill
Yeah, a shuffle icons option would be cool (for the very bored )
"Now, where is my Powerpoint shortcut today. Hmm..."
Old 17 January 2009, 23:01   #16
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Yeah i think i will go through everything the amiga os has to offer, i really only used to stick to the basics as it was mainly used for gaming when i first got it years ago! the only kid in class (maybe entire school) with an a1200 and a500 at the time whilst everyone else had the megadrive

Maybe they did not want any auto features in workbench so that we can have total control over our systems unlike the mac which takes control over everything and then theres windows *ahem* vista its like a well behaved but at the same time annoying kid asking for your permission everytime you click on something! (then half the time you get told NO by the comp!).

Hopefully windows 7 will benefit from all previous mistakes and annoyances found in vista etc... I will stick with XP for now although i do miss good old win 95 with its dos support.
Old 17 January 2009, 23:04   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Hopefully windows 7 will benefit from all previous mistakes and annoyances found in vista etc... I will stick with XP for now although i do miss good old win 95 with its dos support.
You should try the new DosBox 0.72 The speed increase is really good and makes some 'newer' Dos games really playable now
Old 17 January 2009, 23:08   #18
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Yeah ive got it and its great! although not perfect , at least i can get sound and play with different graphics filters in old dos games! windows xp, vista etc usually breaks down in a puddle of tears when it comes to anything dos related

Scummvm is also great for those classic lucasarts games, it even runs the miggy versions of monkey island and loom etc with extra settings

do you know if they have added full support for multiple cores in dosbox yet? its fine on my old P4 system but can be a bit iffy with my core 2?
Old 17 January 2009, 23:12   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Yeah ScummVM is great for all LA games (including the Amiga versions ). I prefer it for those games supported to DosBox, but DosBox really is mature when it comes to emulate Dos games with the 0.7x versions Haven't encountered a Dos game yet that isn't playable with DosBox (but of course there are some )
Old 17 January 2009, 23:18   #20
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I usually have major issues running blood and daggerfall for some reason with dosbox, the mouse starts to lag a bit and the game goes out of sync with stuttery sound! but other than that its been great.

I always tweak around with the cpu cycles, sound emulation and graphics filters until i think its perfect

and i agree that scummvm is better suited for lucasarts games over dosbox (also easier to use in my opinion).