English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 February 2020, 20:06   #461
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxman View Post
To make it clear, the "fool" as you call him (which is, by the way, very condescending) has made it clear that he didn't want to force anything on you.
He did it again and again after I already told him in a friendly way...
a) I won't change anything just because one person thinks he knows what's the best for the game I am developing since 3 years.
b) tastes differ on things.

This sense of entitlement feels really crazy to me.

Quote:
You reacted there like a toddler whose pudding was taken away.
I was getting angry, and rightfully so.
Like I wrote there, I have only experienced something like that one time on the Amiga FB group, where some asshole thought he'd need to tell me my game looks like shit because it's not dithered through and through.

And that fool on A1K called my music "horrible shit", and told me how it needs to be done.
Yeah, but I am the toddler because I feel offended by this behaviour.

Quote:
Then you withdrawn childishly from the forum to blaspheme here.
I have withdrawn from the discussion, since I didn't want to start a war there, being a mod there and everything and let things cool down.

If you call that childish, whatever.
I don't give two cents about your opinion anymore, to be honest, after you sided with that dude against me.

Quote:
Incidentally, the user also shook hands more often after noticing that you were upset.
I would have preferred if he'd understood what he did there instead of pretending he "gives me a friendly hand" to blow sugar up you other mods asses.

But he said again and again that he doesn't see an issue with treating creators the way he did.
So honestly, he can fuck off.

Quote:
And you have been told from several sides that you see it wrong.
Yeah, especially from you. Thank you. You have been so helpful.
I had a private conversation with the other involved mod by the way, where I explained what my problem is, and he understood it.
And other people writing me that they felt what that guy did was disrespectful.
So that leaves only you.
Thanks again.

Quote:
It looks like you can't handle criticism.
Bullshit.
I have heard so many criticisms and weird ideas over the years regarding my game, and I have ALWAYS stayed polite and considering. Over tens of pages of discussion.

And you know why? Because those criticisms were worded in a way that was respectful.

That bloke behaved like I owed him something, and being confronted about it I got Flak, and not only from him but from you as well.

The only thing I have to say is fuck off to that attitude.
I have spent three years on this game, and I don't owe anybody anything.

I am happy if people like what I do, and if they don't I don't give a shit. Then don't play it.

But, NEVER tell me how I MUST design my game.

Quote:
The game coulde be great, no question, but get used to dealing with criticism.
Yeah, I promise I will bow down to entitled fools in future, and change my game on every whim because somebody thinks I have to comply to his vision of what a SHMUP needs to be.

If that is the way I have to behave there, then I am done with A1K.

Last edited by Steril707; 09 February 2020 at 20:22.
Old 09 February 2020, 20:21   #462
Foxman

Your reaction alone shows that you see the whole thing too seriously and take it.
Do your thing and hear positive and negative things. But don't take it to heart and don't be offensive.
As I wrote on a1k, it's your game and you decide, but don't react over just because someone doesn't like what you do.
And Ernie (whom you call a fool) is an artist himself and a good member of a1k.

Besides, you also "criticized" Ernie (whom you call a fool) for the packaging of Slamy which he designs. But Ernie took the criticism and didn't run away. Just think about it.
Old 09 February 2020, 20:32   #463
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Quote:
Your reaction alone shows that you see the whole thing too seriously and take it.
Well, like I said, that bloke can go fuck himself.
If you don't like that, cry me a river.

Quote:
Do your thing and hear positive and negative things. But don't take it to heart and don't be offensive.
see above.
Quote:
As I wrote on a1k, it's your game and you decide, but don't react over just because someone doesn't like what you do.
Well, you don't get it, do you?
How many times do I need to explain to you the difference on "not liking something" i created, or telling me how "I MUST DO IT" instead.

I respect everybody's opinion on stuff I created, but if someone doesn't respect my opinion on it, I get angry. And rightfully so.

Quote:
And Ernie (whom you call a fool) is an artist himself and a good member of a1k.
Quote:
Besides, you also "criticized" Ernie (whom you call a fool) for the packaging of Slamy which he designs. But Ernie took the criticism and didn't run away. Just think about it.
Well, I think I have been super polite on that thread.

His stuff is on the level of a school childs drawing, and I gave him some ideas how he could improve composition, lighting and coloring In a super respectful way.

I don't remember telling him "BUT YOU HAVE TO DO IT LIKE I SAID", if he responded that he won't change something cause of my advice.

And that is the difference. But I could tell you this twenty times, you won't understand what the problem is, would you?

So, once again for you:

I respect everybody's opinion on stuff I created, but if someone doesn't respect my opinion on it, I get angry. And rightfully so.

Last edited by Steril707; 09 February 2020 at 20:42.
Old 09 February 2020, 20:46   #464
Foxman

Quote:
But again very clearly: I LIKE THE DEMO !!! Just not the music and yes I can live with who it stays. And NO, I had no way to attack or even insult you.
So let's be friends and in the end there will be a great game that I'm sure I will enjoy very much
Just ONE post from Ernie. But thats the wrong Forum to talk about this. I hope one day you will see it more calmly and not so seriously.
Old 09 February 2020, 20:56   #465
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Quote:
Just ONE post from Ernie. But thats the wrong Forum to talk about this. I hope one day you will see it more calmly and not so seriously.
Yeah, nice words, only after the shit hit the fan already and he noticed he gets some flak back finally after not getting the hints that he should have respected my right to keep my game as it is and not how he wants it.
Old 09 February 2020, 21:00   #466
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
But thats the wrong Forum to talk about this.
You got that right...

Take it to PM or back to A1K please; if you must
Old 09 February 2020, 21:09   #467
Foxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
You got that right...

Take it to PM or back to A1K please; if you must
No more to say, just i am looking forward to see the complete game in 2020 :
Old 09 February 2020, 21:41   #468
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

The demo is now at 500 downloads.
I have to admit, I am a bit surprised and also happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-09 um 22.19.46.png
Views:	218
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	66143  

Last edited by Steril707; 09 February 2020 at 22:20.
Old 09 February 2020, 21:48   #469
roondar

It's well deserved, the game looks great - it's all very professional, even before the beta test.
Old 09 February 2020, 22:02   #470
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
The demo is now at 500 downloads.
I have to admit, I am a bit surprised and also happy.
I think the updated demo will have even more downloads.
Old 09 February 2020, 22:06   #471
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

So much looking forward hearing your feedback on the difficulty, Predseda..
Old 10 February 2020, 02:07   #472
Tsak

@ Vulture

Cool, I'm just genuinely wondering. We also get requests for NTSC support but mostly from a few who still own NTSC only machines and TVs/Monitors (usually from the other side of the Atlantic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
Mainly for the bigger on-screen area, smaller black borders
See, with NTSC it's actually the opposite than what you write here. You get smaller on-screen area (320x200 for NTSC vs 320x256 for PAL) and thus bigger black borders (at least on PAL TV's/monitors). Unless you're using emulation and some modern widescreen monitor, in which case 320x200 might fit better if scaled (indeed).

Anyhow, sorry for the intervention. Please continue the game related discussion
Old 10 February 2020, 09:33   #473
spudje

I still have to try this (again). If the demo is the similar as on show on Amiga34, then the game is great I will really LOVE the music.

Tried the game once from my A4000 3.1.4 workbench, but it froze my setup. I'll write it to disk or gotek and try from there.
Old 10 February 2020, 09:42   #474
vulture

No problem Tsak, actually it is the other way around. Regardless of the number of vertical lines used by the game, monitors stretch the display vertically, resulting in a fuller display when a 60hz mode is detected (crt or lcd, same behaviour). I could post screenshots later, but I don't want to hijack the thread with this irrelevant subject, so sorry for the ot post, that was the last about it.

edit:
see this

[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
@ Vulture

Cool, I'm just genuinely wondering. We also get requests for NTSC support but mostly from a few who still own NTSC only machines and TVs/Monitors (usually from the other side of the Atlantic).

See, with NTSC it's actually the opposite than what you write here. You get smaller on-screen area (320x200 for NTSC vs 320x256 for PAL) and thus bigger black borders (at least on PAL TV's/monitors). Unless you're using emulation and some modern widescreen monitor, in which case 320x200 might fit better if scaled (indeed).

Anyhow, sorry for the intervention. Please continue the game related discussion

Last edited by vulture; 10 February 2020 at 09:50.
Old 10 February 2020, 10:25   #475
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

The real problem here is, that with NTSC you can blit a lot less per frame.
And games are made with PAL in mind, so you can either go for slowdowns, 25 fps or a lot less objects on screen.

For those few NTSC machines that are in active use, it's not really worth the comparatively much work, imo.
Old 10 February 2020, 11:14   #476
roondar

Yeah, it's a shame the NTSC Amiga's and PAL Amiga's really only changed their respective frame rate. NTSC Amiga's really should've run the Chipset/CPU at an about 17% higher clockrate than the measly 0,9% it actually did.

As is, people often think the NTSC Amiga's are much faster (because of the higher frame rate) when in reality they're virtually identical in speed, but have to update the screen faster.
Old 10 February 2020, 11:15   #477
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Yeah, it's a shame the NTSC Amiga's and PAL Amiga's really only changed their respective frame rate. NTSC Amiga's really should've run the Chipset/CPU at an about 17% higher clockrate than the measly 0,9% it actually did.

As is, people often think the NTSC Amiga's are much faster (because of the higher frame rate) when in reality they're virtually identical in speed, but have to update the screen faster.

This affects music mostly, where it is notable. The same with megadrive. If the game is programmed for PAL and you run it on NTSC machine, music plays too fast. And NTSC games on PAL machines are lazy.
Old 10 February 2020, 11:25   #478
roondar

Thinking about it some more, I got it backwards... PAL Amiga's were released later, the NTSC models are the original spec. So in essence, Commodore made the PAL Amiga's "too fast" by, err, not changing the clockspeed down

While I'm not sure I can complain about that (as it is nice to get the extra blitting time per frame), it's still the reason why converting PAL games to NTSC can be a challenge even if the screen size fits

---
Anyway, on the topic of NTSC vs PAL for Inviyya specifically, it seems to me Steril707 is completely correct: changing the game to be NTSC compatible (and run at 60Hz) this late in development is probably quite a bit of work and would entail a downgrade in number of objects that can be shown on screen. Such choices are best made at the start of the project, not at the end.
Old 10 February 2020, 11:34   #479
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Thinking about it some more, I got it backwards... PAL Amiga's were released later, the NTSC models are the original spec. So in essence, Commodore made the PAL Amiga's "too fast" by, err, not changing the clockspeed down

This is not too fair, because the reason for PAL / NTSC is the US / European TV standard. And you can not simply change the clock speed if your picture generator and is dependent on the overall computer clock.
Old 10 February 2020, 11:40   #480
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
This is not too fair, because the reason for PAL / NTSC is the US / European TV standard. And you can not simply change the clock speed if your picture generator and is dependent on the overall computer clock.
That part of the post wasn't meant all that seriously