English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 July 2018, 11:38   #1
Stratplayer

A1200 I want to copy my hard drive to the Pc

I took my a1200 apart yesterday and checked the caps for signs of leaking, no sign of damage to the board. the rf shield has some corrosion spots on it, I got all the dust out of it, put it back together and turned it on and it works, but I can't load anything off of my hard drive, not enough memory, I think I used a full version of classic workbench and loaded my original disks onto whdload, and almost every game worked fine when I had my 68030 card in it with 8 maybe 12mb ram, The last time I used it back in 2007. So I basically need a cheap memory upgrade, or take the hard drive out copy its contents on to the pc and use amiga forever, I remember using a A500 PSU with the 68030 card, I only have the black Amiga magic PSU now, would that run a standard trap door 4mb 8mb expansion ? I want to play Wizzkid, Wings, Rodland, Pang, and lots of other whdload games on there but they wont load lol. So I think my cheapest option is to take out the hard drive try and copy it and use it on a emulator, how do I get windows to see the drive and copy it ? I know I need a ide to sata converter to read the hard disk but will read all the stuff on my disk ? I remember there was a boot option for the amiga to run older games, did that free up more memory or was it to disable the aga chipset ?
Old 15 July 2018, 11:46   #2
supaduper

you can use `winimage` to copy your hard drive, download here:

http://www.winimage.com/download.htm
Old 15 July 2018, 12:44   #3
Stratplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
you can use `winimage` to copy your hard drive, download here:

http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

Thanks for that info I will download it later today, could i use a IDE to usb lead for that software or is a IDE to Sata conversion board the best way to go ?
Old 15 July 2018, 12:53   #4
supaduper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratplayer View Post
Thanks for that info I will download it later today, could i use a IDE to usb lead for that software or is a IDE to Sata conversion board the best way to go ?
You can use whatever you like my friend, I backed up an 2.5" Hard drive using USB to IDE and it worked no problem
Old 15 July 2018, 13:38   #5
Mikerochip

I used WinUAE to do it.

Run WinUAE as Administrator, goto 'CD & Hard drives', click 'Add Hard drive', drop down the disk combo box at the top, and pick your HDD, then click 'Create Hard Disk Image File'
Old 15 July 2018, 13:39   #6
Mikerochip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratplayer View Post
Could i use a IDE to usb lead
Yep. That's what I did.