English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 14 December 2019, 10:47   #1
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

Vertical scaling up - how to choose lines to stretch?

I've got a routine where I stretch an image vertically using BPLxMODs and it works great. But it looks obviously like a perspective-based stretch from an origin because of how I am generating the data. That's actually the effect I initially wanted. But for another section of my intro I want something that looks more linear.

I'm just precalcing the lines to show normally or repeat by running a perspective function on 256 (screen height) points and a given Z distance (reusing normal vector code). Then I'm encoding those new points into 16 words. Then I repeat for however many zoom levels I want. You end up with a kind of "bitmap" (which I use as an actual bitmap elsewhere...). Then each frame I just pick a zoom level, read in a word at a time and shift bits into carry with each bit signalling if I should show a line normally (normal BPLMOD) or repeat it (-ve BPLMOD) and write that into the copperlist. So the decoding part is plenty fast enough.

All works fine, but it clearly looks like perspective stretch from an origin point. What is a good method to choose which lines to repeat for a more linear stretch? Googling leads me to lots of very modern graphics techniques that are a bit beyond me at the mo.

Also tried to use the method here: http://www.stashofcode.fr/zoom-hardw...on1-sur-amiga/ which was for shrinking but I didn't think it looked quite right when plugging those numbers in for stretching.
Old 14 December 2019, 13:16   #2
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

It's essentially the same as a linear texture mapping...

you need to calculate dU

dU = (U2-U1) / (Y2-Y1)

where U1 & U2 are the source "lines" of your image (U1 will often be zero), and Y1 and Y2 are the start and end screen lines.

Then in your loop (From Y1 to Y2 ) you just add dU to a value (usually initialised to U1)

You will need to probably use fixed point for accuracy, so you can calculate dU like:

dU = ( ( U2 - U1 ) <<8 ) / ( Y2 - Y1 )
Old 14 December 2019, 14:23   #3
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

Cheers, Dan. I think I get it.

E.g. Double size
U1 = 0
U2 = 16
Y1 = 0
Y2 = 32

dU = (16-0) / (32-0) = 0.5

etc

So that would give line 0,0,1,1,2,2,3,3.
Old 14 December 2019, 15:48   #4
robinsonb5

This could also be done with a version of Bresenham's line-drawing algorithm.
Imagine U1=0, U2=20, Y1=0, Y2=32, so a non-integral ratio.

Code:
dU=20, dY=32
V=0, c=0, where V is the output line for each iteration and c is a temporary counter
repeat dY times
{
  c+=dU
  while(c>=dY)
  {
    V+=1
    c-=dY
  }
  Store V
}

(If you only ever scale up, not down, then the inner "while" can be an "if".)
For the first iteration c is 20, so V remains 0
For the second iteration c is 40, so V is increased to 1, and c is reduced by 32 leaving a remainder of 8.
For the third iteration, c is 28, V remains at 1
For the fourth iteration, c is 48, V increases to 2, c reduces to 16.
For the fifth iteration, c is 36, V increases to 3, c reduces to 4...
Old 14 December 2019, 16:04   #5
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
This could also be done with a version of Bresenham's line-drawing algorithm.
Imagine U1=0, U2=20, Y1=0, Y2=32, so a non-integral ratio.

Code:
dU=20, dY=32
V=0, c=0, where V is the output line for each iteration and c is a temporary counter
repeat dY times
{
  c+=dU
  while(c>=dY)
  {
    V+=1
    c-=dY
  }
  Store V
}

(If you only ever scale up, not down, then the inner "while" can be an "if".)
For the first iteration c is 20, so V remains 0
For the second iteration c is 40, so V is increased to 1, and c is reduced by 32 leaving a remainder of 8.
For the third iteration, c is 28, V remains at 1
For the fourth iteration, c is 48, V increases to 2, c reduces to 16.
For the fifth iteration, c is 36, V increases to 3, c reduces to 4...

True, but you have that extra compare in there to do the "stepping" which is not idea for something that is essentially a 1D operation (Bresenham's is "designed" for stepping in 2D)
Old 14 December 2019, 16:55   #6
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
True, but you have that extra compare in there to do the "stepping" which is not idea for something that is essentially a 1D operation (Bresenham's is "designed" for stepping in 2D)

True enough - but being able to derive the same result in multiple ways is good for understanding!

(It may be designed for plotting lines on a 2D grid, but in that context one of the two coordinates increases monotonically, just as the line number does in the stretching application, so the two methods are analogous. At its heart, it's just a method of dealing with fractional ratios using integers.)
Old 14 December 2019, 17:39   #7
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

Thanks, all useful stuff. I need to write a CPU line draw soon and I've been watching videos on Bresenham. Oddly 99% of videos on youtube for Bresenham seem to be for Indian universities. This video was the one that made the penny drop for me
[ Show youtube player ]