English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 08 July 2018, 12:58   #1
gazj82

New Game - K C Munchkin

I released a new port of KC Munchkin (originally a Philips videopac / Odessey2 game) for the Amiga exclusively for this years Amigathon.

Now it is over you can find it in the Zone. or on aminet

http://aminet.net/package/game/actio/kcmunchkin

It is a pacman clone with a twist, there are fewer pills to collect and they will runaway from you.

Different mazes and darkness are options, also you can press space to switch the graphics between Amiga and original during gameplay.

It should play on any Amiga.

Graphics are by PacManRed of the AtariAge forums.

Last edited by gazj82; 09 July 2018 at 14:44.
Old 08 July 2018, 16:26   #2
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Never heard of KC Munchkin before. Nice one, thank you!
Old 08 July 2018, 18:17   #3
zzbylu
Saberman

and gameplay
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 July 2018, 19:38   #4
DamienD
Banned

Heya gazj82,

Nice one

... Ports / Conversions --> Amiga has now been updated, please let me know if I've done this correctly for this game?
Old 08 July 2018, 19:43   #5
gazj82

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Heya gazj82,

Nice one

... Ports / Conversions --> Amiga has now been updated, please let me know if I've done this correctly for this game?
That's great thanks DamienD. Although Terrahawks from last year needs adding to the list.
Old 08 July 2018, 19:49   #6
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazj82 View Post
Although Terrahawks from last year needs adding to the list.
Yup, I knew there was one of your ports that I had forgotten to add... done
Old 09 July 2018, 09:53   #7
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
Never heard of KC Munchkin before. Nice one, thank you!
Maybe because it was known as "38" in Sweden.
Old 09 July 2018, 15:06   #8
Amiten
Banned

Quote:
I released a new port of KC Munchkin (originally a Philips videopac / Odessey2 game) for the Amiga exclusively for this years Amigathon.

Now it is over you can find it in the Zone. or on aminet

http://aminet.net/package/game/actio/kcmunchkin

It is a pacman clone with a twist, there are fewer pills to collect and they will runaway from you.

Different mazes and darkness are options, also you can press space to switch the graphics between Amiga and original during gameplay.

It should play on any Amiga.

Graphics are by PacManRed of the AtariAge forums.

looking Good! can you talk a little about how was code/develop this tittle? thank you
Old 09 July 2018, 16:26   #9
gazj82

Sure Amiten,

It was written in Blitz basic. I would not have a clue how to start with Blitz if it had not been for Earok's tutorials on Amiten TV. With a combination of the video tutorials and the Blitz manuals I have managed to code 3 projects with this being the latest one.

All three of my games have been ports of Philips videopac games. These games are extremely simple and have made sure I haven't bit of more than I can chew. If I look at my code from this game compared to my first I have vastly improved. I may now have the confidence to do a slightly more complex project.

The blitz basic source code is included on the disk for anyone interested.
Old 09 July 2018, 16:38   #10
Amigajay

Great job Gaz! Nice to see new and upcoming developers!
Old 09 July 2018, 16:45   #11
Ian
Global Moderator

Nice one. Keep going. Wish I had the time (or to be honest inclination these days) to learn to code.

I did once, but it passed did a course at work around the time I got into emulation looked up some source code for an emulator written in visual basic to see if I could follow it (that is what my course was on) and couldn't. Thus ended my adventure in programming

Last edited by Ian; 09 July 2018 at 18:18.
Old 09 July 2018, 18:14   #12
Amiten
Banned

Quote:
Sure Amiten,

It was written in Blitz basic. I would not have a clue how to start with Blitz if it had not been for Earok's tutorials on Amiten TV. With a combination of the video tutorials and the Blitz manuals I have managed to code 3 projects with this being the latest one.

All three of my games have been ports of Philips videopac games. These games are extremely simple and have made sure I haven't bit of more than I can chew. If I look at my code from this game compared to my first I have vastly improved. I may now have the confidence to do a slightly more complex project.

The blitz basic source code is included on the disk for anyone interested.
Oh what a surprise, Amiten TV Earok's Blitz Tutorials help for you to develop new games for our miggy's, so Cool! , I am very happy to know thank you for the anwser, continue with the great work!
Old 09 July 2018, 23:08   #13
hitchhikr

I remember a similar game on the vg5000 computers (it was called "Glouton" or "Munchkin").
The labyrinth which disappeared when the player was moving was a great idea and really added to the game.

Last edited by hitchhikr; 09 July 2018 at 23:20.
Old 10 July 2018, 21:48   #14
commie1974
Amiga? What's that?!?

Great, Gary! As every Videopac port you've done so far!
Thank you!!!

P.S. Please, please, please do not forget to finish the same game on the Spectrum, it is an excellent conversion and all speccy fans look forward to seeing it completed!
Old 10 July 2018, 21:51   #15
jotd
This cat is no more

Videopac was my youth. KC Munchkin was one of the not-so-bad games on this machine.

BTW I've ported O2EM to SDL/Nintendo DS, so it's probably possible on Amiga too. Anyone interested? Are there some Videopac emus on the miggy?
Old 10 July 2018, 22:38   #16
commie1974
Amiga? What's that?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Are there some Videopac emus on the miggy?
Unforunately not, AFAIK and it's a pity...
I'd be very interested to see one of these, especially if there was a possibility for it to be compatible with "oldschool" amiga range (A1000/500/2000).
But shouldn't a new, dedicated topic be opened for this?

Besides O2EM, there's a very intersting (OK, with lots of restrictions but this is fair enough) Videopac emu for the... ZX Spectrum, excellently done by DrBEEP!
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infos...cgi?id=0015647
And we're talking REAL emulator here...

Gary James (gazj82) has also made brilliant ports of Terrahawks and Killer Bees for the Amiga and of Pickaxe Pete, Terrahawks, Killer Bees and KC Munchkin (unfortunately unfinished) for the ZX Spectrum. All of them are simply astonishing, really worth playing! I assume that the next title we'll see ported by Gary on the Miggy will be Pickaxe Pete... who knows?
Old 10 July 2018, 23:21   #17
gazj82

I would like to do Pickaxe Pete. I also would like to do an Amiga version of "Quest for the rings". Trouble is that it is a Computer game / Board game hybrid for the Videopac. Without the board game it's not really much use, so it really limits who can play the game.
Old 11 July 2018, 08:21   #18
commie1974
Amiga? What's that?!?

Quote:
I would like to do Pickaxe Pete. I also would like to do an Amiga version of "Quest for the rings". Trouble is that it is a Computer game / Board game hybrid for the Videopac. Without the board game it's not really much use, so it really limits who can play the game.
Hehehe, I was sure you were planning to port Pickaxe Pete to the Amiga as well! Nice game this one, too!! And surely your port will be great, as always!

Allow me to write here some ideas/suggestions:
-The graphics of KC Munchkin on the Amiga are really nice and very close to the original, there has been done a very good job! But why don't you consider a "dual" release, with both the new, polished graphics AND the original Videopac graphics? Since you have programmed the whole game from scratch, I suppose that it would be rather easy for you to add an option for the player, to choose between the "new look" and the 100% accurate version of the game graphics.
You see, some players will be looking for the pure, original feeling of Videopac while playing this on the Amiga...
And last but not least, why not try giving us a version of Crazy Chase?
Almost the same game, I think that you already have more than half of the work done, since you created Munchkin!

-About "Quest for the Rings", you are right, a version without the assorted bits and bobs that came with the original would be almost useless for anyone, even for those who have played the game on Videopac.

BUT, my proposed solution here
(especially for the Amiga, dunno if it could be done on Spectrum, mostly due to RAM limitations) is creating a most complicated game with changing screens, e.g. from a pull-down menu.
You could display the paper board of the game on one screen and simulate the "physical" part of the gameplay for every turn, the movement of the pawns etc. and on another screen you could just reproduce the Videopac computer generated part of the game scenes.
Again here it would be nice to include an option for both 100% original graphics AND improved graphics, as I think that this specific game could really use a "face lifting" and would attract the interest of many more new players with nice sprites on screen. And for a "modern" version of this game, I couldn't imagine a platform better than the Amiga!

I suppose this needs A LOT of work and might be very difficult, but since you have the idea on your mind I think it's worth it. I am not a programmer myself, so I couldn't help on this task, but I could gladly try helping with the graphics (though I have not much experience there, either). So if you ever think of starting this project, please feel free to drop me a PM!

Last edited by commie1974; 11 July 2018 at 08:43.
Old 12 July 2018, 01:15   #19
gazj82

Hi Commie1974,

Pickaxe Pete is an interesting game that is not well known, bringing it to the Amiga should be no harder than any other projects I have done.

Try pressing space bar during gameplay, you will get your graphical wish.

Crazy chase would be fairly easy from this point your right. I might come back to this one day, put I would quite like a fresh new venture for now.

Quest for the rings - An on screen version of the board game I think could be quite easily done. I would leave an option to use the original game also.

All my spectrum work is done using the AGD game engine. It has limitations, this is mostly what stopped K C Munchkin on the Spectrum getting finished so I don't think I would be able to Quest for the rings on it. Some who can code the spectrum properly could probably do it.

Free time is the key. As long as I tell myself "It's finished when it's finished" and don't make any promises to anyone. It doesn't really bother me how long it takes, it's just something to work on when I am in the mood for it.

Who knows what is next, but my mind is bubbling with possibilities at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words.
Old 12 July 2018, 06:00   #20
commie1974
Amiga? What's that?!?

Quote:
Hi Commie1974,
Try pressing space bar during gameplay, you will get your graphical wish.
Oh boy, this has totally escaped my attention! Splendid!!!

Quote:
Free time is the key. As long as I tell myself "It's finished when it's finished" and don't make any promises to anyone. It doesn't really bother me how long it takes, it's just something to work on when I am in the mood for it.
Sure, that's why we call it a "hobby"!!

Quote:
Who knows what is next, but my mind is bubbling with possibilities at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words.
WE thank you for all your nice releases! Surely anything that comes next from you will be at least as good as its predecessors!