English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 02 June 2015, 08:31   #21
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If you compare beginning your custom rom with official rom in hex editor, does first 8 or so values match? And similar texts (exec/copyright) are in approximately same positions?
Old 03 June 2015, 20:49   #22
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

@daxb
Yes I have. Tried to rebuild my unmodified 40.68 in alphabetical and datestamp order.
@Toni
Thanks for your input mr Wilen. I will have a look at that once I'm done rebuilding my Amiga HD. Flash memory isn't always forever.

Or perhaps... this might be WinUAE related?
Old 21 June 2015, 03:28   #23
eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwir3d View Post
Then I read something about the order of modules after exec.library also being important. Is that the case? If so, what would be the correct build order? The Mfilos guide only give alphabetical lists, as does ROMSplit. I've even tried creating a custom ROM using a sort command on the datestamps of the ROMSplit directory which did indeed put exec.library on top.
Hi, the order is neither random nor alphabetical. The order should be precisely the following:
Code:
exec.library
audio.device
battclock.resource
battmem.resource
bootmenu
card.resource
carddisk.resource
cia.resource
con-handler
console.device
disk.resource
dos.library
expansion
FileSystem.resource
filesystem
gadtools.library
graphics.library
icon.library
intuition.library
input
keymap.library
layers.library
mathffp.library
mathieeesingbas.library
misc.resource
potgo.resource
ram-handler
ramdrive
ramlib
romboot
scsi.device
shell
timer.device
trackdisk.device
utility.library
wbtask
wbfind
and, of course, all those files should be partially from Kickstart 3.1 or from Boing Bag 2 in case there is an updated version (i.e.: exec.library is contained in both Kickstart 3.1 and Boing Bag 2, however the Boing Bag 2 version is newer so we use that one). Do not skip any file! All the files are required! Also, you can name the files as you want - if you look at the list, the version number is deleted but it makes no difference to the resulting ROM. Always use the most recent file - or "tweaked" file, if you will... Even the slightest addition, omission or reordering will result in a crash.

If you want to add "tweaks" add them right after "wbfind". Careful though in case Blizzard modules require an order too. Do not add "tweaks" interleaved with the previous list, add them all at the very end after "wbfind".

I just got my ROM cooked. The ROM finally booted, startup-sequence was shorter. Life was good. :-)

Good luck!

Last edited by eva; 21 June 2015 at 03:34.
Old 21 June 2015, 07:42   #24
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Why do you think order is that important?

Exec needs to be first, it collects all other modules and puts them in priority ordered list. (Each module has a priority number in its resident structure header), if same module is found multiple times, version numbers are checked and newest one is selected.

Order of appearance in ROM should make no difference to actual boot phase initialization order. (Unless there is some weird and bad patch that breaks it!)
Old 21 June 2015, 15:42   #25
eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Why do you think order is that important?

Exec needs to be first, it collects all other modules and puts them in priority ordered list. (Each module has a priority number in its resident structure header), if same module is found multiple times, version numbers are checked and newest one is selected.

Order of appearance in ROM should make no difference to actual boot phase initialization order. (Unless there is some weird and bad patch that breaks it!)
For me it did - aside the exec.library, here are a few attempts (this took like 3 hours to sort, replace ROM, reboot, crash, reboot without startup-sequence, replace ROM, reboot, make new ROM etc...):
  • If I place datatypes.library in-order within the list (alphabetically), then the Amiga refuses to boot. If I place it after the list above, the Amiga boots fine.
  • I made a mistake and inserted ramlib a few lines after exec.library rather than in-order the list as I mentioned above and the Amiga didn't boot. When I placed it back in the list where it should be, the Amiga booted fine.

Perhaps you are right but it did not seem to work for me in Remus. I needed to keep the sequence exact otherwise the Amiga crashed - either yellow screen or just got stumped. Then I could add the "tweaks" and patches at the end (I have very few of those BBlank, NoClick and the likes).

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's related, but I checked the BlizKick manual because I remembered something, quoting:

Quote:
AlertFix fixes Blizzard PPC [...] NOTE: If you use both NewAlert and AlertFix you're recommended to specify NewAlert before AlertFix.
It seems that some Blizzard modules are position dependent. I'm not sure how that applies when you actually cook the ROM instead of loading the patches dynamically but it seems that some sort of order is implied - at least for Blizzard modules.

Last edited by eva; 21 June 2015 at 15:54.
Old 21 June 2015, 16:26   #26
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Perhaps those modules that depend on order all have same priority? (probably zero, if they are disk-based normally), in that case insertion order of course matters.
Old 21 June 2015, 16:45   #27
eva

Quote:
Perhaps those modules that depend on order all have same priority? (probably zero, if they are disk-based normally), in that case insertion order of course matters.
Yeah. I'm not sure. What is worse is that if you have a module added already in the build list and then you click a different version, Remus will detect a duplicate and it will replace it, but not in the position that it should be. Remus just removes the module and adds it at the end. That screws-up any updates...

What I do now, is load the modules, save the project, then sort them using a text editor and reload the project. Otherwise, you cannot reorder them in Remus, or at least I have not figured it out yet...