English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 05 June 2006, 00:05   #1
Dalai

Sensible Soccer 2006

I see the demo was just released:

http://www.gamershell.com/news/30606.html

Gonna try this out, see how it compares to the classic.
Old 05 June 2006, 00:37   #2
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

I liked the demo, I've played both the xbox and the pc version now. The xbox version reminds me of the original SWOS because its easy. The pc version reminds me of the 95/96 version of SWOS, the keepers were harder in this version. The pc version does look the best out of the 2.
Old 05 June 2006, 10:53   #3
StarEye
Zone Friend

I love it, I can't wait to get the final build of the game! It captures the Sensi spirit perfectly, and Jon Hare yet again creates a game that's charming, full of soul and last but not least, incredibly fun to play! Which is why I got into gaming all those years ago... don't know what I was thinking.
Old 05 June 2006, 12:11   #4
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Happy

I also liked the PC demo but on a critical note the goal keeper has some bad ball clipping bugs "not making proper contact with the ball.
Apart from that it still plays very true to a Sensible Soccer game, although i can't help but feel missing the Netplay is a big missed oppertunity and makes me wonder if this is a low budget cash in game. I guess only time will tell if that is the case or not.
It's like going back to the drawing board again with the unofficial names and general bareness and simplicity the original Sensible Soccer had,
Not that these are bad things i certainly hope to see future versions with improvements.
Performance wise the game runs great on my PC at 1280x1024 with full AA, but as with all cross platform games you can notice the menu's are low bitmap quality and some of the players hair etc.
Hopefully with the HD Era of games coming along this will no longer be the case.
Old 05 June 2006, 13:40   #5
clemento

Well sorry but for me this comes nowhere close to the original Amiga Sensi. The ball now sticks to your feet, where are the diving headers gone? Why do the players feel to big for the pitch?

I'll just stick to Swos on Winuae i think

Old 05 June 2006, 16:14   #6
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
@clemento at least you can get it work

it won't even run on my pc got l8test drivers etc not arsed if it's a ball stuck to feet game oh well never mind!
Old 05 June 2006, 20:08   #7
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake
I also liked the PC demo but on a critical note the goal keeper has some bad ball clipping bugs "not making proper contact with the ball.
Apart from that it still plays very true to a Sensible Soccer game, although i can't help but feel missing the Netplay is a big missed oppertunity and makes me wonder if this is a low budget cash in game. I guess only time will tell if that is the case or not.
The goalkeeper has been confirmed fixed in the final version. This version is an earlier build and the keepers have been dumbed down in the PS2 version, and given "magic gloves" in the PC version so it's a bit harder to score.

Netplay would be good, but it IS a low-budget game (which is quite obvious on the graphics). I think it was released as a test to see if the market would accept it, and I advice everyone who wants another Sensi game in the future to buy this one.

And last, this game is very easy to learn, and while you think you've seen everything in the first few minutes, stick with the game for a some time and you'll see that the game gets just better and better. Things that didn't seem possible at all in the beginning is showing to just require more skill. It's a very unrestricted game, and it's a lot more free than the original Sensibles. There's so much you can do... the possibilities are basicaly limitless.
Old 05 June 2006, 21:19   #8
zardoz
Zone Friend

Slightly OT, what is _classic_ Sensi? I had the 93/94 edition before I sold my A1200 and had no idea it just kept on going. This is the version I still play (most days...)

I've tried SWOS (96?) on WinUAE but the sprites are bigger.... it just seemed less fun.

I am quite tempted to buy my first video game in 5 years with the peesee version of this tho'.
Old 06 June 2006, 00:58   #9
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz
Slightly OT, what is _classic_ Sensi? I had the 93/94 edition before I sold my A1200 and had no idea it just kept on going. This is the version I still play (most days...)

I've tried SWOS (96?) on WinUAE but the sprites are bigger.... it just seemed less fun.

I am quite tempted to buy my first video game in 5 years with the peesee version of this tho'.
The sprites are not bigger at all, don't know why you think so. The graphics are basically identical. But you should play SWOS 96/97, that's the ultimate version. Both in playability and in features (includes an excellent career (manager/player manager) mode and a MASSIVE amount of teams and players).
Old 08 June 2006, 22:23   #10
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

I've managed to get hold of the xbox version of the game. As I suspected its like the original sensible soccer on the amiga and not the better SWOS version. This is still a good game the keeper on the xbox is even harder than he was on the demo. You can score some amazing goals on this and the aftertouch on it is amazing. Theirs also unlockables on the game, when you win tournaments.

I'm enjoying the game and have played it lots. Can't understand why codemasters didn't deside to do SWOS.
Old 08 June 2006, 22:30   #11
BippyM
Global Moderator

I have just been playing this with Michael my 8yr old and he loves it

It has exactly the feel of sensi soccer and I love it
Old 08 June 2006, 22:39   #12
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

I tried it too but i ain't happy with the controls! probably cause i don't really like the xbox controller but can't wait for the pc version (with usb comp pro should be ace)
or even psx pad (i prefer over xbox controller)
Old 09 June 2006, 01:53   #13
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

I got the pc version of this as well, it seems to play better than the xbox version and have less bugs. I have found this game to be harder because of the lack of a joystick. Its a shame so many buttons are in the game, I prefered sensible soccer when it was 1 button. I do seem to find against a team I can score loads of goals in one match even against the hard teams. Other matches I can't seem to score at all and the goalkeeper saves everything.
Old 09 June 2006, 02:52   #14
Da Rush
Zone Friend

excuise me lad's, as the game come's out today on the ps2 (not sure if its out on other machines yet) i am hoping to buy this today and i would like to hear your oppinions on this especialy from people who love the older versions. iI mean it is as good as the older ones and does it it rely feel the same as them

I was a hardcore swos player and hope to be again, so to the people who have played this on the pc or the ps2 i would be greatfull to hear your comments

cheers
Old 09 June 2006, 03:24   #15
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

@Da Rush you have all the comments you need here allready! is some Pro and Some negative (ie mine levelled only at the controller situation i don't like Xbox controllers i prefer ps2 controller!) others have said they like it like Bippym etc. I have to Admit it does seem to have the feel of the Original Sensi i can't comment on SWOS as i never played it!

My Friend has just told me the PC verison is out now if it really is i'll get it and let you know, I've played 5 times on xbox and managed to score only 3 goals because i got controller mixed up when i scored the 3 i can't remeber which config i was on hence why i want to wait for the pc verison!

At first i played crap easy team but then i played against paraguay our first world cup opponents and only scored 1 goal in 3 matches lol

This game WOULD not be good on keys thats just my opinion! i used to have fingers of lightning on Mortal kombat 3 etc but age is catching up with me lol
Old 09 June 2006, 08:36   #16
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

Its not badly priced at £17.99 on the xbox and ps2, and £14.99 on the pc.
Old 09 June 2006, 12:54   #17
Da Rush
Zone Friend

cheers lads, i know what u mean when u say that u dont like the xbox pad cos i also dont like it, i play fifa on the ps2 and thats what im used to and when ive tryed to play it on the xbox it feels like a completely different game and i blame the pad so now i dont bother playin it when i go round to me mates house as it give's a bad representation of myself lol.

it defo good hear that the game itself seems to hold up well with the old ones anmd aslo what a price (at first i wandered why it was so cheap as some times it's for a reason )

But im definatly gonna get this and like somebody said if alot of people buy this 1 the the manufactures know that there is a demand for it and hence will have the chance to iron out the creases (there always is) for the next 1

*baz goes out to buy it *
Old 09 June 2006, 20:25   #18
scarface

just downloaded the game and looks great!
Perfect timing too with the wc and all
Old 09 June 2006, 20:34   #19
Sly294

I like it !!!

Codemasters done a good job on this one and i hope they get alot of sales as if they decide to make another version (SWOS 06'07) i hope it will include the famous career mode as that would be a dream come true.
However there are a few "niggles" in the game but i found that to be minimal and not a put off at all. (goalkeepers tend to be to good on some sites..so they say.)
I played a few friendley's and the World Cup, Which i beat Germany 4-0 in a group stage was chuffed about that one, not quite the 5-1 buy hey im not complaining
Anyway, Sensi fans this is a must, and i hope you all buy it. (ok i downloaded it as well but i intend to buy, as they deserve our support.)
Old 09 June 2006, 23:06   #20
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Bad news guys it dosent work on a geforce 6600 (512mb) pity cause i was gonna go out and buy it hope they fix it soon!

Have joined the forum and another member has exact same issue as me and his system is virtually identical to mine tried both demo and a download and both come up with same error!

i will buy it when they fix it!